Minnetonka West Middle School 1

Posted September 04, 2014
The reviews for this school are quite old. Minnetonka West Middle (MMW) is a massive, factory like school with over 1000 kids in grades 6-9. The hallways are crowded, the lunch room is a chaotic scene, the parking lot is jammed, and there is a definite culture of bullying and exclusion among the students. Teachers are trying to keep up with increasing demands of more students each year. Morale seems to be low. It's a bit of a train wreck. The District continually "markets and sells" the successes of the top students in this school (and the district) to the point that my child spent a whole year feeling worthless, stupid, and not able "to keep up" and "not good enough". We transferred to a local private school where my child has thrived, gained confidence, excelled academically (did 10 times the writing any of my other children have ever done in the public school), and couldn't be happier. All these students (and Minnetonka Middle East of the same size) will funnel to the High School. Rumor has it freshman classes will be over 1000 kids in the next few years. Bigger is not always better. Look around.

Minnetonka West Middle School 4

Posted April 26, 2011
Next year our child will be attending MMW. We have already had the chance to meet with the Coordinators of Special Services to allow a smooth transition from the Elementary School to Middle School and were interested in listening and responding to our concerns. And if that is any indication of the future for our chlid at MMW then the commenter from 2008 that only kinds w/o special needs is a spiteful writer or was just in a difficult mood then. The elementary school has done almost everything possible to give our child the fair chance deserving for any child with Special needs even with an Above avg IQ and still has Learning Challenges. Many schools used to ignore such kids as quirky and leave them alone. Instead they went head on and helped us understand our child's needs and have helped to fill in the gaps. And it appears the MMW will continue to offer the support, as it is needed and indicated. And the Principal went out of his way to meet with kids of special needs to try to welcome them, too.

Minnetonka West Middle School 1

Posted June 16, 2008
My children have not like MMW at all. The teachers are only responsive to children w/o difficulties. The principal is difficult to get ahold of and slow to return parent's calls. He is not willing to view other views except his own. (Along with the superintendent)

Posted May 26, 2006
Minnetonka Schools have given my children experiences that I could never have imagined for them. It is filled with ways to get involved, outstanding academics, and enthusiastic teachers. I highly recommend this school.

Posted March 14, 2006
Extcellent school-- terfific in all areas. Academics, extracurriculars, teachers, leadership, parents, the student body are all great!

Posted June 24, 2005
Minnetonka Middle School West has better quality of basically everything than Minnetonka Middle School East. There is more availability of music, art, sports, and other extracurricular acticity. The level of parent involvement is unbelievable. My daughters love that school! They can't imagine life without the magnificent staff, principle, and counselors. They love the involvement that the students and teachers share with one another. God Bless Minnetonka Middle School West. I hope it is around until my grandchildren are born.

Posted June 20, 2005
Minnetonka West really gives my child excellent oppertunities for higher levels of learning. It is a great school and very close to home. The staff is very helpful and nice. This school is absolutely wonderful!

Posted August 26, 2003
My daughter is in grade 7 at MMW and loves it. The staff is organized and goes out of their way to answer questions and meet the needs of the children. The same counselor tracks the entering student class for their three years and this is beneficial. There is a variety of extra curricular options. I highly recommend this school!

Minnetonka West Middle School
6421 Hazeltine Blvd, Excelsior, MN  55331
Last modified Minnetonka West Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Minnetonka West Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top