Minneapolis, MN

Posted March 11, 2014
Awesome school. Beth Ness is amazing and so connected with each child and parent at the school. The transition to Keewaydin in 3rd grade is seamless. Amazing school and teachers. Not sure where this rating of 4 comes from. If all of the parents took this survey I would bet the rating would be at 8.

Lk Nokomis Community-Wenonah Campus 4

Posted January 28, 2014
I used this site to research schools when our oldest was approaching kindergarten age, and I was concerned about the negative rating, especially because it's the school we're guaranteed admittance to, and would likely be our only option. THIS CONCERN WAS UNWARRANTED! This is a great school, and we are more than happy with the quality of teaching, the communication we enjoy with both the teachers and the principal, and the parent involvement. I think schools that suffer from an undue bad reputation work harder to prove themselves, and I believe we've benefitted as a result.

Posted January 22, 2014
I have to admit that Wenonah was not our first choice school. However, it has exceeded our expectations and we plan to stay! The school is small and there's an excellent sense of community. The teachers, principal and staff are welcoming, accommodating and truly care about the students and the families. On a weekly basis, my son has music, media, art, and gym twice a week. When the weather is nice, the kindergarten classes have outside recess twice a day. The academics seem excellent with a lot of focus on and support for reading. The focus is on teaching the kids in a variety of ways so they can truly learn and not on how much material can be covered or on testing scores (unlike some other schools). Homework is sent home on Wednesdays and due on Tursdays. We love it this way! Especially compared to some schools that have homework scattered throughout the week, even for kindergarteners. The students are diverse and there is lots of parent and community involvement. Wenonah earned the School of Excellence award in 2013 and is a neighborhood gem!

Posted October 31, 2012
My child is receiving a top notch education at this school, the staff and teachers are very involved with my student and you can tell tehy really care about the quality of education for all of the students. My student loves school and is thriving.

Posted June 01, 2012
This is a great school and only getting better. The new principal, who started in 2011, is superb. Staff are committed and caring. Lots of individual attention for all students, independent of ability. Nice racial and socio-economic diversity as well. We were a bit concerned when our daughter started here, having moved from the suburbs where she attended a school that had it all, but we love the school and all it has to offer. Our daughter and son love it to. We have a lot of friends who send their kids to Burroughs, private, or charter schools, and we always try to convince them that Wenonah is great. Too few have actually taken the plunge. It's their lose in the end. Wenonah is great.

Posted March 26, 2011
Having kids at this school it's hard for me to believe the data listed here on test scores & racial demographic is correct. If one didn't know better they might get the impression this school is sub-par, which it's not. This is a VERY good school, lot's of parents involved, great lake neighborhood full of kids/parks. The base is neighborhood kids from middle class, blue collar-done-well families that live E of Lake Nokomis moving towards Minnehaha Falls & S of 42 St.

Posted July 10, 2008
Wenonah provides our two children with top-notch education. Teachers are superb! The best kept secret in the Minneapolis Public School District.

Posted February 11, 2008
This is a great school! Small classrooms, wonderful staff, diverisity - great urban elementary school!

Lk Nokomis Community-Wenonah Campus
5625 23rd Ave South, Minneapolis, MN  55417
Last modified Lk Nokomis Community-Wenonah Campus is a Public school that serves grades K-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lk Nokomis Community-Wenonah Campus Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top