Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted May 05, 2016
As a charter school, the teachers are vested in creating an environment that helps students attain their highest potential. The teachers have seats on the board to ensure their voices are heard. A North Shore Community School teacher has been recognized nationally for her innovative efforts in environmental education.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 05, 2016
Standards for students and staff are high and are consistent with the Mission and Core Values of the school. It takes a village to raise children and North Shore Community School is truly a village of dedicated staff working with students to help them achieve their potential.

Posted May 05, 2016
North Shore Community School is a great school with dedicated teachers and an administration committed to providing a quality education for students. We chose to send our children to North Shore and are glad we made the choice. Advice to other parents: make your choice on where to send your kids to school by visiting the school and talking with the teachers and staff.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted November 15, 2015
The teachers at this charter school are great teachers but need to step up and hold the administration more accountable. The charter school movement is based on successful participation of teachers in the administration of the school.

North Shore Community School 2

Posted November 15, 2015
There seems to be continuing leadership problems at the school as well as continuing budgetary issues. The former administrator mentioned below as being unresponsive resigned and the new administrator will at least answer e-mails, but there are still big problems. They got in trouble with the state last year for operating a non-licensed preschool. It highlights environmental education as one of its big draws, but the environmental educator is not a licensed teacher. The full-time library staff position was cut last year as was its gifted and talented/school enrichment position. Others mentioned before that the health aide position was cut awhile back and has not been restored. The school is many miles out in the country and it would take an ambulance some time to get there. Many of the teachers there are dedicated and talented, but there seem to be some real challenges in leadership and being able to continue funding the school. Carefully consider options before choosing this school. We wish we had.

Posted October 16, 2014
We are extremely confident that we are making the best choice in education by sending our child to North Shore Community School. The staff and administration at NSCS are outstanding: they are all caring, highly competent, and committed to providing a safe and rich learning environment. . We have found the administration to be very approachable and attentive. The staff go above and beyond on a daily basis. We are very happy with the responsiveness of the school to our child's individual needs. We are grateful for every opportunity that NSCS provides for our student. We know he is well cared for and getting a stellar education. The best part: our student is excited to go to school every day!

Posted October 16, 2014
I think it is a privilege to be able to send my daughter to an excellent school like North Shore Community School, which is a charter school for free. I drive 25 miles one way every day to make sure my daughter goes there-which is a commitment in itself. My daughter is the youngest of our children, ranging from 27 to 11. Our older ones went to various schools in the Twin Cities, both private and public. The cost of private school was just as much as college tuition, and not necessarily as good. I never felt that I could share my concerns with those schools and have my voice heard. With North Shore Community School I feel that they are willing to hear me and adjust if they feel my concerns are valid. That in itself is a contribution to the education of our children. If the parents and teachers can work together it is ultimately for the benefit of the children and community as a whole. I feel that I have found that at North Shore Community School.

Posted October 16, 2014
I m saddened to hear about the misgivings of some of the earlier posts. I have been able to share my concerns through email, which works the best for me, and I have always gotten a response back within a reasonable amount of time. If there are parental concerns I would suggest to go through the PTA to be able to communicate more efficiently until the matter is resolved? They might be able to problem-solve some issues too. I think every school has some issues that not everyone is happy with. It s finding a way to be heard and finding a balance for everyone that is a challenge- which I think the administration is continually working to improve that immense job. As far as not having a full-time nurse on staff, I think it s ok overall. I was glad to hear that all of the staff had gotten training on allergic reactions and epi-pens. Schools need to adjust as kids have different needs, which they seems to be doing. I don t think a full-time nurse would be of great benefit, but that is just my opinion. So, to wrap up this long review, I think North Shore Community School is the best school in the Northland.

North Shore Community School 1

Posted September 24, 2014
This school used to be a great school until a couple years ago! The teachers and administration are not impressive! They have cut funding and last year was the last straw, they cut the school nurse! The nurse they had was wonderful to the students and staff. Yet they cut her because they couldn't afford her. Its funny how they keep adding on the school, but they can't afford a school nurse!!! (Plus you know that the school nurse was not paid well.) So now the secretary is in charge of the nurses office, THAT IS WRONG!! The secretary already has enough on her plate but now she's in charge of the nurses office now too. What happens if there's a hurt child on the playground and they need a nurse there asap, what happens to the office during this time?? This is just ONE of my complaints about this school!!

North Shore Community School 2

Posted September 17, 2014
My wife and I also once were proud to send our children to the school. We had no misgivings with the first two who attended the school but that was 3 years ago. We still stand behind the teaching staff but our concerns are with the schools administration. We had every intention of having our youngest continue at the school through 6th grade but before the start of this year, we had a change of heart and enrolled him in another school. We expressed our concerns to the director, via voice mails and emails, why we were making a switch but to this day have never received a return call. We have spoken to other parents of our doubts about the school and several agree with us....the teachers are some of the best around but the lack of support from administration have us doubting if the number 1 priority of the administration is the welfare and education of our children.

5926 Ryan Rd, Duluth, MN  55804
Last modified North Shore Community School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.