Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This is a very good school, sometimes even great. This is coming from a parent of a minority student at the school. As a minority and like most places in MN, and the rest of the country for that matter, you're immediately relegated to a place between being ignored and condescendingly patronized. For our and our child's sake, we patiently and assertively persisted in demanding a fair and equitable treatment for our son who is flourishing at the school. As some have stated, the staff can be a bit cliquish and at times immature, especially when challenged (had often noticed teachers we've never spoken with assuming defensive postures based on our interactions they've heard from others). I think that generally goes with the teritory. Academically, our child is throughly challenged. Just returned from a winter concert this evening at the school, and now are convinced he's challenged as much artistically. All things considered, if your child is going to this school, consider yourself blessed. Some of the pettiness repeatedly mentioned in the comments here, we can all live without them from both ends, parents and teachers.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Again you have the tenured teachers teaching not the best teachers teaching in their areas of strength.

Amount of homework: Agree

Its about right as far as homework, the teachers aren't always teaching in the areas they belong because the union makes the district use tenured teachers over the best teachers, but that's true every where.

Develops character: Neutral

The majority students don't get this at home and the few that do are smacked down by the trash around them. I know some try speak up but bullies run it. So many parents have their heads in the sand.

Wonderful teachers and community. I see a review on this site complaining about a bullying incident that made the news. I saw that particular news report and it was one-sided (the other family was not there to defend themselves & there are 2 sides to every story). Regardless, staff and atmosphere are top notch. School district 196 has a wonderful reputation.

my son often complains about his experiences when he gets home. i also saw the video on fox 9

I personally did not have a fantastic experience with this school myself. It is filled with cliques and stuck up people. The minute you walk in the door on the first day you are given your placement on how popular and 'cool' you look to others. If you aren't involved in sports and athletics you are already practically shunned by half the school. Certain extremely popular people run the school and can even hold the teachers on a leash occasionally. The staff can be very good, but many of them care little about the student or their education. Some teachers alone can make your time there miserable. I am on my third year here and have already witnessed one fight and have heard of a couple more that have happened out of my watch. Though harassment (both physical and emotional) happens, 'bullying' itself is pretty rare, but that's usually as long as you (general you) accept the place you've been given compared to everyone else. 'Welcoming' and 'friendly' are not exactly the terms I'd use to describe the people here.

SHMS appears to have great resources available. My child just started attending this school last week and I was surprised to find in her school view account that she already has one tardy for getting to a math class late on the second day of class! She's still trying to adjust to the changes from elementary to middle school especially getting to different classes within a short notice. Newcomers beware.

The support staff at SHMS is great. I have two kids currently going there. One of my children need special ed and the teachers in special ed actually care about the kids. The online access to grades is a great tool. The majority of the teachers are good at getting the grades in each day. The Moodle page is new and supposed to help us as parents know what our kids are learning so we can help with homework. Not all teachers know how this works so not all of them are using it yet. Mr. Wilharbur said we will be seeing the teachers using it regularly in the 2014 school year. I have lived in this area the majority of my life. Scott Highlands has continued to stay on the cutting edge of education.

Scott Highlands was the best 3 years of my life! The teachers are amazing, and the students are all very kind. There was never fights or arguments and bullying was not present in the hallways. I got the best education a kid of my knowledge could recieve. I am so proud to be a Scott Highlands citizen.

Last modified Scott Highlands Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.