Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

These are some of the best teachers I've come across. They put in a lot of effort to ensure each child gets a good education. They take a personal interest in my children and make sure they are successful.

Amount of homework: Agree

Kids are given meaningful homework that help them understand concepts. They have opportunities to do their homework during Advisory, as well as get help with things they don't understand from their teachers during that time. They not only have individual homework assignments but collaborative assignments as well. I think this is preparing my kids for real-life situations.

Develops character: Strongly agree

VMSS has many programs that encourage kids to do their best and be their best. There is the Student Leadership Program and Citizen Scholar. These opportunities are offered to kids who show integrity and leadership qualities. You must give back to your community to be involved in these programs - not just get good grades. This teaches kids that the world doesn't evolve just around them - but about what they can do for others - a very difficult lesson to teach middle school students.

We just moved to this school district and I am so happy with VMSS. The principal and the teachers work very hard to ensure the kids are successful. I have a 6th grader and an 8th grader and they both enjoy going to school each day. They both LOVE their teachers and feel safe there. The school is set up differently than any other school I've been to - very open, with lots of collaboration areas throughout. They work hard to put STEM into each classroom and give the students 21st Century opportunities each day, along with a specific STEM day once a month for the entire school. Even though this school doesn't rank very high - I couldn't be happier that we chose this school, and I brag about how wonderful it is, every chance I get!

My daughter has thrived at VMS; she has been given the opportunity to try new things and academically she has been placed in appropriate classes that challenge. I know that VMS has a bad rap but have found the school to do a great job of treating kids as individuals and preparing them for high school & beyond. They do a great job of recognizing students for hard work & good character (instead of just grades) through their Citizen Scholar program. They are also one of the first in the state to have a Nat l Jr. Honor Society program. The diversity at the school is one of its greatest strengths & weaknesses, I don't know of another place in the south suburbs that will introduce kids to what the real world looks like quite like Valley does. It helps teach them tolerance & pushes them to figure out how to work with people from different backgrounds, these are two lifelong skills. But of the flip side of that is the challenges diversity poses. With the diversity in the student body (in ethnicity, race, & economics) comes friction & struggles. But even with some of those challenges I am happy my daughter attends Valley & plan to have my son attend in as well.

This school has been so good for my two grandchilren: supportive and caring Principal and administration; a diverse student body; excellent staff; provides outstanding leadership opportunities. They all much deserve such an award.

Its where I went, my sister went, and now my niece is going. It has won national school of excellence awards. The teachers are excellent teachers, the coaches are excellent coaches.

I recently attended, and have gone on to do well in high school and got into a respectful college with ease. All in all VMS did a good job, and i was taught everything i needed to do well in high school.

Not very good! Get rid of the open class rooms. Why are advanced students in with the not so advanced students? How do you not have physical education each day. Young boys are made to run around, they have alot of energy. Why is a young boy sitting in a classroom all day without any physical activity? This does not make sense. I would have never lasted in this enviroment when I was young. By the way I too was a boy with a lot of energy and found schools that teach only by lecture very boring and confusing. By they way, I am not a high school drop out, I am a father with a 4yr degree and a very important and respected employment.

Last modified Valley Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.