Ypsilanti, MI

Olive M. Adams Elementary School 1

Posted May 22, 2014
A public STEM Academy sounds like an amazing opportunity, but this school is no better than any other low-rent area school. The food is so bad most days my child would rather go hungry. They get food from the lowest bidder and most of it goes in the garbage. They do not maintain the property outside during the winter, so the roads and sidewalks are always covered in snow unless it melts on it's own making walking and driving treacherous. Gifted children are not challenged. Special needs children are thrown in with the lot and not given enough attention.

Posted June 23, 2013
This is one of the strongest elementary schools you will ever find. Adams teaches children to be critical thinkers, and has an excellent staff, who give every single kid the opportunity to succeed academically. I feel truly lucky that my kids attend Adams STEM.

Posted May 20, 2013
My two kids were enrolled at A2 schools, where many will tell you things are better. Don't believe it! There are higher meap sores there, that's it. That is not a reflection of a school's quality. My two shy, smart, kids were completely out of place in A2 schools with the rude, competitive kids of rude, rich parents. There are terrible bullying problems at both Bach and King, and the teachers all but ignore it! Their attitude is to pretend it isn't happening, or blame the victim, especially if you aren't the child of an affluent A2 family or a U of M staff member. We moved, and my two kids transferred to Adams, where my youngest now also goes, and they are now thriving! My kids were nervous, shy, and miserable before, but they are happy now and their grades are even higher! Let me tell you something about meap scores: they are based on income and home life. The same bright kid from the same focused family will do well in Ypsi schools and the same troubled kid with the same tough home life will do poorly in A2 schools. The teachers at Adams are so incredibly dedicated. My shy kids are now doing extracurricular school plays! I would never have imagined it. Adams is a great school.

Posted May 20, 2013
Like the comment directly before, I am writing this review due to a Facebook discussion about Ann Arbor schools vs.Ypsilanti schools and talking about Adams specifically. As another parent who has experience with both districts, I want to say that I am happy with Ypsilanti schools and my child is very successful at Adams. I would also like to say that we should remember that the consolidation is about to make these schools an stronger choice. My kids too had social problems in Ann Arbor (at Logan). It seems that only the affluent parents say their kids are perfectly happy there, and the middle to lower income kids get picked on a lot more. I know that Ann Arbor schools get higher test scores, but kids with families that care about education get the same scores everywhere. I guess I might have thought that more lower income students in the mix would equal more bullying but it is the exact opposite. There is a positive culture at Adams, and students have great opportunities to excel. My child needed tutors and help before, but her learning issues magically vanished when she found a school that she could feel comfortable in.

Posted March 02, 2012
Love Adams STEM Academy!! Dr. Thompson is a terrific principal. The staff is wonderful. The open door policy the whole school shares is amazing. It's easy to talk to the teachers, as well as Dr. Thompson, about questions or concerns that you may have about your student or the school. The after school activities that are available are many and varied. It's a wonderful neighborhood school!

Posted March 02, 2012
Adams is a great school!! The support staff, staff and administration are extremely dedicated and care about the students that pass through these halls! The parent teacher organization is wonderful!! They are very active and provide fun activities for the students on a regular basis. Everyone seems to work together!

Posted March 02, 2012
Adams is an amazing school. The staff are flawless and the learning environment is fantastic

Posted March 02, 2012
i have two children that go to Adams and we love it! the teachers are great, and are very caring. They always seem open and willing to listen and are always open for suggestions. We also enjoy that the school is very family oriented and has several activities going on. The principal is great, and holds her staff accountable. I would definately recommend this school to all! We love it!

Posted February 27, 2012
Adams is a wonderful and supportive school. The principal, teachers, and support staff are excellent and driven to see our kids succeed. From the highly-skilled and devoted teachers to the great Parent Teacher Action Group: great things are happening at this school. Yay Adams!!

Posted February 27, 2012
Adams is an awesome elementary school. Centrally located in the heart of depot town, its neighborhood feel is very appealing. The teachers and principal are dedicated to making every student successful. The school climate is very welcoming and there is a strong sense of family. Their partnership with the University of Michigan is very impressive. My child loves engineering club and the YMCA programs. Got to love where Ypsilanti Public Schools is heading!

Olive M. Adams Elementary School
503 Oak Street, Ypsilanti, MI  48198
Last modified Olive M. Adams Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Olive M. Adams Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top