Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted December 08, 2015
A growth mindset is a key focus of the school and students are pushed to work hard and develop that desire to do well and work hard.

Posted December 08, 2015
Never have I met a staff so dedicated to the success of students. Teachers and Administration work hard to meet student needs and provide endless opportunities for learning. The students work hard and create a community of learners.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 31, 2015
Special education students are segregated from "regular" students, even when they're in classes together. Even when it comes to placement of lockers. My 8th grader was assigned a locker directly outside the special Ed classroom (which the students knew was a special Ed classroom, which he got bullied about). When my son was in 6th grade, he was told he needed to EARN a locker! He was not able to just have one like all of the other 6th graders.

Posted August 31, 2015
I am the mother of a smart boy who wants nothing more than to learn and get a good education that will prepare him for high school and college. He has struggled with depression for many years and instead of working with him and attending to his needs, they have held him back by forcing him to be in a special Ed program and sweeping him under the rug, rather than work with him and for him to reach his full potential. If you have a run of the mill "typical" student who can get by without support and understanding, then maybe this school is an ok choice. I do not recommend sending a kid with any sort of special needs here if you want them to learn anything or be treated as any other kid. They segregate, don't accommodate, and look down upon kids who are already struggling in ways, rather than be supportive and let your kid live up to their full potential and be something more to them than extra money for the school. It's taken until my son being in 8th grade at VVM to finally have them agree to what the professionals who work with my son out of school have been recommending all along. The thing I hate most, by far, is the segregation of the airstream kids and the special Ed kids. How can you move on and be successful when you're pretty much told from the get go that you're dumb and aren't even given the chance to prove yourself?! The biggest mistake I made was enrolling my kid in this school upon moving to Bloomington. I can guarantee that now he has finally (after years of "fighting" with administration on my part) been put on a lower level of special education services, he will not be attending high school in the #271 BLOOMINGTON district. I just hope the education he has received here will be good enough for him to be successful somewhere else.

Posted July 16, 2014
The teachers are nice, but in all the school is very sexest, and just plain bad. There a class I had in seventh grade the guys in it would yell provocative jokes across the class and the teacher did nothing, but when a female student would whisper asking what the homework was she would get in trouble. Then there was a incident when a male student brought peper spray to school, and was threatening another student with it. All the schoop did was give him I.S.S for a day. They gave it back to him at the end of the day too! Another thing is when we were talking about the Holocaust we watched a video about it. During the video a female student was mocking the people shown in the video. I've personally had multiple bad experience at this school.

Posted February 07, 2014
I think this school is THE BEST! I am in NOBEL! Valley View Middle is the only school where you can be in NOBEL. I was even on the news for it. Can ANY other school say that? No. We also had the twins here. Did ANY other school have the TWINS at there school? No. This is why I think it is great. And I'm doing 8th grade math in the 6th grade. Do I sound like they didn't teach me well? I don't think so.

Posted January 29, 2014
I am a student at Valley View and it is my first year here, and this is one of the best schools i have ever been to. This school really is a creativity-sprouting place where you can feel safe and secure and just be yourself! The teachers are very nice, funny people and the students are all kind, loving people with good hearts and smart brains. Even though we might have had a rough past, we have really changed and grown into a fun, learning environment. I always leave with a big smile on my face. I highly recommend this school to parents who want to see their child learn and laugh. :)

Posted January 29, 2014
I am a student at valley view middle school and I have some things to say about all these low ratings and distasteful comments. I am fed up with these stereotypes about this middle school such as drugs bullying and fights, for one they have amazing creative outlets. This school has really changed and the parents are leaving the decision to the students so please...... talk to the principal look at the school for what it is, not a typical middle school but a new learning experience altogether. Teachers, AMAZING. Programs, EVEN BETTER. So please give this school a second chance and a good rating

Valley View Middle School 1

Posted August 13, 2013
I just finished all three years at vvms and it was the worst expierence ever. Bullying while I was there wasnt an issue, but there was so many drugs, fights, and racial "jokes" every single day. That school has a lot of tollerance because most of the kids come from getting kicked out of Minneapolis schools. Bloomington has a lot of poverty and diversity as well which causes a lot of the problems at the school. Teachers aren't bad. The 7th grade odyssey teacher are amazing but the rest were all pretty careless about the students. I wouldnt send your child here if you want them to have a lot of potential for the future.

Posted June 26, 2012
I went to this school, and I have to say, it wasn't a good experience. I got bullied frequently, and no teacher I told cared. The teachers weren't very nice, and I wasn't a terrible child. Granted, I had a habit of drawing constantly, and I still do, but it was nothing to get too upset over. Over all, not horrible, but still, not good.

8900 Portland Ave, Bloomington, MN  55420
Last modified Valley View Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley View Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top