Childs Elementary School

Public | K-5 & ungraded | 588 students

Posted February 16, 2012

Childs Elementary is a wonderful school. My child loves going there and has wonderful teachers and staff who care about his education. The PTO and parents who volunteer are what help makes the school and students suceed along with the awesome teachers and staff. Childs offers everything my child needs for a great education.

Posted February 15, 2012

There is much to like about this school. The teachers, administration, staff and parents all contribute to making this a safe, fun and challenging environment for our children. Programs and activities are available to help our kids learn in many different ways. Chess club, musical productions, science fair, Advanced Reading nights iPads and more help keep our kids engaged and constantly learning. I am confident Childs complements what I am doing at home to help me prepare my children for a bright future.

Posted February 15, 2012

We have had many wonderful experiences at Childs Elementary. The staff is very caring and supportive. I have had two children move on to the middle school and both have excelled there. I believe their strong start in elementary has greatly contributed to that success. There are numerous events sponsored by the PTO. This is a school with very active parents and staff. It is great to have my children enjoy going to school and anticipate all the great events they are able to participate in.

Posted February 14, 2012

My fourth and youngest child is in his last year at Childs Elementary. My oldest started there in second grade when it first opened. Our family has had such a wonderful experience. Their instruction has been top notch, preparing them for middle and high school where they have all been very successful. The level of community spirit and involvement is above and beyond! The PTO sponsors many events, clubs and activities. We love this school and will be sad to leave. It really is like a family!

Posted January 3, 2012

After much research after deciding to relocate from another county in Michigan, we settled on this area. I was determined to have my child in Child's after reading the reviews and talking to a few people in the area. She has attended from 2nd grade and is now in 5th. The experience has been great!. The curriculum is challenging. There is a no tolerance policy for bullying or aggression in the school that is actually followed. My child participates in a peer assistance program that I believe builds character in which she helps children in her class with special needs. I would recommend the school.

Posted October 26, 2011

I'm a former student here. I must say out of my month of Redner, Middle School, and my few months so far of High School, Childs was the best school I've gone too. The teachers were great, the Friendship Group I was in to help me express my emotions as I had problems with that after my speech problems. The classes were fun too, though the school dropped several of the fun activities some of the grades did the year I got in... The food was probably the worse part though, I don't like Aramark. I've had a rock hard pancake once for LUNCH, and you're given a couple the a little bigger than the size of your fists. The lunches in the Middle and High school are like no diffrent though. Thankfully the lunch staff were great and the playground was great. Sadly though I returned it a few years later to see a few things looking in need of cleaning or repair, but thats 8 years for you.

Posted October 26, 2010

The teaching staff is wonderful!! My kids have never had a bad teacher and they learned so much. They also make an effort to have so many activities for the kids.

Posted October 25, 2010

The teachers and staff are awesome!

Posted June 16, 2009

I'm a student at Eastern Michigan University and observe at Childs often and it is a wonderful school!

Posted June 11, 2009

I have had four children attend Childs. I and my children have loved every teacher we have gotten. The teachers and staff are very involved and care about all of the students. They have many extras for the children to be involved in, which includes a musical, fun night, concerts, environmental club, literacy nights, etc. Regarding previous comments on the PATT organization. I found that in prior years they did not seem as welcoming, but they have undergone new leadership and I feel that they are very welcoming and open to new ideas. I highly recommend this school and am looking forward to another year there.

Posted October 28, 2008

Childs has been a great experience for my children. They are challenged academically in a friendly atmosphere. I know many teachers at Childs and all of them are skilled, hardworking, and generally care about every child in the school.

Posted August 23, 2008

My son attended child's from 1st through the majority of 4th grade. The teachers he had were great...in particular, Mrs. Bailey and Mrs. Fisher (Furterer). The school has had huge problems with leadership though. I was very active in the PAT, but I feel the majority of the PAT members are not welcoming to new parents and their ideas. Being quite rude to them at times. The district overall provides a subpar education. While my son attended the school, I felt it lacked academically, and soon realized how greatly it lacked when we moved to a new state. At my son's new school, I was thrilled to see they were using the same math program. I was then shocked to find out that Child's was over 100 pages behind (30 units/lessons!) behind the new school! Child's overall was a disappointing experience. I'm glad our son no longer attends there.

