Brooklyn Junior High School

Public | 7-9 | 845 students

Posted March 7, 2014

I like this school, and the new STEAM program. I think it's cool that we get to do all these things that are unique to the program.

Posted December 24, 2013

I am a Brooklyn Junior alumni. I currently play proffesional hockey and I can say without hesitation that if it weren't for the admins at BJ i would never have gainer the knowledge and respect as well as maturity to make it to this level of hockey. The teaching staff is great as well.

Posted November 12, 2013

Brooklyn Junior High School is the worst possible school to send your child. The teachers don't care about the child at all. You can't even contact any one over there. No one wants to help you when you have questions about the school or clubs that your child will be attending. When you attend the parent conference, the teachers don't even have anything to say about your child. Their Special Education is even worst. That teacher don't want to teach at all. All they do through out the school year is go on field trips. I'm switching my child out of that school. I wish I had listen to all the negative review about this school!

Posted August 13, 2013

The school has many cultural backgrounds, administration is great. Honestly they care for their students.

Posted June 7, 2013

I am a student at BJH and nothing could be better than this school. Don't hate

Posted June 6, 2013

Horrible school. No one ever wants to pick up the phone at the office. I had to call 5 times before anyone picked up and the person didn't even know anything so I had to drive there to get some answers. My daughter is always going on field trips to places like Target?! I guess it saves the teacher the trouble of having to teach. No wonder teachers don't want performance based pay.

Posted September 20, 2012

I have lived in Brooklyn Park for over 11 years. This is my third year teaching at Brooklyn Junior. The bad reviews from 2005 almost kept me from teaching in one of the best educational environments I have ever seen. When I first started working with some of the seasoned professionals in the building I could not believe the passion and dedication they had for their students. All staff including administration welcome students in the morning and monitor behavior in the halls every hour. Students have a wide variety of choices in classes including Standards plus, regular, and the newer STEM program. Staff work with students with a wide variety of academic ability. With programs like read 180 and fast forward students are identified and placed in appropriate remedial programs to help them catch up with peers. Staff collaborates in their departments and across the school with other colleagues to create Professional learning communities (PLC's)that identify needs in the building and content areas. These PLC's then develop action plans to help all students achieve more. The Administration staff maintains a safe and healthy environment for all learners.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 28, 2011

Brooklyn Junior High School is a great school. One of my boys attended as a freshman and another as a seventh grader. Both boys had great experiences. The principal works hard to create a safe environment for students to learn in. He also does a great job working with his teachers. Most of the staff my children had for teachers had been teaching at the school for more the five years with the majority of them being there for more than ten. The office staff is very helpful and the administration/guidance counselors are very willing to work with parents to ensure that the student is able to has the best possible junior high school experience. My boys took high performance classes and also participated in athletics and had great experiences. I very much reccomend this school.

Posted December 14, 2007

My son is now 9th grader at BJH and he has had a great junior high experience. I know that thee is a lot of hesitation with the school, but that is due to some parents and their own diversity issues. BJH is a great reflection of the diverse community that we live in and those that live in our neighborhood. The teachers have been challenging and my son is receiving a great education there. We are looking forward to our next son starting at BJH next fall!

Posted December 14, 2006

My Daughter has been at BJ for 2 years and I have only had 1 instance of teacher/student favoritism. The rest of the teachers have been fair and accessible if I need them. As far as extracurricular activities,some are offered in the mornings before school. My daughter is doing very well at BJ. I think some parents expect the schools to do there job for them.

Posted November 10, 2005

I have been pleased with my child's experience at BJHS so far this year. My son likes his teachers and feels very comfortable at the school. He has chosen to surround himself with good people and is really enjoying his junior high experience. As with all schools, there are some bad apples, but the majority of kids who attend school there are great kids. I have also been impressed with the staff members that I have met. They have been willing to talk with me and listen to me. I'm proud to be a BJ parent and my son is proud of his school too!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 14, 2005

My daughter loves her school. She would not dream of missing a day. I want to say this loud and clear -- there is no gang activity at bjhs. She has never been offered drugs or cigarettes etc. There is no tolerance for racism or bullying. The administration is so on top of problems that you see more suspensions but i would rather have that than an administration who was afraid to suspend because some affluent parent would sue. This is my daughter's 3rd year there and we have only had one 'dud' of a teacher. They are excited and engaged despite the tough job they have chosen - and bless them for doing it! i wish there were more extra-curriculars but you have to get your child involved at church or in the community. Parents who complain about that just want the school to do their job for them.

