Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I moved to Excelsior, just months prior to my daughter entering kindergarten, because of the excellent public education available through the Minnetonka District....it was the best decision I have EVER made. I'm ASTOUNDED by the fantastic teachers my Daughter gas had through Kindergarten and first grade at Excelsior. I voulenteer frequently and come from a family line of teachers and was in awe by my daughters Kindergarten teacher- she inspired me each day I was in her class and my daughters continued love of learning blossomed because of the wonder which is Excelsior Elementary. They offer amazing learning extensions catered to the talents and skills each child diaplays-ART, READING, MATH and a pgenomial program WINGS which my daughter attends in addition to her regular classes, this offered her additional academic education with homework-thought I provoking, 'learning extensions' to meet her very active desire and love of learning. Her first grade teacher was equally as talented and I'm greatful for his superior teaching skills, wonderful ability to truly connect and identify with each student, fostering a fun, natural love of learning in the classroom..and a keen sense of humor. Excelsior is tremendous. I could elaborate on the awesome Explorers club, after school care, FANTASTIC prinicipal, wonderful paraprofessionals ideally the environment is truly dynamic, I feel the 'greatness' in everyone I encounterworking at the school and continue to meet remarkable parents and kiddos each year... my daughter enters 2nd grade fall 2015:)

I find this school substandard in so many ways. Huge, impersonal, academically lacking. After only a few months I realized that this school was not good enough for my kids and enrolled them in nearby catholic school where they are blossoming. I'm sure it was excellent at one point in time but now it feels like a third world school, so depressing, with huge class sizes and lackluster teachers.

As a new kindergarten family at Excelsior Elementary we were nervous. Sending our oldest off to a new school not mention into a Chinese immersion program was overwhelming. The school has had many opportunities for us to familiarize ourselves and be comfortable with the atmosphere as well as the staff. The immersion program has exceeded all our hopes and the teachers have been fabulous. My favorite though has been how involved the principle has been. Taking the time to introduce herself and acknowledge students at every opportunity. The best part about her is that she brings her dog in for students to read to!

Excelsior Elementary is the tops! It is not just a school, the whole staff are a wonderful community of caring adults that make learning fun. From our first school visit, my husband and I turned to each other and said, " I wish I had gone to elementary here."

While entering the parking lot you notice there is something different about this elementary school. The emotion is palpable. Kindness, devotion laughter and happiness...numerous adults greeting children, guiding traffic, and acting as a safety patrol for walkers - day in and day out. Principal Lee Drolet, runs her school like one of the best run businesses in the world. A fair but firm CEO. She knows all 600 +/- students by name, speaks to them often, and hand delivers birthday cards to them. Class size seldom exceeds 20 children; all classrooms are equipped with smart boards, microphones and computers. Music, art and PE are mandatory. This public school offers all students the option to learn to speak and write Mandarin in the Chinese Immersion Program. There is also classrooms for gifted children and adequate staff for children with special needs. The playground is safe, clean and has updated equipment, running track and a music area. The number of parents that volunteer is remarkable. There are numerous activities that create a special elementary school experience: VIP day, boat excursions, movie night, class parties, field trips and walks and parades down main street.

The best School you can Ever imagine. Great teachers, great programs, great support for the kids. It is just amazing!!! My daughter is in Chinese immersion and is incredible. They pay attention to every small details in my kids. It's an awesome school.

If I could give this school a zero I would. They are great at sweeping things under the rug. I had an issue with a teacher who I find to be highly unprofessional. I don't understand how someone can become a teacher only to disrespect and mistreat a child. I wonder if other parents have had issues with the same teacher. The principal did address the teacher on the matter but it appeared to be no consequence for the action.

I can't believe how unprofessional people can be when their job is to work with people. I had an issue with a teacher and had to notify the principal on the matter. While the principal did claim to take action it appeared to be no consequence for the teacher actions.There was no justified reason for the level of disrespect on the teachers behalf. There was no apology to me or my child for the belittlement and embarassment that was caused. Hopefully some type of training can be implemented to improve the level of professionalism needed to properly work with children.

My son has a terrific kindergarten teacher at Excelsior Elementary. She personally escorts all of her students to the bus after school. She is a really fun teacher that has been a positive role model for my son. There are also two wonderful helpers in the morning who unload kindergarteners from parent vehicles and make sure they get into school okay. These two ladies always put my son at ease with their personal comments to him about his hat, haircut, clothes or backpack. It makes my little guy feel so special and puts a smile on his face. Pretty hard to do at 8 am. The principal helped my son find his class during the first week of school. He felt pretty special walking hand-in-hand with her.

Excelsior Elementary is the Best!! The teachers work very hard to provide a variety of great learning experiences for ALL learners. The principal is a strong leader and supportive of the teachers.

Last modified Excelsior Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.