Public charter
Duluth, MN

Posted October 16, 2014
We are extremely confident that we are making the best choice in education by sending our child to North Shore Community School. The staff and administration at NSCS are outstanding: they are all caring, highly competent, and committed to providing a safe and rich learning environment. . We have found the administration to be very approachable and attentive. The staff go above and beyond on a daily basis. We are very happy with the responsiveness of the school to our child's individual needs. We are grateful for every opportunity that NSCS provides for our student. We know he is well cared for and getting a stellar education. The best part: our student is excited to go to school every day!

Posted October 16, 2014
I think it is a privilege to be able to send my daughter to an excellent school like North Shore Community School, which is a charter school for free. I drive 25 miles one way every day to make sure my daughter goes there-which is a commitment in itself. My daughter is the youngest of our children, ranging from 27 to 11. Our older ones went to various schools in the Twin Cities, both private and public. The cost of private school was just as much as college tuition, and not necessarily as good. I never felt that I could share my concerns with those schools and have my voice heard. With North Shore Community School I feel that they are willing to hear me and adjust if they feel my concerns are valid. That in itself is a contribution to the education of our children. If the parents and teachers can work together it is ultimately for the benefit of the children and community as a whole. I feel that I have found that at North Shore Community School.

Posted October 16, 2014
I m saddened to hear about the misgivings of some of the earlier posts. I have been able to share my concerns through email, which works the best for me, and I have always gotten a response back within a reasonable amount of time. If there are parental concerns I would suggest to go through the PTA to be able to communicate more efficiently until the matter is resolved? They might be able to problem-solve some issues too. I think every school has some issues that not everyone is happy with. It s finding a way to be heard and finding a balance for everyone that is a challenge- which I think the administration is continually working to improve that immense job. As far as not having a full-time nurse on staff, I think it s ok overall. I was glad to hear that all of the staff had gotten training on allergic reactions and epi-pens. Schools need to adjust as kids have different needs, which they seems to be doing. I don t think a full-time nurse would be of great benefit, but that is just my opinion. So, to wrap up this long review, I think North Shore Community School is the best school in the Northland.

Posted October 01, 2014
North Shore Community School is a great school with dedicated teachers and an administration committed to providing a quality education for students. We chose to send our children to North Shore and are glad we made the choice. Advice to other parents: make your choice on where to send your kids to school by visiting the school and talking with the teachers and staff.

Posted September 24, 2014
This school used to be a great school until a couple years ago! The teachers and administration are not impressive! They have cut funding and last year was the last straw, they cut the school nurse! The nurse they had was wonderful to the students and staff. Yet they cut her because they couldn't afford her. Its funny how they keep adding on the school, but they can't afford a school nurse!!! (Plus you know that the school nurse was not paid well.) So now the secretary is in charge of the nurses office, THAT IS WRONG!! The secretary already has enough on her plate but now she's in charge of the nurses office now too. What happens if there's a hurt child on the playground and they need a nurse there asap, what happens to the office during this time?? This is just ONE of my complaints about this school!!

North Shore Community School 2

Posted September 17, 2014
My wife and I also once were proud to send our children to the school. We had no misgivings with the first two who attended the school but that was 3 years ago. We still stand behind the teaching staff but our concerns are with the schools administration. We had every intention of having our youngest continue at the school through 6th grade but before the start of this year, we had a change of heart and enrolled him in another school. We expressed our concerns to the director, via voice mails and emails, why we were making a switch but to this day have never received a return call. We have spoken to other parents of our doubts about the school and several agree with us....the teachers are some of the best around but the lack of support from administration have us doubting if the number 1 priority of the administration is the welfare and education of our children.

Posted September 04, 2014
I used to be a huge cheerleader of this school. We loved it for 3 years. As long as you do not expect the administrators to return phone calls or e-mails about serious issues, then it might be OK. The board seems to have little direct control over the job performance of the 2 administrators. The teachers are dedicated and seem to run the school fine with little leadership. The curriculum is pretty good, too. However, there have been some serious leadership issues in the past 2-3 years and they make one seriously question the future of the school and whether or not the needs of all kids are considered when making important policy decisions. The school actively contracts out work that directly impacts student success and the resulting turnover and lack of quality in these areas is a concern. There is no school nurse or dedicated health aide.

Posted June 18, 2014
I can tell by reading the reviews, that this would not be a school of choice for my children. Seriously! Learn how to spell! Also have friends with children there - they have many regrets.

Posted August 29, 2013
Use this school as a last resort. If you want your children to regress, than send them to this school. The two stars is for the arts and crafts program. They at least do this well.

Posted November 30, 2010
My oldest son went to North Shore and my youngest son is a 3rd grader there. The staff is highly qualified, motivated, adaptive and creative. In being a charter school, they are not handcuffed by a large administration so decisions can be made quickly. Being on 40 acres, the staff and kids have an excellent outdoor lab. They are very good at securing funding for all kinds of projects (greenhouse, cross country skis, snowshoes, hockey rink and warming shack, playground equipment, 3 new classrooms and computer room, etc.). Most of the staff are long term, although they do not get tenured, which in my opinion, allows the administration/school board to act quickly if a staff member is not doing their job (this has not been much of an issue since any openings that become available are very much in demand, due to the school's reputation).

North Shore Community School
5926 Ryan Rd, Duluth, MN  55804
Last modified North Shore Community School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Shore Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top