Minneapolis, MN

Marcy Open Elementary School 4

Posted May 18, 2013
I go to marcy as a sixth grader in 2013. The school is great and i learn a lot . We are a caring and loving community at marcy. All this burned out and stuff i am reading is POPPYCOCK. Marcy is a wonderful school and i recommend it,

Marcy Open Elementary School 1

Posted August 09, 2012
Marcy Open is a 'has been' area school choice, and "has been" for more than a decade. Once the model for Barton Open (E. Lake Harriet) & having a dedicated, special, child-centered and creative group of 5 women teachers all who left by late 90s, Marcy's shinning legacy certainly has not been upheld by those who have held the torch. This manifests in so many ways, child attitude toward the love of learning, integrated creativity and teacher quality. Some teachers, one male in particular, are very questionable performance/social skill. Get rid of him. Others teachers are burned out and unhealthy, partly due I think to the environment. A good school goes far beyond desired discipline and academic cores. These are all Marcy is trying to hang onto and unsuccessfully. Marcy needs a sea change and a common philosophical vision renewal big time. What a shining star it was and can be again but for shining again the human spirit.

Marcy Open Elementary School 2

Posted September 07, 2011
My son went to Marcy from Kindergarten to 3 rd grade, I pulled him out In 3rd grade because his teacher was gone for over 3 months and he was getting behind, the substitute teacher didn't seem to know who he was whenever I met my son at his classroom after school for pick up. There's no parking so when you drop off and pick up your child you risk getting hit by other parents because they don't seem to care who Is In the road. My son now goes to Hale and i LOVE it. Good riddance Marcy!!!!

Marcy Open Elementary School 2

Posted August 29, 2011
Marcy is not the school it was in 2008. The new leadership has caused a lot of teacher turnover. It is still a "good enough" school and I'm not pulling my child out. In the past two years music has been bashed by leadership and is now struggling. Teachers that have been re-assigned, seemingly randomly and not for the good of student achievement, to grades with which they are unfamiliar. I'm worried about Marcy's future and hope my child will not need to change schools before 8th grade graduationl

Posted October 01, 2008
This Is my son's 2nd year at Marcy and he's doing well thanks to his dedicated teacher, so far I have been lucky to get two wonderful teachers both years. My son has a good time while he's at school and learns so much. The teachers at Marcy always take the time to talk to the parents and keep them Involved. I am very proud of our school :) Keep up the good work.

Marcy Open Elementary School

Posted January 10, 2008
We have a 7th grader and a 5th grader at Marcy and feel very lucky to have them at such a dynamic, interesting school with such a creative and involved set of parents and other community residents. I know of no other school where my kids could be learning so much academically, while also participating in exciting arts activities like theater, band, rock band, the visual arts and more. Such programs have become almost extinct in the public schools, but Marcy's dedicated staff and parent groups continue to raise money to fund them and to do the work to make them happen. Marcy is a truly urban school, with a very diverse student body and lousy parking, but being right in the city means the kids get incredible opportunities because they can walk downtown, to the Guthrie, take city buses to museums and more. Marcy is a real gem.

Marcy Open Elementary School 4

Posted December 15, 2006
I was extremely happy with my student's kindergarten experience. In the first and second grades we had a teacher who went out of his way to help my child when it became clear that the pace in class was too slow for her. In third grade we were not so lucky. It was clear that there were no resources for a g/t student. It was sad to watch the enthusiasm for school draining away. In the end I had to find another school for her to attend that had a strong g/t program. All in all, I like Marcy a lot. The community is wonderful. What is frustrating is what they have to accomplish with little funding. If that weren't such a huge issue, I think Marcy would be a superb school.

Posted August 22, 2006
Marcy is a special place and a terrific school. My daughter feels safe, nurtured, and learns so many interesting things everyday. It has wonderful diversity and many extracurricular activities!

Marcy Open Elementary School 1

Posted July 29, 2006
Marcy Open school like almost all the public schools has suffered from budget cuts. Yet it seems to grow with problems everywhere year after year that never get delt with. Because of the poor leadership at marcy, students in every class in the school are not doing well.

Posted April 28, 2005
My daughter is now in fifth grade and I feel lucky every day we found Marcy. This is a place where it is cool to be smart, creative and being respectful of fellow students and ideas is a lesson taught daily.

Marcy Open Elementary School
415 4th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN  55414
Last modified Marcy Open Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marcy Open Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top