Bloomington, MN

Posted May 12, 2014
As I write this today, I have a fifth grader graduating from Hillcrest and a Kinder entering next fall. My husband and I are so incredibly pleased with Hillcrest, it's teachers, the principal, the specialists, the students, the custodial & maintenance staff, and other parents - a whole community that cares for one another regardless of ability, race, or any other differences we may have. The essence of this school is "family" and everyone takes part in the education of our children. We believe in the Artful Learning program and are very honored that we can enjoy all the benefits of this very special, welcoming school! I would encourage families to explore their options carefully and you will see that HIllcrest is FAR above other elementary schools in so many ways. We especially appreciate their Boule program that criss-crosses various ages and knocks down walls that could limit our children, and a wide variety of "welcome festivals" for grandparents and family to join in on the celebration of life at Hillcrest. The environment at Hillcrest promotes healthy, well-mannered, and empowered children - isn't that what we all want for our kids? We do!

Posted June 01, 2013
I have so many good things to say about Hillcrest, it is hard to pick just a few so to summarize how I feel about our school all I can say is that every time I go to the school I walk out saying to myself how lucky my family is to have such a wonderful school. I leave feeling happy that my kids are safe and cared for. I don't have any statistics but I can assure you this school creates kids who love to read and are motivated to read but most importantly they help the students become respectful and well mannered community members. There are days I go to volunteer and wish I could just stay the entire day, the students are wonderful and everyone is having fun and learning all day long. If someone asks me about our school I can truly respond "I Love Love Love our school".

Posted March 13, 2013
Hillcrest is an amazing school. I cannot say enough great things about the staff and families at Hillcrest. The leadership is excellent and the Artful Learning program is both challenging and fun for students. We feel so lucky to be a part of this community.

Posted February 27, 2013
Hillcrest teachers are attentive to each and every child's academic and social needs. We have two children that attended Hillcrest after leaving a private school. Both were behind in their reading skills. Yet, after one year at Hillcrest they both achieved scores at or above grade level expectations. Now, both children are thriving in Honors and AP classes in high school and college. Our third child attends Hillcrest now, years after our first two attended and the quality of education remains the same. The principal seems to know every child by name and makes them feel welcome at the school. Hillcrest Community School had a huge impact on the success of our children while in elementary school and beyond.

Posted February 24, 2013
I had a hard time knowing which selection to choose from the drop down menu, since I am both a teacher at Hillcrest and parent of two students of my own who attend the school. What I don't have a hard time with is stating what an absolutely wonderful experience my family has had with Hillcrest! All the teachers my children have had have been incredibly caring and supportive. Both of my children have been challenged academically and have grown tremendously. My two students know that Hillcrest is a community that cares - they truly love going to school every day! As a teacher at Hillcrest for the past 10+ years, I have been proud of the way we have served a wide array of families. Our school is a dynamic place to be - especially as we have recently given our focus to Artful Learning. We enjoy using this way of teaching to engage a diverse group of learners.

Posted February 06, 2013
I have three children who attend this school and I have found it to be a complete family. The principal knows all about my kids, but he also knows every child in the building. My kids are challenged in their education, and the focus on art integration has broadened their horizons. When at Chicago Art museum, both of my older kids immediately identified many pieces from the collection. The have many chances to use art in their learning. Teachers work with parents to help their kids be successful! The waiting list is long, but worth the wait!

Posted February 06, 2013
We have two children at this school and couldn't be happier. There are so many opportunities for them to be challenged and engaged in learning. There is a vibe at this school that is hard to describe. The teachers are caring they go out of their way to connect with our kids. The principal greets me by name whenever I see him. I like the sense of community here and I'm excited about the new arts focus for my kids!

Posted March 21, 2012
LOVE Hillcrest : ) Great teachers. Great families. So glad we found this place for our kids!

Hillcrest Elementary School 1

Posted March 05, 2012
My son was accepted in this school, he attended for three months. What a horrible school, he had a very bad teacher, arrogant, no patient , zero respect. I would advice people of color not to consider this school. I am glad I took my son out that school. We are very happy at the school we are in right now. Parents don't get fooled by this school rating, Hillcrest is only good for some, not for everybody. Parent should be careful about this school because their rating is just based on the group who are attending this school.

Hillcrest Elementary School 1

Posted March 05, 2012
My child was offered an opportunity to attend Hillcrest. We were excited about the schools ratings and thought it would be a great place for our child to attend. If I have any concerns about this school, its diversity. I m sure a lot of parents find it to be a great place and have good experiences. I m just saying personally we didn t feel comfortable. We are a Multi Cultural Family I think the school district may want to look more closely into the Hillcrest Environment. We support our school district and like to see the best in all our schools...

Hillcrest Elementary School
9301 Thomas Rd, Bloomington, MN  55431
Last modified Hillcrest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hillcrest Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top