Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The school doesn't treat me fair. They always yelling me for no reason and suspended me from school. They don't do anything about the kids or teacher bulling me. The school doesn't even care for us as kids they treat us like we are nothing but trouble makers and they always have their favorite students get away with everything. i'm always getting sent home. I hate the school.

I am so glad my children attend this school. Yes, it is an overcrowded minneapolis public school. That goes for all schools in the district. Including charter. What I do know, is My daughter has had an Amazing teacher that has followed her through 2 years now (as they all do, same teacher 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th) who works her butt off to make that school the best possible experience for EVERY child in her class. Which also happen to be from every income level, every race, multiple languages and creed, not to mention different learning and social levels. Yet, all those kids treat each other with empathy and respect. Every when things may not be so great at home, and when they're not; Her teacher works even harder to reach them. I know this why? because I observe it during my volunteer hours. The empathy in that class is amazing. Even when there is a shift of energy. For the music program. I wasn't too concerned, since my 2nd grader received 3 months of intensive education on the Beatles, their history, the decades, their music and social impact. She and peers practiced hours a week with a live band. Several songs, rhythms and dance. Not to mention home projects and a performance and the end of the unit ( much better to me than sitting in a room 30 minutes a week with a pair of cymbals); All in large thanks to the Marcy arts partnership. Yes there is a lot of parental involvement. And I think it's fantastic! To the dress code. That was discussed openly on the parents Facebook account and at the Marcy open parent council, and was changed months ago. There will always be parents that are unhappy, and move their kids from school to school; they also tend to be the loudest complainers. Are there things that could improve? Sure! But that goes for all schools! I personally feel it a privilege to be a Marcy parent, and happen to love our leadership, and wouldn't change it for the world!

PLEASE pay attention. Marcy draws talented kids and supportive families. However, the leadership at the school is not open to hearing from or working with families or staff members. Students as young as kindergarten come home crying because of "dress code violations" while older girls are pulled from class because THEY were distracting boys, causing the girl to lose instructional time. This year, they stopped offering music to second graders. They rely on a parent supported arts gala to bring in enrichment opportunities. That is fine, but why should core academic classes be pulled from the curriculum and supported with activities that are paid for by parents? My son started a petition to return the music program and was told that "we don't do that kind of a thing here." What? For all of the talk in the tour about leadership, peace, community development, students are squashed when they don't fall into the "expected behavior." The culture is: Be white, be liberal, be smart, be affluent and BE QUIET. When I indicated my dissatisfaction, the principal simply said "I've got a waiting list, you are free to leave. Your seats will be filled." Nothing great happens without everyone working hard and challenging to make it happen. Marcy was a jewel. It no longer is.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Like anywhere, we have had amazing teachers and terrible teachers. However, unlike anywhere, all teachers are afraid, and not living to their fullest potential. They whisper in hallways and give knowing looks when you mention your concerns. No one will dare challenge the principal. Same goes for community. I am now embarrassed to admit that I fell for the tour, the reputation but couldn't see through the BS to the truth. Marcy is skating on an old reputation and continues to try to cream talented, affluent, white families from the other schools. I want my child to grow, learn and thrive in Minneapolis. That includes all of my neighbors.

Develops character: Disagree

The school does not allow space for discourse. You can continue to volunteer, be in a play, do tangential opportunities for change. When it comes down to honestly dealing with issues - students are quieted, or the process is made too difficult.

We are in our 6th year at Marcy. My son is thriving there and still wakes up excited to go to school. The community and parent involvement there can't be beat. Only complaint is crowded classrooms but that is a problem across the board with MPS. So far I feel like it hasn't affected my son's education. The teachers are fantastic and rise to any challenge MPS my throw at them.

I go to marcy as a sixth grader in 2013. The school is great and i learn a lot . We are a caring and loving community at marcy. All this burned out and stuff i am reading is POPPYCOCK. Marcy is a wonderful school and i recommend it,

Marcy Open is a 'has been' area school choice, and "has been" for more than a decade. Once the model for Barton Open (E. Lake Harriet) & having a dedicated, special, child-centered and creative group of 5 women teachers all who left by late 90s, Marcy's shinning legacy certainly has not been upheld by those who have held the torch. This manifests in so many ways, child attitude toward the love of learning, integrated creativity and teacher quality. Some teachers, one male in particular, are very questionable performance/social skill. Get rid of him. Others teachers are burned out and unhealthy, partly due I think to the environment. A good school goes far beyond desired discipline and academic cores. These are all Marcy is trying to hang onto and unsuccessfully. Marcy needs a sea change and a common philosophical vision renewal big time. What a shining star it was and can be again but for shining again the human spirit.

My son went to Marcy from Kindergarten to 3 rd grade, I pulled him out In 3rd grade because his teacher was gone for over 3 months and he was getting behind, the substitute teacher didn't seem to know who he was whenever I met my son at his classroom after school for pick up. There's no parking so when you drop off and pick up your child you risk getting hit by other parents because they don't seem to care who Is In the road. My son now goes to Hale and i LOVE it. Good riddance Marcy!!!!

Marcy is not the school it was in 2008. The new leadership has caused a lot of teacher turnover. It is still a "good enough" school and I'm not pulling my child out. In the past two years music has been bashed by leadership and is now struggling. Teachers that have been re-assigned, seemingly randomly and not for the good of student achievement, to grades with which they are unfamiliar. I'm worried about Marcy's future and hope my child will not need to change schools before 8th grade graduationl

Last modified Marcy Open Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.