Minneapolis, MN
Students enrolled: 1,844

South Senior High School 1

Posted October 30, 2013
South Office staff are APPALLING in unprofessional/ unkind attitudes & lack of empathy toward children. The front office almost unilaterally treats all children as criminals. In the process, these women cause collective damage & create resentment/anger on the part of students while alienating hard won good students & families in an urban school. The women are demeaning to others in some way daily & palpably unwilling to impart sincerity in dealing with the population. God forbid your child should become sick or have some special need. Management is either unable to effect change in the hard-edged office culture or just don't really care about larger professional vision of being proactive about the hostile service environment created by their co-workers, MPS staff & the system. In my company, the front desk is the full representation of the community & if you don't have warm & sincere customer service there, willing to help with heart & the extra mile - you've got a real problem! Hope the new principle holds staff accountable or fires dead weight! Office staff are ruining & alienating the school's hard won community! Very hard to reverse and requires resources!

South Senior High School 2

Posted September 27, 2013
Segregated Native program, some of the teachers sit on their butt while you do worksheets and one even disappears into their supply closet each day. So, some really great teachers but many bad teachers, too, who really don't care about anything but their pay check. If you get a B and want extra help, they laugh at you because you are just fine. A students excel on their own, sort of, I think.

Posted November 22, 2012
I am a freshman at South and I absolutely adore it. The teachers are phenomenal, the student body is very diverse(something you won't find at many other high schools in the metro) and the community is very welcoming. I play sports, which I have found to be very helpful as a way of meeting other kids, particularly upperclassmen. I also play in band and I am sure that South has the best band program in the state. Our director is amazing, by far the best teacher I have ever had.The kids are talented, hardworking and just love music. I would highly recommend this school!

Posted July 20, 2011
Excellent school, Wonderful teachers and great students. Go Tigers. As a parent I would recommend everyone to attend South if it was possible. This school cares about the well being of their students and willing to go above and beyond to help their students learn. South has the opportunity for students to have child care while going to school and thats very important to the young parents who wish to continue their high school education. Great challenging academic programs and lots of sports activities. Its again a great school and I am glad my daughter has the opportunity to continue her education as a senior at South and take what she has learned and continue her education at the college of her choice. ss sh

Posted April 07, 2011
I love south, It's an amazing school and i'm glad I chose to go to this school. Living in north Minneapolis and having an attendance school at Patrick Henry and Edison really does not and will not match South. Having all my siblings go to Henry and father to Edison, South has been the most impressive so far. Thats the reason why I chose to study at south and not at any other schools. Souths environment is amazing, teachers are great, food sucks(though it;s all mpls schools) but near lake street so plenty of outside restaurants, everyone has a place, great for rigorous education, very good in arts, music, theater, awesome sports and just in general an amazing school. It may not look amazing, but no other school can beat it. It's very well rounded, and very diverse.

South Senior High School 4

Posted October 13, 2010
This school has the most diverse population of students and families.

Posted October 13, 2010
strong liberal arts curriculum, passionate teachers and students great music and theater

Posted February 23, 2010
Really great school. Wonderful world languages program. Amazing music department with excellent orchestra,chior and band program. Much student involvement in theater-currently My Town- many ap and cis classes offered. So much more.

Posted November 05, 2009
I also wanted to vote for PCAE (Arts High School), but I couldn't find it here. South is an amazing school though, almost like a little city. Very crowded with lots of diversity, yet very safe and organized. I know during the Clinton years the arts were very well funded and there were classes (with Sally French at the time) that involved going to the Walker Art Center, the MIA, etc. I will never forget those classes and the impact they had on my life!

Posted October 03, 2009
South has a great music program.

South Senior High School
3131 19th Ave South, Minneapolis, MN  55407
Last modified South Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top