Bad
Good

I attended this school for my freshmen and sophomore years and I could not have had a worse experience. Whether it was racism, drugs, or bullying, this school was a safe haven for students who fed off of tormenting others. I saw other kids getting picked on, racist remarks my teachers and students, drug usage, and other forms of harassment at this school. Anoka High is a place were students will not be able to learn to their full capacity. If you are a parent who is considering sending your child to this school, don't. I personally recommend one of the other district schools such as Andover and/or Champlin Park.

Every high school has a few dud teachers and Anoka is no exception, but in my four years at the school, I always had one or two instructors with whom I really connected. Like anything else in life, what you get out of high school is directly proportional to what you put in. My fondest memories stem from my involvement in extracurriculars. The music program is excellent - I went to college and was disappointed because the band didn't stack up to the intensity of my HS experience. Athletics are up and down, but coaches genuinely care about players, especially if players care about the game and the team. Even when I got suspended, the administration was fair, non-judgmental, and supportive. The relationships I fostered with my teachers and classmates at Anoka still define who I am today. I was well prepared for collegiate studies, and the instructors took a personal interest in preparing me for success as an undergraduate, which has now rolled over into success in graduate school. Bottom line - no one wants to be a husky, bengal, cardinal, rebel, elk, pirate, oriole or a crimson (what the heck is a crimson??) - be a Tornado. It'll blow you away.

Being a student here, I've had one of the most negative experiences in my life. Drugs, discrimination, racism, suicides, and little visible efforts to create bonds between the "family" show that this school talks more than it makes happen. The teachers can praise as much as they'd like, but even the students know that we're all just going through the motions of having school spirit--it's hard to take pride in something that lacks motivation, change, production, and support for its own.

I attended Anoka Senior High School although I was transferred my senior year so I wasn't able to graduate from the school. The school has great teachers that influenced my life who I still remember to this day. Overall I believe that Minnesota has a high bar for education, and I thought the cirriculim was really great at this particular school. They had a program that students could enroll in to receive college credits during their Jr. & Sr. year which is a huge jump start in the process. Not only do you start getting college credits early, but you learn what the college experience is like by getting your feet wet with one or two classes a semester which makes the transition easier.

Anoka is a great school when it comes to academics, activities, sports, and teachers; but it has a huge drug problem and more and more kids are winding up in gangs. I have heard too many stories about kids getting messed up. If you look beyond this, the school is a great place that produces some of the best young men and women I have ever seen.

Best high school experience ever. My boys are proud to attend Anoka. Teachers and administration are wonderful. The music program is unequaled anywhere. The football program is wonderful at the underclassmen level but is very political at the varsity level.

Last modified Anoka Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.