PK-6|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The Montessori School of Duluth, located in the Hunter's Park/UMD area of Duluth, is a private, nonprofit, non sectarian school serving 75 students in grades PK -6.
June 20, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

This school has truly fantastic children's house teachers. They are very experienced, caring, and patient, You can not go wrong with having your children there when they are young. The elementary teachers are energetic, creative, and committed.

The teachers and staff are, hands-down, the kindest and most genuine souls I've ever met. They truly care about every single child, as if they were their own. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment for my children, and feel thankful every day for this amazing little school.

Before my sons started at MSD, I knew nothing of Montessori education. Now, I cannot imagine sending them anywhere else. The compassion and enthusiasm among this community is unlike anything I've ever witnessed in a school. My sons are thriving and the teachers and staff genuinely care about each and every child. More times than I can count, they have gone above and beyond to engage and encourage my children to push themselves in their education, and to nurture their interests. To us, the MSD community is like a second family.

I love this school and its teachers. It is in a wonderful building on a big, beautiful campus in a safe, quiet neighborhood and has over 30 years history putting the children first with incredible results. It has been Duluth's hidden gem for decades and grew and prospered on word of mouth alone. It is not, however, a daycare center, and never has been. If you want the best possible Montessori school for your child, you should look into it. If you want a "school" for your child that touts itself as being a DHS licensed daycare center, there are such options in the community.

MSD creates a natural environment in which the children can thrive and develop independently and without over-involving adults in a child's development. A child's growth is truly a miraculous mystery that this school does well to foster; independence and self-directed learning,--the hallmarks of the Montessori philosophy. Though at times difficult for us modern, eager parents and traditionally-taught teachers to let our kids' innate abilities to self-teach ripen to fruition; MSD allows my children develop naturally. The lesson I've learned as a parent is to more often than not, get out of the way of my children's growth. Just as in gardening, over-nurturing and too much activity by the gardener does more to hinder growth, so too in parenting and teaching.

We send both of our girls to the Montessori School of Duluth. In addition to following the Montessori method, this particular school benefits from a great location, experienced teachers, a dedicated Board of Directors, and an awesomely renewed spirit as led by its new Head of School, Joel Young, and Director of Administration, Lindsey Young. My kids will be there for the next decade.

This school is amazing! We have been enrolling our children for several years because we believe in this particular school and type of education it has to offer. Our children receive great 1 on 1 attention and are given freedom to choose their work and pace in this prepared environment. The school did go through some change over the past year as noted in other reviews, but just when I thought the education and school couldn't get any better it did! The new head of school and administration is amazing and are offering my children a superior education. One of a kind. The location of this school is tucked away in a residential and family friendly neighborhood on beautiful grounds. It's an inviting school house where the staff go out of their way to make you feel part of this small community. I highly recommend contacting the school for a site visit and to learn more about the amazing Montessori education provided here at Montessori School of Duluth!

My daughter is given so much care and attention by staff in this small setting and I feel it has been the best possible learning environment for her. The staff truly appreciate the children's character traits and strengths while also being aware of areas that need extra attention. Staff have been nothing but respectful and responsive to any and all concerns. The new administration has brought great energy to the school and I continue to feel very thankful my child has this learning environment. Would highly recommend a site visit and meeting with the head of school if interested in learning more!

A fantastic school with an incredible history and incredible future! We are so excited for our new head of school and wonderful teachers! The school's campus in a quiet, peaceful neighborhood is second to none. The building and grounds are perfectly designed for little learners. We feel so lucky to leave our children in the care of these dedicated educators. Sadly, some past parents spent years trying and continuing to try and undermine the school as they have created a competing school. It is sad that they are so misguided in their approach to Montessori and childhood education.

I have long stopped being angry at this school and wish everyone there well, especially the teachers and the beautiful children. Yet I believe it is fair to warn other families about this school. Please imagine something very bad happening to your child at school. This school will likely not believe your child and "what really happened" will be whatever the administration said happened. This school has a long history of responding to problems by attacking those who raise them; by driving families out; by treating parents with arrogance; and by putting the image of the school above the interest of the children. I wish problems like this had only happened to our family but I've now met parents with similar experiences going back decades. And I don't believe anything has changed.

Last modified Montessori School of Duluth is a Private school that serves grades PK-6