Patrick Henry High School

Public | 9-12 | 1140 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 23, 2012

I also needed to add that I don't know where this adults look the other way while students do drugs thing came from??? I did not in the four years I attended or the four years that both of my little sisters attended Henry see this type of behavior. Now if a parent witnessed an isolated incident, then it should be treated as such and not the entire vision of the school. The kids at Henry are not druggies nor do the staff allow or condon this type of behavior. Everyone has their own style of dress so what is considered inappropriate to one could be perfectly fine for someone else. That is why I love Henry, teens are allowed to be themselves. And this is high school in the 21st century all kids in all high schools across the state and the country have teens that engage in PDA. Again the parents have to parent at home and stop putting all of the responsibility on the teachers and staff at the school because they are there to teach and provide academic guidance and not to babysit, teach etiquette or have the bird's and the bee's talk with students. Again Patrick Henry is a great school!!! Just ask the students and staff Go Pats!!!

Posted November 18, 2011

I am a student at Patrick Henry, and I am appalled at all of the bashing of our school that is being allowed on this site. You say we have no school spirit? We do the best we can, but it's hard when we are verbally attacked when any one of us says to someone, "I go to Patrick Henry". You say our teachers are bad? Well I have plenty to say about our wonderful, encouraging, helpful teachers, but if you disagree, then remember that it isn't even our school that decides what teachers we get, it's the school board. You say we are druggies? Learn to love a little. I am no druggie, and neither are those I know that go to our school. Well, we love our school, and we are tired of all of the bashing that we get. We are the only IB school on the Northside, and we open the door to millions of opportunities that normally none of us would have access to. Ask any one of us. Our school has done something right, and no amount of prejudice can take that away from us.

Posted November 3, 2009

Henry is a good school that will teach you many things in many different areas of education. My school will also help prepare you for your future and advancing onto college, since my school is an IB school.

Posted May 28, 2009

Henry definitely has its shortcomings (like lack of support for numerous sports, struggling support for certain students), but these are largely due to a lack in funding. In addition, many of Henry's attributes makes up for its shortcomings. It has a great community, great teachers, great students, amazing school pride, and amazing student-teacher relationships! I graduated two years ago and I return each year for annual events!

Posted May 27, 2009

love all the teachers. math teachers who will actually help you understand while keeping up with the class. english teachers who will tell you the truth and not just say good try. graduated 4 years ago and i still visit my teachers.

Posted May 6, 2009

Excellent school- great students, teachers, and administration, amazing IB program- you won't find a better urban high school in the area.

Posted January 21, 2009

I'm a teacher at Henry and I am happy to say I work in a positive atmosphere with an amazing, dedicated, energetic and disciplined staff. The kids are terrific--and with programs like Admission Possible in our school, helping all kids achieve college and scholarships, it's no wonder 4 Gates Millennial Scholars graduated from Henry last year! This is a wonderful place to teach and to learn. Eva Lockhart, International Baccalaureate Program
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 8, 2008

I am a graduate of Henry (Class of 2008) and I cannot express the gratitude I have for having the opportunity to attend such an excellent school. Henry is defined by their teachers; their teachers are bar none the most driven and dedicated core of professionals in the district. At the end of the day the teachers absolutely care about their students academically, mentally, and emotionally. I highly suggest the Henry experience to anyone considering this school. The professionals and the diverse Henry environment has fostered growth in me, such growth that I will fully utilize as I attend college in the upcoming fall.

Posted August 26, 2005

I have been a student at Patrick Henry for all of the 4 yrs. I have been in the comprehensive program for all of the 4 yrs.It is a good experience,there are alot of good teachers.I have learned alot of stuff in these 4 yrs.I would definately recommend this school to 9th graders.We have school spirit & alot of people to get to know.

Posted April 6, 2005

I am a junior at henry in the IB program. I love this school very much! Last year I swicthed to Edison becuase of convenience, but switched back the very next day because Henry was simply extraordinarily better than it. I have been involved in many activities and parents do show their support. Right now I am writing this message from a classroom in SPAIN! Through Henry, I am having the time of my life! I will be very sad the day I graduate from Henry.

Posted February 19, 2005

Patrick Henry high school is the worst school in Minneapolis to send your child to. It has irritable teachers and no school spirit whatsoever and when I was a student there I was captain of the wrestling cheerleading squad and we had maybe two parents come every meet and no students. Also, at football games. Sometimes no one would show up at all. The best part of Henry is the IB program and even there most of the students think they're better than everybody. I graduated with the IB diploma and I was ashamed of my school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 24, 2004

I am a student at Patrick Henry High School,I am in the comprehensive program & that school is tight. We have alot of school spirit and we represent our school to the fullest.

