Houston, MN
Students enrolled: 2,105

Posted August 08, 2014
I would give it negative 5 stars if I could. This was one of the biggest mistakes we made for my child. Only one teacher ever responded to concerns. And the principal was not very receptive to any of my concerns. The technology didn't work. waste of time and energy.

Posted July 08, 2014
The teachers really care about how my daughter is doing. They do whatever they can to encourage her and to help her when she gets stuck. One teacher even helped her with her time management problems (she was getting behind because of procrastination) and I was so grateful for that. It is a great alternative to the local public school--bullying and other disruptive behaviors caused us to switch schools.

Posted November 15, 2012
Great option for children with parents who want to be intimately involved in their child's education. You will get to know your child on a new level and will learn many things yourself! It is a great choice for many families.

Posted October 19, 2012
A wonderful option for kids who failed to excel in traditional schools or for parents who want to be more involved in their child's education. Kids are allowed to go at their own pace and are backed up every step of the way with licensed teachers. My child is on par with her peers in brick and mortar schools in most subject and flying far ahead in others. The time investment is far less than that of a traditional school because it's much more efficient to teach a child one on one than teach to a whole class and you ensure that your child is absorbing it all without the pressure to keep moving along even if they are struggling to grasp a concept. My daughter has been in MNVA for 3 years and we are absolutely loving it. I read the one negative review here and it just sounds like they have a chip on their shoulder. They ARE a public school and they don't make any claim to be anything other than that, but you are still schooling your child at home with the guidance of an excellent curriculum that is far more interactive and hands on than in traditional schools. All lessons are presented in a way so all types of learners can benefit equally.

Posted May 20, 2012
This school was not satisfied with a D+ for English like my local school was. They would not let my son advance to the next assignment until he got it! What a great school! Teachers connect with my 2 boys daily. Teachers have called many times on their days off with reminders... encouragements, etc! I am puzzled why a person would give this school a "barely one" star. We have been going online to MNVA for 3 years now. A WONDERFUL SCHOOL. Comment from my 12th grader who finished up school in January: " I never would have graduated it if weren't for MNVA !" SPECIAL THANKS to teacher, Tracy Lermon for her dedication to my son's education! ... as well as MANY others!

Posted November 14, 2011
Is it possible to give ZERO stars? The "school" insists on calling the parent who does all the teaching of the material a "learning coach", while a person who interacts with the child directly perhaps once a month is called a "teacher" and is responsible for assessing student work when they have not even seen the child working day to day. The curriculum is sub-par: repetitive worksheets, a very few mediocre online "activities", such as hopping a frog down a number line, and a dumbed-down "script" for parents to follow when presenting the material. The "school" is not receptive to parent input (in fact, the "teacher" seemed quite resentful of it), and the whole model is front-loaded with as much, or more, bureaucracy as a regular public school. I enrolled because I thought that for a first-time homeschooler, the idea of free curriculum and computer and support was a good one. MNVA is not in place to support homeschoolers, it is in place to provide a "Public School AT Home" option. Don't do this if your reasons for homeschooling include any disklike or mistrust of public schools - because you ARE enrolling your child in PUBLIC SCHOOL, with all the bad that comes with it.

Minnesota Virtual Academy 4

Posted May 06, 2010
This is my first year with MNVA, but I have enjoyed the experience. We have a wonderful teacher - the same one for both our boys. She has been so helpful with everything. The work load is large for K and 1st grade, but I was prepared for that going into the school year. If you want to do well in MNVA you need to try and keep to the 4-5 hour-a-day work load. This is part of the agreement you sign when you start. If your family isn't able to work with that then maybe MNVA isn't for you. But do consider that the curriculum is high quality and their phonics program is wonderful! I think the hard work is worth it.

Minnesota Virtual Academy
306 West Elm St, Houston, MN  55943
Last modified Minnesota Virtual Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Minnesota Virtual Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top