Bad
Good

Great school. Small classes and teachers are so helpful. Can't say enough good things about this school.

Do NOT send your child to this school. I sent my son to Roosevelt and he has learned almost nothing except what new rule to follow everyday! Principal's philosophy: treat school like church . Many of his teachers have mentioned the programs that the school offered in the past such as AP where students earn college credits in their areas of strength and student sponsored activities. Now, it's IB or nothing (although your child is forced to enroll in at least 1 IB class to boost the numbers - who cares about your kid's interests or grades) and adult run activities. The newer Principal (2nd year) screams at the kids and turns on teachers during 'observations' upsetting the students. Almost all of the really capable senior staff is gone so if you want your child to only have fresh out-of-college and ready to practice education on your child, not seasoned teachers, this is the school for you. In short, this is a great school for kids who love rules (a new one everyday) and who also know how to pull one over on a new teacher try Roosevelt. If you want your child to be creative, learn to think and enjoy school, please send them elsewhere! My child is smarter and happier for leaving!

My son is a freshman at Roosevelt and he loves it. The teachers are very caring. The leadership is fantastic, as are the support staff. There are so many wonderful opportunities for after-school involvement - athletics, clubs, debate, academic support The transition to a large, urban high school could be tough on a kid, but Roosevelt has welcomed my son every step of the way. I spent a lot of time researching high schools. I'm glad we chose Roosevelt.

Roosevelt High School is a hidden gem in South Minneapolis that is sadly overlooked by many families as a viable option for high school. We have one child who has experienced two fantastic years here and we did not hesitate to choose Roosevelt for our second child as well. To the contrary of what another reviewer has stated, the change in leadership, from my perspective, has been fantastic. There is structure and order in the building and most importantly, it feels safe. Expectations are clear and students know what they need to accomplish in order to succeed. As a parent, I feel I have an open line of communication to the teachers and the principal and receive responses more promptly than I had ever experienced with my elementary/middle schools. I would not be sending my children to this school if I felt they were receiving a sub-par eduction: most of the teachers are engaged and energetic. I feel that there is a concerted effort to build the sports teams which is an important aspect of the high school experience (Go Teddies!) We have been pleasantly surprised by our Roosevelt High School experience thus far, and believe it will only get better.

I am very disappointed at this school. After the tax cut our good programs for CPR and Mentor Health career opportunity went down hill. I am not happy. Their are some amazing teachers in Health and science but there needs to be more improvements on Math and English. These too major subject is what would help prepare us for College. I felt cheated having to go into maths IMP that did not help me prepare for college. English class was suppose to be all about improving in my writing, reading skills and expressing myself but no its more focus on stories and myth stories. All we did was watch movies, read myth stories and listen to myth stories. This is a big problem.

The principal will not talk to parents, some classes are way too large, some are tiny. The students have no rules enforced and academics suffer.

Extremely diverse student population and very supportive and loving parent community

I love that Roosevelt feels like a big family. I think that we have a teaching staff that cares for our students.

I am a former graduate of Roosevelt High School and I have to say I had some really great teachers, that I won't argue with. The only good priniple was Mr. Smith. The ability of the school to keep it's students safe at the time was awful. The racial tension in that school is so thick you could cut it with a knife. Most peolple who went to other high schools say they wish they could be in high school again but I tell you what, you couldn't pay me enough money to go back. I also found that because the teachers were so busy sending kids to the office, and disciplining/ getting after the disruptive students that they didn't have enough time to teach the rest of us that were there to learn. I also want to note that this school didn't prepare me for college at all!!!

Great school that deserves a much better rep! Teachers are amasing and although they have a tough job they are able to take the time for idividual students that need the extra help! They are ALWAYS supportive! Athletics coaches are great (i.e. football) they may not always win but they have great values that they pass on to the children! You couldn't ask for better role models! Roosevelt has been a wounderful place for my children to attend as my younger children too will go to Roosevel and I would recommend this school to anyone! If you have an issue with this school...belive me it is not the school parents need to be involved too in their childrens learning!

Last modified Roosevelt Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.