Public charter
Coon Rapids, MN

Posted April 15, 2014
Northwest Passage is a very hands on school, with field trips to amazing places to help students have flavorful and enriching learning experiences. I used these trips as opportunities to step outside of my comfort zone, going camping in winter, hiking the Porcupine Mountains and even traveling to Guatemala (my first international trip). The teachers are amazing. The classes are credit based, and I have always found the teachers to be fair or even generous in this regard. It's based off from the time and effort a student puts into their project and how much they can demonstrate they've learned through the project. This really helped me in college, where credits are the norm and often teachers ask students to come up with their own project ideas for class assignments. Northwest Passage also helped me graduate on time, as I was a year behind from my homeschooling days, because I worked hard and made the most of the opportunities the school had to offer. I would highly recommend parents and students check this school out when considering high schools.

Posted April 09, 2014
I haven't been at north west passage all that long but I already love it much more than other schools because here I actually feel like I belong I don't feel just like another dollar for the teachers pocket. At my other school I felt like an outsider here at north west passage everyone I've met has been kind to me including all the teachers and other staff I feel like they actually care about whether I graduate or not and whenever I have a question someone is always there to answer it unlike regular schools north west passage teachers will take time out of their schedules for any student. Not only are the teachers amazing the classes are also interesting one of the first classes I took her was genetics and I learned a lot through the course the work was honestly fair and I feel like I really earned the credit I got.

Posted April 07, 2014
Northwest Passage truly is what you make out of it. If you sit around doing nothing, surfing the internet, then that is what you will do, wasting time and not earning credit or learning. It is NOT a day care, the teachers make it clear that you are in charge of your education. If you apply yourself, this school is amazing. At this school, I have learned to push myself to think outside the box, and I have learned skills that I take with me outside the classroom, such as problem solving, creative thinking, dealing with change, social skills, and to make the most out of life! I have went winter camping on the boundary waters, and hiked over 20 miles through the porcupine mountains. I was also given the opportunity to go to China, but I messed it up. (Other students were able to have that awesome experience thanks to this school!) Instead of memorizing a checklist of knowledge, at Northwest Passage students are challenged to take what they learn and apply it in a real life way, which in turn helps shape students into functional adults prepared to live in the 21st century.

Northwest Passage High School 1

Posted January 30, 2014
I got behind after dropping out, and when i went to treatment I got more behind. But the school we went to while in residential treatment was trying to give me a ton of credit for the time I was there, along with 2 credits just for being in treatment. They told me I could leave there with 25 credits, give or take 2. This school requires 21.5, and a regular public school would be 27.5. I thought going to an alternative school would be a quick few months of getting 2 or so credits & graduating. But Northwest Passage rejected all of my treatments schools credits & threw away a ton of other ones I earned at my old school. So instead of starting off with almost enough to graduate, I got 15. Im a SENIOR with the credits of a SOPHOMORE, where I definitely have earned the credits I dont have. Not only that. a full year here gets you around 5 credits, I have 4 months. The project based learning means you have to think of your own project to do so you can maybe get a half credit when you finish. My teacher in one class gave me .10 because I didnt respect her, but gave everyone else .50 credits. This place is a DAYCARE with internet access.

Posted March 05, 2012
This is the greatest school i have ever been to, all the teachers are nice and it is less formal than other schools. The project based learning is great, and everybody fits in. Nobody is left out at all, and there is no bullying, i was bullied in andover high and oak view middle school, everyone was mean, but here nobody is mean.

Northwest Passage High School 0

Posted October 05, 2009
It's a friendly environment, small classes, personal attentions, and a project-based learning curriculum that works the best I've found for me.

Posted March 23, 2008

Posted February 20, 2008

Northwest Passage High School 3

Posted October 30, 2007

Northwest Passage High School 4

Posted December 02, 2005
- a former student
I am a former student, and I am very grateful for this school and schools like it. I, like many other angst-ridden teens, had fallen through the cracks at two different public high schools. If it wasn't for this school and the amazing teachers, who knows where I'd be. They offer life-changing and eye-opening field trips to many destinations. I've had the pleasure of going on two of these and they were experiences I'll never forget, as well as the lessons I learned on these trips. Thank you CRLC, Gary, Kay, Jamie, and all the teachers I didn't include.

Northwest Passage High School
11345 Robinson Dr NW, Coon Rapids, MN  55443
Last modified Northwest Passage High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwest Passage High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top