Posted September 17, 2004

I have one child who has started Henry in the IB Program and graduated from Patrick Henry last year and another child who started at Henry as a freshman and is a junior this year in the IB Program. I really love this school. It provides excellent academic opportunities that are not available elsewhere. Sports and extracurricular opportunities are available here that are not available to students at any other schools. The school is well organized and well run. Teachers are more than willing to spend time after school and before school to meet with students. The principal recently won a national award, only 1 of 3 nationwide that year given out. It's a top shelf place to have your kids. Parent volunteerism is encouraged and appreciated.

Posted August 28, 2003

Patrick Henry High School is one of the first Minneapolis Schools to reverse the trend of treating parents as add ons. Patrick Henry administration values parents by including parents on all standing staff committees,including parents in the staff planning retreat, and increasing methods for meaningful interaction between teachers and parents. Parents are beginning to feel the power of being accepted and respected as an integral piece in educating students.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 88% in 2013.

308 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II Graduation-Required Assessments for Diploma (MCA-II/GRAD) to test students in grade 9 in writing and 11 in math. The MCA-II/GRAD is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. Students must pass the MCA-II/GRAD in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

232 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

English language learners64%
Proficient in English76%
Non-migrant73%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Minnesota Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data is not reported for that group.

All Students53%
English language learners33%
Proficient in English58%
Non-migrant53%

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2012.

232 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II (MCA-II) to test students in math in grade 11. The MCA-II is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2011.

234 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-III (MCA-III) to test in math in grades 3 through 8 in reading in grades 3 through 8 and 10 and in science for grades 5 and 8, and once in high school. The MCA-III is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students48%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 86%N/A37%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Japanese
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Spanish

• Latanya Daniels
Fax number
  • (612) 668-1993

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Chinese (Mandarin)
  • Japanese
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama

School culture

• Patrick henry high school: school, family, and community partnerships patrick henry high school uses education research regarding best practices in family involvement to support student achievement and family engagement. much of this research discusses the importance of school, family, and community partnerships. educational researcher, joyce epstein, defines these kinds of partnerships using six types of involvement. these types of involvement are: parenting: assist families with parenting and childrearing skills, understanding child and adolescent development, and setting home conditions that support children as students at each age and grade level. assist students in understanding families. communicating: communicate with families about school programs and student progress through effective school-to-home and home-to-school communications. volunteering: improve recruitment, training, and schedules to involve families as volunteers and audiences at the school or in other locations to support students and school programs. learning at home: involve families with their children in learning activities at home, including homework and other curriculum-related activities and decisions. decision making: include families as participants in school decisions, governance, and advocacy through pta/pto, school councils, committees, action teams, and other parent organizations. collaborating with the community: coordinate community resources and services for students, families, and the school with businesses, agencies and other groups providing services to the community. patrick henry high school includes all six types of involvement in its family involvement plan: parenting monthly principal parent meals-a wide range of issues relating to parenting and other educational topics are discussed with parents and relevant school staff. parents provide the topics for these discussions. staff development sessions- parents are invited to staff development sessions to share their insight and dialogue with our staff. these sessions also provide an opportunity for parents to learn about child development, learning, etc. communicating quarterly parent-teacher conferences-parents and teachers meet to discuss the academic progress of their students. other staff (e.g. the principal) are available to discuss any concerns with parents. translators and a personal translation system-translating staff and a personal translation system are available at school events for parent use. school website and email list-important information for parents (e.g. student accomplishments and upcoming events) is posted on the school’s website which is updated daily. also, a daily email list is sent to parents with similar information. advisory phone calling –advisory teachers call families twice yearly to welcome them and inform them of student progress toward graduation. volunteering volunteer training-a volunteer training is held at the beginning of the school year and individual trainings can be arranged for parents by appointment throughout the year. flexible volunteer opportunities-the school offers a range of volunteer opportunities that provide flexibility in regard to parents’ interests and schedules (e.g. ongoing opportunities and one time events). learning at home collaborative homework-individual teachers provide students with collaborative homework that encourages the involvement of family members with student work. parent newsletter-a quarterly parent newsletter is sent to families with articles on many topics including “learning at home” activities that parents can perform with students to increase academic achievement. decision making site council-parents can become members of the site council, a committee that influences the direction of the school (e.g. assisting with the development of the school improvement plan). patrick henry high school booster club-parents can support the school financially by becoming members of the booster club. the booster club raises funds for school programs and activities throughout the school year. committees-parents serve on various committees to support building work, including the lighthouse team focused on credit readiness, the senior events committee, and others. collaborating with the community community partner recognition event-the school holds an annual event that recognizes the contributions of community agencies and volunteers. community partnerships-over twenty local organizations partner with the school annually to provide services and support to students. current and new partnerships are supported and sought throughout the school year. internships-patrick henry students are placed in internships at local businesses and organizations, for which they earn credit. an internship coordinator and class help make sure our students meet the expectations of our partners. ph factor-the power of the patrick henry dollar in local small businesses within a mile of our patrick henry high school campus. many of the examples of involvement activities can represent more than one type of involvement. also, these are just a few examples of many involvement activities at the school. *definitions taken from school, family, and community partnerships by j. l. epstein et al., © 2002 corwin press, inc.