Minneapolis, MN

Posted April 13, 2015
I have two children at Burroughs and I could not be more thrilled. One of my children had been struggling academically at another school and once they got to Burroughs they flourished. The teachers are fantastic! They look for the strengths each child has and then use those to build on areas where they may struggle. They are also teaching to give back with community service projects. The teachers and administration are very effective with dealing with behaviors and guiding the children to make good choices. In past experiences I had found that some other schools in the district have so much behavior that the teaching can lose focus and struggling children end up getting all the attention. This is not the case at Burroughs. They have high expectations for their students both socially and academically, and the students live up to those expectations. A top-notch school all around!

Posted April 09, 2015
Excellent school. I have 2 daughters that attended. My oldest in in college now and the discipline she started to develop at Burroughs has made her college transition a breeze. Tim Cadotte, the Principal, has established a clear vision and this school sets high standards. It is not a school for children (or parents) that do not believe in, or are unable to, put time into projects that need to accomplished outside of school. Luckily, there are several great schools in the area that provide that type of environment.

Posted November 19, 2014
My experience at Burroughs was horrific. I was bullied to an extreme but the school couldn't care less. In fact some teachers even made it worse by enabling the students. The administration was the worst part I was threatened on more then one occasion that I they would make it so I wouldn't be able to go to school anywhere. The teaching methods are just flawed they focus on test scores. They don't nurture the students intelligence in fact they suppress it. Don't send your children here and don't listen to other reviews they are just controlling parents. Which are another big drawback of the school.

Posted October 22, 2014
Who gives a low rating for a school that is too "academic based". I dont send my child to school to play or to be babied. I play with and baby my son at home. I crave a school that challenges my child academically, teaches my child to walk silently though the halls, to line up his wet boots in the hallway. Who doesnt want their child to be taught that they are held to a high standard. If this is what Burroughs is then I am glad that this is my first choice school for my son next year.

Burroughs Elementary School 2

Posted September 28, 2014
Burroughs Elementary is a great school for upper middle class kids who have parents who want to push them beyond what's necessary or helpful in early elementary school. Long worksheets and pages and pages of homework most every night seem a bit ridiculous in early grades. Young kids actually learn quite a bit just by playing and interacting with other kids. There is very little time for even a break during the day at Burroughs. The rigidity suits the administration and similarly inclined parents there, but if you want your child to have a learning experience that is more balanced, wholistic, thinking-based instead of rigid rote learning-based experience, then Burroughs is NOT for you.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 06, 2014
great school for upper middle class white kids with a stay-at-home parent who can volunteer every week. Way too rigid and NO focus on the individual child. they are strict about teaching kids how to test well. it has made my child really stressed and frustrated. i am so disappointed. I feel bad for the teachers because I think many of them are great, but can't step outside the "program" and help each child learn to their own abilities. and the parents.... YIKES! So much pressure and over-indulging. Let the teachers do their jobs and shut up already. The school has more money than 2 other schools in MPLS combined. Enough with the fundraising! Jeez.

Posted August 23, 2013
We have 1st and 3rd Grade boys at Burroughs and couldn't be happier. The teachers are committed and sincerely care about the children. The parent community is amazing and very invested in the success of the school. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted July 13, 2013
I am extremely dissatisfied with this school. The staff was completely unresponsive and not well-versed at working with children as unique individuals. Conformity is good to a degree, but not when it belittles, betrays trust, and creates defiance and hostility. I felt this school was not equipped to reach my child, and that this past school year was a waste of time for everyone involved. We will not be returning in the fall, and I would not recommend this school if you are searching for a place that nurtures, respects, and fosters growth in learning.

Posted November 20, 2011
Burroughs has been a wonderful school for our twin boys for the past five years. Tim Cadotte, the principal, provides top-notch leadership and really cares about educating the kids. The teachers are outstanding.

Posted November 19, 2010
My child is in 1st grade and I have to say I am really impressed. There is a traditional academic base, but with a lot of emphasis on creativity. There is a willingness to work with parents, in fact parents are expected to get involved. This is a very fun and open school, and what a gorgeous building! The only downside is that classes are very large in the lower grades, but my child's teacher has no problems with it. After a few years of the recent changes that may change. My child loves going to school!

Burroughs Elementary School
1601 West 50th St, Minneapolis, MN  55419
Last modified Burroughs Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Burroughs Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top