Posted June 24, 2008

My son had Mrs. Kettlewell for first grade. She is the Kindest most Considerate person. She truly cares about each and every student. She responds to parents concerns immediatley. She is the perfect First Grade Teacher. ~K.Gottlieb

Posted May 13, 2007

My son attends Childs. He is in the second grade. His teacher is Mrs.Cherry, she is by far one of the best. She prepares the children for third grade and beyond. I am very pleased with the school. The new principal brought a great change to the school. She is greatly appreciated.

Posted June 27, 2006

The 2005-2006 school year was my son's first experience at Child's Elementary. He attended a different Lincoln school for Kindergarten and First grade. We can't say enough good things about this past year. We loved it! We especially loved our teacher, Kathy Bailey, She was the best teacher we've had by far! She cared for the students and made learning fun. She was able to handle situations in the classroom, rather than send notes home about minor situations. The Child's staff was helpful and friendly. The building is beautiful and the extra events that the school held were really fun. The only downfall I've experienced so far is the PAT organization. Not very friendly or open to new faces. If you're interested in attending Child's, you will be pleased with what you find!

Posted January 12, 2006

My son is a 2nd grader at Child's - everyone from his teacher, Mrs. Bailey, to the special education teachers, to the cafeteria and secretary staff, has been exceeding my expectations since he started there. Everyone is helpful, compassionate and willing to go the extra mile to make my son feel special. The special education group have been able to help my son with math, reading and language. He is making huge strides. His teacher, Mrs. Bailey, is creative, loving and geninuely interested in the success of each child. We are very happy our son goes to Child and we highly recommend this school to everyone we know.

Posted October 2, 2005

We relocated to the Lincoln District 2 years ago. My son was attended Childs the first year it opened. As with anything new it takes a while for things to get in order ex, the busses. This is the 3rd year for the school to be open and things are right where they should be. I now have a daughter in the second grade and I could not be more happy with the school. It is very modern, the library is awsome and the classrooms are large, have computers and are state of the art. I have been most impressed with all the teachers. They are all wonderful and truley care about our children. Child's is a great school, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Posted August 17, 2005

Childs is a great place to learn. The staff are all highly qualified, love children, and most go out of their way for the kids. Last year they had a Multicultural Night that was awesome. There is a lot of parent involvement, and the PAT is just one way to get involved. The building is relatively new, but the kinks seem to be working their way out and things finally getting into a grove. Check out their website to see more about what's going on. If you've got a child in the school you should look forward to the brand new newsletter that will start this fall! With a brand new principal, hopefully this will be the best year ever!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 12, 2005

The principal quit half way through the school year, which made me question the district. The leadership in the district is moving out, so maybe with new people in key positions, the district can start focusing on important things... the kids! Childs staff did an amazing job with all the transitions in their leadership and I'm proud to have my child attend Childs elementary.

Posted October 18, 2004

To sum up my experience with Childs Elementary I'd say as a parent it's been a challenge adjusting to the way some issues are being handled by the principle and the school district. Issues such as getting a crossing guard implemeted. This school building might be new but the district has been around awhile. This elementary building was built because of growth of the new subs coming in and homes within walking distance to the school but it is taking parents complaining and a year and a quarter after the school opened to think, 'Oh ya maybe we need to get a crossing guard to help kids get across Bemis Rd. safely'. It should have been addressed before the school opened it's doors to students. Other issues I have are with the lack of equality between same-grade students, the lunch program, busing, etc. I am a parent of three attending Childs.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

100 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

100 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

97 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

97 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 31% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Mr. Jeffery Petzak
Fax number
  • (734) 484-1212

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education