Public charter
Maple Grove, MN

Posted December 14, 2014
Beacon Academy in Maple Grove, Minnesota is amazing. I researched 8 schools in the area (private, public, magnet and other charter schools). I interviewed teachers/parents/students and toured all the schools. Beacon Academy was my favorite BY FAR. I loved the philosophy, class size, and parent involvement. Plus, it just "felt" right. However, b/c it was a lottery, I didn't feel our odds were good to get into the school. When my son's name was selected, I about fell on the floor with excitement. Over the summer, before kindergarten began, I heard there was a lot of staff turnover. I was nervous. Why were there so many teachers leaving? I talked to the principal and he explained to me that the new teachers were already familiar with the Beacon philosophy and explained why some teachers left Beacon (ie., higher salary at public schools and some teachers had new babies). My son has some minor special needs (developmental delay) so his special education team was important. It is now December, and I cannot tell you how AMAZING the school is. The collaboration b/t his classroom teacher, spED teacher, and other teachers/admin has blown me away. My son is thriving! We love Beacon!

Posted September 11, 2014
We transferred to Beacon Academy from another charter school in Maple Grove two years ago. The administration and office staff are wonderful. Our children are challenged academically, especially in math (all grades do one grade level above in Saxon math). The families that we have met are amazing - it's so nice to know that our kids have such great friends! This is just a super warm, caring, small school with high standards for academics and character. We couldn't be more happy to be a part of it.

Posted August 09, 2014
I am a student going into 7th grade this school year on Sep. 2nd. Beacon Academy is a great, fun school. They know how to deal with bullying when I got cyber bullied on Instagram when I was in 6th grade, they dealt with it and I was feeling better in no time. Being a sister of a sibling who graduated from Beacon Academy all I can say about this school is amazing they give a well balanced amount of homework each night and let you work on it for whole class period 4 days a week. The teachers are fun nice and educate you well. You will for sure make friends on your first day at Beacon Academy. I love Beacon Academy, I have so much fun there and so does my classmates, I hope you do too.

Posted April 07, 2014
Beacon Academy is a great school for all students. There is a good SE department, and the teachers are all very helpful and caring. This school has high academic standards and achievements. The social situation is very welcoming to everyone.

Beacon Academy Charter School 1

Posted October 19, 2013
I pulled my chlld out of this school because of severe bullying. They gave no consequences tothe bully. School does not howhow to dealwiththis topic. Also,not much help academically..beware....

Posted October 09, 2013
Beacon charter school is a great place for a child to learn facts and how to be a helpful community member. Our kids started attending Beacon in Fall of 2012. My kids have enjoyed full day kindergarten at no extra cost to us. Beacon Academy has chose to give all Kindergarten students a full day to give them a good start their first year. The best part of Beacon is the parent involvement that all parents commit to. The parent involvement and volunteering helps the teachers and administration to include the parents in the important job of raising a child mentally and socially.

Posted October 09, 2013
We won the lottery when we got in to Beacon Academy. We've been so pleased with the teachers, staff., Great communication from the office, the principals, the teaching staff. I'd recommend this school whole heartedly.

Beacon Academy Charter School 2

Posted July 20, 2013
I go to this school and i'm going to 8th grade next year and all I have to say is: It is terrible for socially awkward kids. Let me explain, all the teachers are very direct and blunt when telling me something bad and they are ALL very insensitive to me, especially the old SS teacher and the OS teacher are absolutely the most insensitive teachers I have ever know. If your child has a social disorder do not send them to this school they WILL feel alone, and they WILL feel very awkward there.

Beacon Academy Charter School 4

Posted January 29, 2013
Overall, this is a very nice school with a welcoming community feel. Class sizes are not too big. The administration, office staff, nurse, and lunch staff are all great. The teachers tend to be younger and less experienced, but they all seem to genuinely care about kids. Most families live in Maple Grove or Plymouth, so out-of-school activities (family get-togethers, Barnes & Noble night, etc.) tend to be held in those towns. The school is trying to add a 9th grade, and possibly expand to a full high school. Some cons: There is not a lot of differentiation for elementary students. They say math is accelerated by a full grade level for the younger grades, but it only seems to be partially so. As with any public school, there is a strong focus on testing. There is no technology in the classrooms (i.e., no smartboards, iPads, or laptops), but kids go to technology class once a week, which partly serves as a weekly testing time. The volunteer commitment requested of families is helpful to the school but hard for parents who work full-time to fulfill.

Beacon Academy Charter School 4

Posted September 18, 2008
Although the school is in it's 5th year, it is still working out some kinks, like a permanent location. I like the community feel of Beacon, and the parent involvement. I like that the teachers have a plan, but can veer off if the students have a particular interest in the topic they are covering. So far, my child has really been enjoying all of it, the maps, science, music, spanish. In her 2nd year, they're covering more math, Phy Ed and art as well, and I believe they'll get deeper into Character Education this year.

Beacon Academy Charter School
9060 Zanzibar Lane North, Maple Grove, MN  55311
Last modified Beacon Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Beacon Academy Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top