Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Marcy Open Elementary School 5

Posted March 06, 2016
I am so glad my children attend this school. Yes, it is an overcrowded minneapolis public school. That goes for all schools in the district. Including charter. What I do know, is My daughter has had an Amazing teacher that has followed her through 2 years now (as they all do, same teacher 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th) who works her butt off to make that school the best possible experience for EVERY child in her class. Which also happen to be from every income level, every race, multiple languages and creed, not to mention different learning and social levels. Yet, all those kids treat each other with empathy and respect. Every when things may not be so great at home, and when they're not; Her teacher works even harder to reach them. I know this why? because I observe it during my volunteer hours. The empathy in that class is amazing. Even when there is a shift of energy. For the music program. I wasn't too concerned, since my 2nd grader received 3 months of intensive education on the Beatles, their history, the decades, their music and social impact. She and peers practiced hours a week with a live band. Several songs, rhythms and dance. Not to mention home projects and a performance and the end of the unit ( much better to me than sitting in a room 30 minutes a week with a pair of cymbals); All in large thanks to the Marcy arts partnership. Yes there is a lot of parental involvement. And I think it's fantastic! To the dress code. That was discussed openly on the parents Facebook account and at the Marcy open parent council, and was changed months ago. There will always be parents that are unhappy, and move their kids from school to school; they also tend to be the loudest complainers. Are there things that could improve? Sure! But that goes for all schools! I personally feel it a privilege to be a Marcy parent, and happen to love our leadership, and wouldn't change it for the world!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted March 06, 2016
Nicole Khuse. She is an amazing light to the school! Her empathy, diligence, and use of responsive classroom. Is amazing to watch. She has so many skills at such a young age! Such a leader now, I can't even imagine the inspiration she will be in years to come. Thank you for loving my child! And to Pricipal Donna. Thank you for your involvement on so many levels and your amazing ability to acknowledge and recognize (if not name) every parent and child in your enormous school!

Marcy Open Elementary School 1

Posted March 03, 2016
PLEASE pay attention. Marcy draws talented kids and supportive families. However, the leadership at the school is not open to hearing from or working with families or staff members. Students as young as kindergarten come home crying because of "dress code violations" while older girls are pulled from class because THEY were distracting boys, causing the girl to lose instructional time. This year, they stopped offering music to second graders. They rely on a parent supported arts gala to bring in enrichment opportunities. That is fine, but why should core academic classes be pulled from the curriculum and supported with activities that are paid for by parents? My son started a petition to return the music program and was told that "we don't do that kind of a thing here." What? For all of the talk in the tour about leadership, peace, community development, students are squashed when they don't fall into the "expected behavior." The culture is: Be white, be liberal, be smart, be affluent and BE QUIET. When I indicated my dissatisfaction, the principal simply said "I've got a waiting list, you are free to leave. Your seats will be filled." Nothing great happens without everyone working hard and challenging to make it happen. Marcy was a jewel. It no longer is.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted March 03, 2016
Like anywhere, we have had amazing teachers and terrible teachers. However, unlike anywhere, all teachers are afraid, and not living to their fullest potential. They whisper in hallways and give knowing looks when you mention your concerns. No one will dare challenge the principal. Same goes for community. I am now embarrassed to admit that I fell for the tour, the reputation but couldn't see through the BS to the truth. Marcy is skating on an old reputation and continues to try to cream talented, affluent, white families from the other schools. I want my child to grow, learn and thrive in Minneapolis. That includes all of my neighbors.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted March 03, 2016
The focus of the past few years seems to be simply "getting through the day." My children are interested and intrigued learners. One of my daughters has gotten the same score on every report card for every year she has been there. 30+ measures over 9+ report cards. Always doing "average." Do they even see her? Are they challenging her? How could it be possible that she has nothing to work on? And that she also excels at nothing. It isn't true. She simply isn't seen in that space. The classroom too busy, she is introverted and follows instructions. Get through the day, but who cares what she will be like as a life long learner.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted March 03, 2016
The authority figures do not respect the students or parents. It is not modeled or expected. Because they do not engage in difficult conversations, they do not show students to respectfully engage, learn and come to resolution.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted March 03, 2016
In general, students are nice and compliant. I believe that this has more to do with the parenting than the school. They do not deal with bullying well.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted March 03, 2016
The school does not allow space for discourse. You can continue to volunteer, be in a play, do tangential opportunities for change. When it comes down to honestly dealing with issues - students are quieted, or the process is made too difficult.

Marcy Open Elementary School 5

Posted August 25, 2015
We are in our 6th year at Marcy. My son is thriving there and still wakes up excited to go to school. The community and parent involvement there can't be beat. Only complaint is crowded classrooms but that is a problem across the board with MPS. So far I feel like it hasn't affected my son's education. The teachers are fantastic and rise to any challenge MPS my throw at them.

Marcy Open Elementary School 4

Posted May 18, 2013
I go to marcy as a sixth grader in 2013. The school is great and i learn a lot . We are a caring and loving community at marcy. All this burned out and stuff i am reading is POPPYCOCK. Marcy is a wonderful school and i recommend it,

415 4th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN  55414
Last modified Marcy Open Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.