Blaine, MN

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted July 07, 2015
Not safe for anyone. Administration is the worst I've ever seen. Bullying is not only tolerated but supported with rewards and coddling even those who are violent. Not even the teachers are safe, let alone students. There is no teaching going on here, only behavior control by teachers who have no support from administration.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted July 07, 2015
NO, testing is chaotic and students are not held to high expectations of any of these.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted July 07, 2015
The only students who are rewarded are the unruly and violent ones. The good ones are ignored, and the unruly are empowered.

Posted May 20, 2014
As a student I started late at WMS as a eighth grader, I just want to say you can get as many tardys without detention. I have had a terrible year at this school. I am switching schools again. A lot of kids that are like me have dropped out and skipped months of school without caring. They stopped caring because some of the teachers don't discipline enough.

Posted March 27, 2014
Poor teaching, no followup with parents. Lots of bullying with no consequences. Very unhappy with this school, especially that they allow bullying.

Westwood Middle School 4

Posted October 26, 2013
We moved to this school district when my children were in 6th and 8th grades. They are receiving a high quality education and had to sprint to catch up from their previous district. There are lots of honors and advanced opportunities, tons of clubs and ways to be involved. The staff is very good as are the teachers. There are problems, but none that I haven't heard of or experienced in other schools. The key is staying involved and keeping the conversation open with your children. I would recommend this district highly.

Posted March 20, 2013
My child was bullied, threatened, physically hurt and went through a lot of emotional abuse. The school did little to deal with any of this. We had to pull her out of the school and open enroll her into a different district. Now she is doing great and has had no more issues. I should have never let her stay in Westwood for as long as I did. I will never send another one of my children to this school!!

Westwood Middle School 4

Posted August 11, 2011
I think people are forgetting this school was ranked 6 of 10 in the state. Not to bad. I think the teachers are great. Counsling staff is great as well. All schools will have bad seeds, pregnant teens, bullies etc. It is the way of the world. I have a child who goes there and two of her cousins. They are receiving a good education compared to some schools. My Brothers daughter transferred to another school and was way ahead of all the other students. So maybe those parents who are complaining should take a good look at themselves and their children before complaining.

Posted April 21, 2011
As a close relative of a student here, I have heard many complaints. She is picked on, hurt (emotionally and physically), and does not enjoy her learning experience. Do not make the mistake her parents have. This school has too many awful influences including pre-teenage pregnancies and drug use.

711 91st Ave NE, Blaine, MN  55434
Last modified Westwood Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westwood Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top