Posted June 13, 2005

I am highly shocked about all the bad reviews the parents have put. My honest opinion is that this school is one of the best. The first day my child attended BJHS he came back full of smiles, with great reviews about all of his teachers. I would recommened this school to anyone and everyone.

Posted April 18, 2005

Brooklyn Junior hisgh school is one of the worst school is one of the worst schools in the state! That is my honest opinion. I feel that the enviorment at the school is not a good one. My kids were bullied and picked on because of who they hung with. The school has no extracurricular activities and lacks any kid of help given to students outside of class. I don't think any parent should even CONSIDER taking there kids to BJH. There is a internal gang like activity in the school and a variety of types of violence. It is just ugly to even think about! I now drive my kids to Osseo Junior High every day.

Posted February 11, 2005

This school is a disaster! Do not send your child there! Unless your in sports, there are no after school actvities. Teachers are not involved in the learning process. As the other review stated the principal is rarely seen. Communication between the school and parents is very poor, i.e. poor grades. Unless your child tells you or you review their work on a regular basis you don't know if your child is doing o.k. until conferences, then it comes out. My child fortunately is doing well, but we have found out at conferences, about some potential issues that we could not have known about, through reviewing our childs work. The teacher failed to communicate with us. Staff and Administration claims of being concerned and caring and wanting to help are not in line with their actions.

Posted January 11, 2005

I feel this school is more concerned about whether your child is there on time, or there at all then the education and opportunities provided. The first couple weeks of school year is spent reading about what students can't do , what parents can't do, what's not allowed. What punishments there are for every infraction. Unless your in sports there are basically no opportunities. According to my child the principal is seldom seen. My child has found hair in her food. Lettuce for salad is often brown, other food is so undercooked it has grease puddles on it. State money for this district seems to stay in maple grove and does'nt get to the low income end of the district, where it's needed most. I would take my child out of the osseo district but have no way to get my child to a different school due to work schedules.

Posted August 24, 2004

I am also not impressed with this school. This is probly the worst schools I have ever seen in my life. I would only reccomend it to parents that don't care about their students education. Parents should really consider taking their child to a better school seeing that the teachers aren't really involved with the child's education because of 2 reasons. The first is that the class sizes are to big and second is the school has very bad surrounding!

Posted May 31, 2004

I'm not impressed with what I have seen here at BJHS. I've seen alot of bullying and intimidation. I prefer a stricter no tolerance policy. I've not been privy as to whether this school offers much for afterschool or summer activities. At this moment, I would rate this school from my own personal experiences a 2.

Posted November 30, 2003

Brooklyn Junior High is a great school and has alot of diversity in it. The great quality of teacher is one reason that I broght my nephew to this school. Its a great choice for a Junior High school!

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2010.

242 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2012.

286 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II (MCA-II) to test students in math in grade 11. The MCA-II is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2010.

272 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

258 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 44% in 2011.

266 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students62%
English language learners16%
Proficient in English68%
Not migrant62%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Minnesota Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data is not reported for that group.

All Students65%
English language learners17%
Proficient in English71%
Not migrant65%

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2013.

283 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-III (MCA-III) to test in math in grades 3 through 8 in reading in grades 3 through 8 and 10 and in science for grades 5 and 8, and once in high school. The MCA-III is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

276 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

276 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 44% in 2013.

301 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students47%

English language learners0%
Proficient in English27%
Not migrant23%

Writing

The state average for Writing was 88% in 2013.

267 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II Graduation-Required Assessments for Diploma (MCA-II/GRAD) to test students in grade 9 in writing and 11 in math. The MCA-II/GRAD is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. Students must pass the MCA-II/GRAD in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 28% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A37%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7377 Noble Ave North