Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 28, 2015
I would like to thank Mr. Ryan Roseen at VMSS. We are a military family who are new to the area and we have a 6th grader and an 8th grader. During the summer, the school offered a Summer Enrichment program to get incoming 6th graders ready for middle school. Mr. Roseen was one of the teachers, and he made each day exciting and fun for my 6th grader so she couldn't wait for school to start. Now that school has started, my 8th grader has Mr. Roseen as a teacher each day and he is my son's FAVORITE teacher. Mr. Roseen has helped my son with the National Jr. Honor Society, the Student Leadership Program and encouraged him to compete in the school-wide Geography Bee. He even goes with the 8th graders at the end of the school year to Washington, DC and my son cannot wait to attend. Many nights at the dinner table are spent listening to my son talk about how much he enjoys learning from Mr. Roseen. He even says that he "never wants to disappoint Mr. Roseen by not doing his best work." Mr. Roseen is encouraging, motivating and caring. He reminds me of the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child." I feel so lucky to have a teacher in my son's life who is rooting him on and pushing him to do his best each day. 8th grade is a pivotal year for a kid and I feel that Mr. Roseen is keeping my child on the path to success - not only this year, but for years to come. There are many wonderful teachers out there, but Mr. Roseen touches my family through my son. Thank you Mr. Roseen - you are appreciated more than you know!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 28, 2015
These are some of the best teachers I've come across. They put in a lot of effort to ensure each child gets a good education. They take a personal interest in my children and make sure they are successful.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 28, 2015
Kids are given meaningful homework that help them understand concepts. They have opportunities to do their homework during Advisory, as well as get help with things they don't understand from their teachers during that time. They not only have individual homework assignments but collaborative assignments as well. I think this is preparing my kids for real-life situations.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted November 28, 2015
I think VMSS offers the students many opportunities to go above and beyond their regular classwork. They have competitions like Scholastic Scrimmage, Thinking Cap and the Stock Market Game. For those students who need a little motivation and work well under pressure - these opportunities give them a chance to study and be successful. These programs are on-going so kids get a chance to keep trying to get better while participating throughout the school year.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted November 28, 2015
I feel the teachers at this school put a lot of individual responsibility on the students which shows them respect. The teachers treat the students like young adults and work hard to get them ready for their next step in high school. They hold the kids accountable and expect the same in return. The environment at the school is very professional and respectful.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted November 28, 2015
VMSS has a very diverse population - one of the most diverse in the area. Just being around kids from other cultures teaches kids to be compassionate and caring. The diversity teaches kids to accept others for their differences, yet shows them how much they all have in common. The diversity at this school is one of the reasons we chose it. I want my kids to grow up thinking outside the box that is mid-America.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 28, 2015
VMSS has many programs that encourage kids to do their best and be their best. There is the Student Leadership Program and Citizen Scholar. These opportunities are offered to kids who show integrity and leadership qualities. You must give back to your community to be involved in these programs - not just get good grades. This teaches kids that the world doesn't evolve just around them - but about what they can do for others - a very difficult lesson to teach middle school students.

Valley Middle School 5

Posted November 28, 2015
We just moved to this school district and I am so happy with VMSS. The principal and the teachers work very hard to ensure the kids are successful. I have a 6th grader and an 8th grader and they both enjoy going to school each day. They both LOVE their teachers and feel safe there. The school is set up differently than any other school I've been to - very open, with lots of collaboration areas throughout. They work hard to put STEM into each classroom and give the students 21st Century opportunities each day, along with a specific STEM day once a month for the entire school. Even though this school doesn't rank very high - I couldn't be happier that we chose this school, and I brag about how wonderful it is, every chance I get!

Valley Middle School 5

Posted January 27, 2013
My daughter has thrived at VMS; she has been given the opportunity to try new things and academically she has been placed in appropriate classes that challenge. I know that VMS has a bad rap but have found the school to do a great job of treating kids as individuals and preparing them for high school & beyond. They do a great job of recognizing students for hard work & good character (instead of just grades) through their Citizen Scholar program. They are also one of the first in the state to have a Nat l Jr. Honor Society program. The diversity at the school is one of its greatest strengths & weaknesses, I don't know of another place in the south suburbs that will introduce kids to what the real world looks like quite like Valley does. It helps teach them tolerance & pushes them to figure out how to work with people from different backgrounds, these are two lifelong skills. But of the flip side of that is the challenges diversity poses. With the diversity in the student body (in ethnicity, race, & economics) comes friction & struggles. But even with some of those challenges I am happy my daughter attends Valley & plan to have my son attend in as well.

Posted April 24, 2010
This school has been so good for my two grandchilren: supportive and caring Principal and administration; a diverse student body; excellent staff; provides outstanding leadership opportunities. They all much deserve such an award.

900 Garden View Dr, Apple Valley, MN  55124
Last modified Valley Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.