PK-6|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The Montessori School of Duluth, located in the Hunter's Park/UMD area of Duluth, is a private, nonprofit, non sectarian school serving 75 students in grades PK -6.
June 20, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Montessori School of Duluth 1

Posted June 18, 2016
Worst preschool, MSD has nothing to do with Montessori, don't bring your child here. I have terrible experience with them for multiple reasons; 1- They don't offer organize , age-appropriate activities that change regularly. 2- They prohibit parents from coming into the classroom at any time, ever, for any reason, not even for drop off or pick up. 3- The inability to handle criticism basically reflects the attitude of the school's new director, she is unprofessional, and for same reasons she moved from St. Michael's lakeside school last year. 4- Small rooms, unsafe facilities, they always ask parents for donation to buy new tools for the school This is an awful place for kids.

Posted May 04, 2016
The teachers and staff are, hands-down, the kindest and most genuine souls I've ever met. They truly care about every single child, as if they were their own. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment for my children, and feel thankful every day for this amazing little school.

Montessori School of Duluth
Grateful to: School leader

Posted May 04, 2016
Thank you for bringing everyone together and supporting such a passionate and talented group of teachers and staff. You're work is appreciated every single day.

Posted March 24, 2015
Before my sons started at MSD, I knew nothing of Montessori education. Now, I cannot imagine sending them anywhere else. The compassion and enthusiasm among this community is unlike anything I've ever witnessed in a school. My sons are thriving and the teachers and staff genuinely care about each and every child. More times than I can count, they have gone above and beyond to engage and encourage my children to push themselves in their education, and to nurture their interests. To us, the MSD community is like a second family.

Posted February 26, 2015
I love this school and its teachers. It is in a wonderful building on a big, beautiful campus in a safe, quiet neighborhood and has over 30 years history putting the children first with incredible results. It has been Duluth's hidden gem for decades and grew and prospered on word of mouth alone. It is not, however, a daycare center, and never has been. If you want the best possible Montessori school for your child, you should look into it. If you want a "school" for your child that touts itself as being a DHS licensed daycare center, there are such options in the community.

Posted February 11, 2015
MSD creates a natural environment in which the children can thrive and develop independently and without over-involving adults in a child's development. A child's growth is truly a miraculous mystery that this school does well to foster; independence and self-directed learning,--the hallmarks of the Montessori philosophy. Though at times difficult for us modern, eager parents and traditionally-taught teachers to let our kids' innate abilities to self-teach ripen to fruition; MSD allows my children develop naturally. The lesson I've learned as a parent is to more often than not, get out of the way of my children's growth. Just as in gardening, over-nurturing and too much activity by the gardener does more to hinder growth, so too in parenting and teaching.

Montessori School of Duluth 2

Posted February 07, 2015
This preschool is not licensed. I got something in the mail that mentioned this school so I started checking it out online and it's not licensed by the state. Check out the department of human services website for yourself. Maybe that's ok for older kids but it's not right for little ones like mine.

Posted December 18, 2014
We send both of our girls to the Montessori School of Duluth. In addition to following the Montessori method, this particular school benefits from a great location, experienced teachers, a dedicated Board of Directors, and an awesomely renewed spirit as led by its new Head of School, Joel Young, and Director of Administration, Lindsey Young. My kids will be there for the next decade.

Posted December 11, 2014
This school is amazing! We have been enrolling our children for several years because we believe in this particular school and type of education it has to offer. Our children receive great 1 on 1 attention and are given freedom to choose their work and pace in this prepared environment. The school did go through some change over the past year as noted in other reviews, but just when I thought the education and school couldn't get any better it did! The new head of school and administration is amazing and are offering my children a superior education. One of a kind. The location of this school is tucked away in a residential and family friendly neighborhood on beautiful grounds. It's an inviting school house where the staff go out of their way to make you feel part of this small community. I highly recommend contacting the school for a site visit and to learn more about the amazing Montessori education provided here at Montessori School of Duluth!

Montessori School of Duluth 4

Posted December 09, 2014
My daughter is given so much care and attention by staff in this small setting and I feel it has been the best possible learning environment for her. The staff truly appreciate the children's character traits and strengths while also being aware of areas that need extra attention. Staff have been nothing but respectful and responsive to any and all concerns. The new administration has brought great energy to the school and I continue to feel very thankful my child has this learning environment. Would highly recommend a site visit and meeting with the head of school if interested in learning more!

Montessori School of Duluth
313 Mygatt Ave, Duluth, MN  55803
Last modified Montessori School of Duluth is a Private school that serves grades PK-6