Excelsior, MN

Posted August 16, 2014
I find this school substandard in so many ways. Huge, impersonal, academically lacking. After only a few months I realized that this school was not good enough for my kids and enrolled them in nearby catholic school where they are blossoming. I'm sure it was excellent at one point in time but now it feels like a third world school, so depressing, with huge class sizes and lackluster teachers.

Posted September 24, 2013
As a new kindergarten family at Excelsior Elementary we were nervous. Sending our oldest off to a new school not mention into a Chinese immersion program was overwhelming. The school has had many opportunities for us to familiarize ourselves and be comfortable with the atmosphere as well as the staff. The immersion program has exceeded all our hopes and the teachers have been fabulous. My favorite though has been how involved the principle has been. Taking the time to introduce herself and acknowledge students at every opportunity. The best part about her is that she brings her dog in for students to read to!

Posted September 23, 2013
Excelsior Elementary is the tops! It is not just a school, the whole staff are a wonderful community of caring adults that make learning fun. From our first school visit, my husband and I turned to each other and said, " I wish I had gone to elementary here."

Posted September 23, 2013
While entering the parking lot you notice there is something different about this elementary school. The emotion is palpable. Kindness, devotion laughter and happiness...numerous adults greeting children, guiding traffic, and acting as a safety patrol for walkers - day in and day out. Principal Lee Drolet, runs her school like one of the best run businesses in the world. A fair but firm CEO. She knows all 600 +/- students by name, speaks to them often, and hand delivers birthday cards to them. Class size seldom exceeds 20 children; all classrooms are equipped with smart boards, microphones and computers. Music, art and PE are mandatory. This public school offers all students the option to learn to speak and write Mandarin in the Chinese Immersion Program. There is also classrooms for gifted children and adequate staff for children with special needs. The playground is safe, clean and has updated equipment, running track and a music area. The number of parents that volunteer is remarkable. There are numerous activities that create a special elementary school experience: VIP day, boat excursions, movie night, class parties, field trips and walks and parades down main street.

Excelsior Elementary School 4

Posted June 11, 2013
The best School you can Ever imagine. Great teachers, great programs, great support for the kids. It is just amazing!!! My daughter is in Chinese immersion and is incredible. They pay attention to every small details in my kids. It's an awesome school.

Posted March 21, 2013
If I could give this school a zero I would. They are great at sweeping things under the rug. I had an issue with a teacher who I find to be highly unprofessional. I don't understand how someone can become a teacher only to disrespect and mistreat a child. I wonder if other parents have had issues with the same teacher. The principal did address the teacher on the matter but it appeared to be no consequence for the action.

Posted March 21, 2013
I can't believe how unprofessional people can be when their job is to work with people. I had an issue with a teacher and had to notify the principal on the matter. While the principal did claim to take action it appeared to be no consequence for the teacher actions.There was no justified reason for the level of disrespect on the teachers behalf. There was no apology to me or my child for the belittlement and embarassment that was caused. Hopefully some type of training can be implemented to improve the level of professionalism needed to properly work with children.

Posted December 28, 2012
My son has a terrific kindergarten teacher at Excelsior Elementary. She personally escorts all of her students to the bus after school. She is a really fun teacher that has been a positive role model for my son. There are also two wonderful helpers in the morning who unload kindergarteners from parent vehicles and make sure they get into school okay. These two ladies always put my son at ease with their personal comments to him about his hat, haircut, clothes or backpack. It makes my little guy feel so special and puts a smile on his face. Pretty hard to do at 8 am. The principal helped my son find his class during the first week of school. He felt pretty special walking hand-in-hand with her.

Posted December 14, 2012
Excelsior Elementary is the Best!! The teachers work very hard to provide a variety of great learning experiences for ALL learners. The principal is a strong leader and supportive of the teachers.

Posted December 03, 2012
Excelsior Elementary is a fabulous school! We live in another district, but open enroll to Excelsior because of the quality of education that our children receive. Excelsior is a wonderful blend of a school with top- notch strategies used by teachers and a variety of activities for all children, but also maintains the feeling of a small school with individualized attention. The principal is a very strong leader and the teachers are amazing. This staff truly cares about my children, challenging them to learn and grow as people. We are thrilled with Excelsior!

Excelsior Elementary School
441 Oak St, Excelsior, MN  55331
Last modified Excelsior Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Excelsior Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top