Minneapolis, MN

Posted March 05, 2015
As a parent who used to have three kids at Whittier, I was drawn to the school because of the IB program, as well as the truly diverse student population. That said, I ended up having to pull my kids out this last year due to many poor management decisions that have led to a grossly high teacher turnover. In the four years my kids were in school there, I can't even count on my fingers and toes how many wonderful classroom teachers have left. That is a HUGE red flag for a parent, or for anyone looking to send their child to Whittier. If I were you, I would look into other options in the area and stay away.
4 people found this helpful

Posted March 03, 2015
It's so unfortunate that Whittier International is being driven into the ground by the unprofessionalism of the current administration. The huge turnover in staff is a major red flag. I could not in good faith recommend sending any student to this school. There are better options nearby.
5 people found this helpful

Posted March 02, 2015
This school has been and continues to be highly mismanaged. The administration team frequently uses bullying tactics to push teachers around. There has been lack of leadership in particular areas such as behavior support. Many students have Emotional Behavior Disorders and there is little to no help for teachers with supporting them--they are just thrown into classrooms to disrupt at will. There are many highly dedicated staff members at Whittier, but we are not in a positive atmosphere (as far as administrative support goes) that would allow us to thrive. As long as the current principal is running the school, I would think twice before sending your children here.
5 people found this helpful

Posted December 09, 2014
Both of my daughters graduated from Whittier, and I do not think I truly appreciated what an amazing school it is until they moved onto less inspiring schools. They had 2 principals while there, both strong and amazing women. There friends were amazing, from every socio-economic and cultural background you can imagine which truly prepared them to be empathetic, compassionate people comfortable around anyone! Their teachers were, for the most part, super supportive and amazing! They have lots of afterschool options, jump start, a great Minneapolis Kids program. They have lots of ways for parents to get involved, lots of special programs at the school. It is not always pretty and neat and orderly, but that is because it is a community of diverse perspectives coming together and creating something beautiful. I LOVE and MISS Whittier!!!!!!!!

Posted September 12, 2013
I am a tutor at Whittier and have always been positively impressed with the capabilities and dedication of the staff. The students are lucky to be able to attend this school.

Posted September 11, 2013
Whittier is a fantastic school - don't let the 2/10 rating scare you from considering this school for your child. My kids are getting a rigorous education and surrounded by diversity and global thinkers. They are taught to question - not memorize. Great PTA and parents care and engage. Promotes tolerance and that there is more than one way to approach life - Whittier is a gem in MPS.

Posted May 12, 2013
I can't believe GreatSchools gives Whittier a 2/10. That is ridiculous. This school has stolen my heart. My kindergartner loves to go to school every day and has really thrived in the IB environment that focuses on the "why" behind what they learn. I'd choose it over the "good" schools like Lake Harriet and Burroughs again in a heart beat. It does not have the high-powered PTA of those other schools with so many parents with extra time and money, but there is a strong PTA and an excellent school-family liaison on staff.

Posted August 28, 2011
Fantastic school, supportive teachers and active parent community. Don't let the Great Schools rating worry you - this school is amazing and the IB curriculum is a huge win. My kids are learning to be critical thinkers - not just memorizing for the tests. Super open-minded environment.

Posted May 25, 2010
Already fantastic school w/ so much more potential! I am fortunate to have my daughter attending.

Whittier International 4

Posted April 21, 2010
Great school with a majority of the teachers having pride in their craft, multicultural student body, and parents that are interested in their children and school. The IB curriculum is a plus which not only makes parents and kids stay on their toes, but teachers too!

Whittier International
315 West 26th St, Minneapolis, MN  55404
Last modified Whittier International is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whittier International Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top