Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Disagree

Almost no reading and math exercise. Many homework assignments are variations on "look around your house for examples of X and Y"

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Two times when we shared concerns with the principal, there was a strange eagerness to excuse and dismiss problems.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

We met some great teachers at somerset, and we met some ineffective teachers.

Our experience at Somerset left us sad. The school has some good teachers, but not many. Overall, the academic standards were noticeably lower each year. The principal was primarily focused on fundraising and social events.

Somerset is absolutely a stand out in a state with already wonderful schools. Principal Hagebock is lovely and professional, and puts her students above all else. The programs are amazing and the teachers are at the top of their profession. LOVE Somerset!!!

As a parent of three children that have all attended Somerset, I have personally experienced the three principals that the other reviewers have talked about. Yes, Mary Bowman was great, however, she retired. A replacement principal was chosen and I agree, she did not work out. However, she had big shoes to fill with the amount of very demanding parents at this school that all want the best for their children. The district made a decision to move Joni Hagebock from Friendly Hills (our older daughters' school) to Somerset. Joni is the only principal to this day to to stand outside EVERY morning directing children at the cross walk. She figured out a way to make the parking lot MUCH safer. She has always responded to my emails and when she was principal at FH, she sat down with me personally when I had questions. Somerset is still a wonderful school and we are very happy. Our daughter has learned so much and she is very happy as well. Still the best school in the area!

Our experience at the school was extremely negative, especially with the school principal. We regret trusting the school's old good reputation without talking to more parents. There are a few good teachers at Somerset, but we found the principal to be unreliable, unprofessional, and unresponsive to parents' concerns. When we talked to other parents, we learned that this is the principal's usual pattern of behavior. In addition, the third grade teacher we had this year rarely communicated with parents and had low standards for teaching language and math. We feel that they both don't care much about kids as human beings, which is utterly unacceptable! We chose to leave the school.

I agree with the 2 star rating the parent on 5/15/15 gave. The teaching staff at Somerset is absolutely amazing. I cannot praise them enough. Our kids have had great teachers every single year. In addition, the art, music, Spanish, gym and other teachers are also fantastic. The reason for this 2 star rating is similar to the previous parent's review I noted above. The principal is dishonest and not in touch with parents. She indeed does not return phone calls or emails. The students do not like her, and having met and interacted with her, I can understand their feelings. This principal is arrogant, unkind, unapproachable, and childish. This is incredibly unfortunate, because the teachers at this school are absolutely fantastic. Three years ago, I would've and did recommend this school to the parents of prospective students. However, I would recommend that parents of prospective students visit Garlough Environmental Magnet School, Moreland Arts and Health Sciences Magnet School, and Mendota Elementary School in addition to Somerset. This school has greatly declined in the last 2 years. It was a top school and I considered myself very lucky to enroll my kids at Somerset. If you can overlook the principal's ineptitude in favor of the amazing teaching staff, you should consider Somerset Elementary School.

Amazing teachers! Out of all of district 197 elementary schools we visited, Somerset stands out! It is harder to get into, if you are not already in the zone, but it is definitely worth looking into. The school has a very quaint feel, the students are cheerful, teachers are friendly, and we've been loving the Spanish and reading program quality.

Develops character: Agree

They try to come up with ways to engage the children with the larger world.

Last modified Somerset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.