Public charter
Ypsilanti, MI

Posted January 23, 2015
I am a teacher who has been at Fortis for many years! Throughout that time I have seen many things change, but only for the better. We challenge our students more and more every year to make them ready for high school and college. Every teacher in our building is very kind, loving, and caring. They go above and beyond for all of their students. They are continuously looking at their students' tests scores as well as classroom performance then the necessary changes are made in the information being presented to the students to better meet their needs. These are just a few reasons why I feel Fortis is an amazing place for children to begin their educational career!

Posted January 22, 2015
I am a teacher who is also a parent of two current students (kindergarten and seventh grade) and one alumni student (who is currently a very successful freshman at an area high school). Fortis is an amazing place filled with staff members who care about each individual child and his/her growth. Teachers strive to challenge each child at their academic level and ensure the necessary growth to achieve college bound status by the time they graduate from Fortis. I highly recommend Fortis for any age student!

Posted January 19, 2015
We love Fortis! My daughter is currently in the fourth grade. The only bad thing was the waitlist. Her name was chosen the week before school started and I had enrolled her in a private school. I called that school, and got her in Fortis and thank goodness! I went to a private school similar to the one I had enrolled her in, and I feel her education is as good as, or possibly better than what I had. FREE! What a blessing! All of her teachers have been fantastic and the principal is always attentive and on site. She has been in the accelerated classes, and it amazes me at the things she is learning and doing. Tons of extra curricular things too: clubs, sports, movie nights, skate parties, dances... and the list goes on of things to do with newfound friends within the school community. She has been there since Kindergarten and can't see any reason why she won't stay through the eighth grade. I would highly recommend this school!

Fortis Academy 1

Posted January 15, 2015
I would recommend every parent to spend one day inside the class and school with their child, I guarantee you remove your child. The students aren't learning and are bombarded with tests every other day. The students aren't graded on anything but tests each week. Which isn't fair. Everyone doesn't perform well on tests. Some of the teachers are very rude and could careless about teaching. The turn over rate for staff is outrageous. No real foundation has been set here so there's no order. I suggest you do research on any school you send you child to. This would never be an option for me!

Posted November 19, 2014
I love this school. I have a kindergartner and a third grader at this school. This is their first year at Fortis. My daughter came from AAPS, which I was completely dissatisfied with. I felt like the teachers and did not provide her with the attention she needs. She has excelled so much since being at Fortis, especially with reading and math, which were both her weaknesses last school year. I also really like how the staff and teachers really come to know each family at this school. It really feels like a family environment there. I highly recommend this school to all kids going into K-8 grade!

Posted May 01, 2014
I am a college student I did observation hours at this school. I have been to schools all over Ann Arbor for observation and this was far and away the best I went to. The teachers are kind, respectful, and knowledgeable. The principal and deans hold their teachers accountable and consistently check to make sure that they are actually teaching their students; this is extremely rare in a school (though it should not be). It was awesome to be part of the atmosphere at this school and I would recommend that people send their children their. They don't just fill students' minds with knowledge, they actually work to make them effective citizens.

Fortis Academy 4

Posted February 13, 2014
My child really likes this school. The teachers are supportive and there is a good environment for learning. I have never had a concern that was not promptly addressed and I feel the school is well ran. I plan on sending my younger child to this school when she goes to kindergarten as well since we have had a good experience there so far.

Posted January 05, 2014
My children have both gone to Fortis since kindergarten. My daughter is now in eighth grade and my son in third. Only my daughter has ever had a teacher leave mid year, once in kindergarten when the teacher's family moved out of state and the other this year due to pregnancy. The teachers and staff have always been nice, informative and kept us in the loop with what is going on with our children. They have worked with us to help our kids in many ways. Both of my kids are adhd and have been though the special education system at Fortis. My daughter was in special ed until fourth grade and my son is currently still receiving services. They saw my son needed more help in the classroom in kindergarten and they hired on an au para to be with him while he was at school to help him stay focus and to keep him from wandering off unsafely. She was phased out last year as he no longer needed her. Both my kids exceed their grade academically. Last year my daughter was bored to be repeating the same high school algebra she did in sixth grade yet the teacher worked with us on this and this year they are doing advance algebra and geometry. I always recommend Fortis to others and will continue to.

Posted December 13, 2013
Fortis Academy is an exceptional school with dedicated Teachers and Staff. The adjustable curriculum and nurturing atmosphere sets a parents mind at ease, all the while, providing a comfortable learning atmosphere for students. They cater to both the needs of the children and parents and preach parental involvement within the school, which lends itself to open and invaluable lines of communication between all involved. Whether it is a friendly wave at the beginning or end of the day, or the maximized effort they put forth to provide answers and solutions to potential problems, Fortis is a school that stands head and shoulders above the rest. With further emphasis put on integrity and morals, Fortis Academy delivers far beyond a quality education, providing developmental tools that last a life time.

Posted December 04, 2013
Fortis is a great school, my grandchildren have gone there for a total of nine years. The teachers are dedicated to the students and the curriculum fits the individuals needs. The principal is proactive and on top of everything that is going on in the school. I love the moral focus emphasis. The staff is also wonderful, You always feel special when you enter the school.

Fortis Academy
3875 Golfside Road, Ypsilanti, MI  48197
Last modified Fortis Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fortis Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top