Anoka Senior High School 1

Posted May 21, 2013
I attended this school for my freshmen and sophomore years and I could not have had a worse experience. Whether it was racism, drugs, or bullying, this school was a safe haven for students who fed off of tormenting others. I saw other kids getting picked on, racist remarks my teachers and students, drug usage, and other forms of harassment at this school. Anoka High is a place were students will not be able to learn to their full capacity. If you are a parent who is considering sending your child to this school, don't. I personally recommend one of the other district schools such as Andover and/or Champlin Park.

Posted April 26, 2013
Every high school has a few dud teachers and Anoka is no exception, but in my four years at the school, I always had one or two instructors with whom I really connected. Like anything else in life, what you get out of high school is directly proportional to what you put in. My fondest memories stem from my involvement in extracurriculars. The music program is excellent - I went to college and was disappointed because the band didn't stack up to the intensity of my HS experience. Athletics are up and down, but coaches genuinely care about players, especially if players care about the game and the team. Even when I got suspended, the administration was fair, non-judgmental, and supportive. The relationships I fostered with my teachers and classmates at Anoka still define who I am today. I was well prepared for collegiate studies, and the instructors took a personal interest in preparing me for success as an undergraduate, which has now rolled over into success in graduate school. Bottom line - no one wants to be a husky, bengal, cardinal, rebel, elk, pirate, oriole or a crimson (what the heck is a crimson??) - be a Tornado. It'll blow you away.

Anoka Senior High School 1

Posted October 27, 2011
Being a student here, I've had one of the most negative experiences in my life. Drugs, discrimination, racism, suicides, and little visible efforts to create bonds between the "family" show that this school talks more than it makes happen. The teachers can praise as much as they'd like, but even the students know that we're all just going through the motions of having school spirit--it's hard to take pride in something that lacks motivation, change, production, and support for its own.

Posted March 05, 2010
Anoka is a great school when it comes to academics, activities, sports, and teachers; but it has a huge drug problem and more and more kids are winding up in gangs. I have heard too many stories about kids getting messed up. If you look beyond this, the school is a great place that produces some of the best young men and women I have ever seen.

Anoka Senior High School 0

Posted October 25, 2009
Best high school experience ever. My boys are proud to attend Anoka. Teachers and administration are wonderful. The music program is unequaled anywhere. The football program is wonderful at the underclassmen level but is very political at the varsity level.

Anoka Senior High School 5

Posted October 02, 2009

Anoka Senior High School 3

Posted December 07, 2007

Posted December 06, 2007

Posted September 24, 2004
I have one graduate & one current senior at AHS. The school's enrollment declined after Andover High opened. This is a large school district as a whole, but I feel AHS has been a good school. Keeping involved is key to any students success. Attend conferences, check out their website, attend a sporting event. My daughters lettered in academics & sports.

Posted April 10, 2004
- a former student
Yes, it is crowded, athletics are mediocre (although great hockey programs), but music department is terrific. It's known state-wide, and often receives excellent marks in competitions (for band, orchestra, and choir). Academically, this school has the potential to prepare students to go to Ivy League schools (and typically sends a few each year to US News Top 25 schools). It offers 3-4 AP courses per year, which isn't too bad. The teachers need to have more experience teaching for the AP tests, because the average AP test score would be a 2 (out of 5). Would the kids who go to Ivy League schools go to those schools regardless of which school they attend? Maybe, but Anoka nutures kids who want to excel, and provides them with more challenging options if necessary. Overall it's a great public school where there are plenty of academic and extracurricular opportunities and niches for students.

Anoka Senior High School
3939 North 7th Ave, Anoka, MN  55303
Last modified Anoka Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Anoka Senior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top