K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

This is a school where the kids in the higher math classes would consistently score in the 99th percentile on standardized testing, kids in the middle would score above the 80th and kids in the 'lower' class would always score above the 50th percentile. If that doesn't show you the amazing academics I don't know what will. My experience with the social situation was not all great hence the 4 stars but, the academics were outstanding. I'm currently in my high school and easily breezing by with a 4.09 GPA compared to my classmates who are struggling.

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

I was never 'bullied' in my class but I certainly didn't feel wanted. There was some major cliques that had been formed in kindergarten and if you weren't in the friend circle then, you were pretty much screwed. I don't know if it's only the people who were in the cliques reviewing this topic but I had a pretty bad experience socially with this school. However, even with my bad experience, it could have just been my grade as most other grades seemed to have a better social situation including my sister's grade with her moving freely around in different friend groups and making close friendships.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers at Annunciation were amazing all the way through. All of the teachers set me up very well for high school which I am now breezing through with a 4.09 GPA. I was disappointed ,though, when I heard Sra. Weiland had left because she was a phenomenal Spanish teacher for the way I learned although many of my classmates didn't like her. In my freshman year, I didn't learn anything new in Spanish until the 4th quester and I was in the highest Spanish class a Freshman could be in. With all my praise on Sra. Weiland I'm disappointed to hear that the new Spanish teacher is not very good from talking with the other student.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

When I went to Annunciation, the homework was reasonable and hardly ever lasting over an hour a night however, it still prepared me very well for high school.

The school doesn't understand all learners and certainly doesn't know how to handle kids with ADHD. These are kids needing support, not ridicule and alienation. We left the school and in retrospect see how bad it really was for our kids. This is a very conservatively lead school. There are less conservative families attending but they aren't on the school council or church board. The parents serving in those rolls are strongly conservative and guide the conservative nature of the social teachings, including a conservative weekly church service during the school day and catholic sacrament services throughout the year. As a non-catholic our children were told they wouldn't be able to participate in parts of the church services. Although unintentional, they were made to feel 'less-than' because they weren't catholic. There are some wonderful staff and incredibly loving teachers but the leadership... They say the right thing but do the opposite. Lots of promises and not a lot of follow thru. If you are a conservative catholic family with kids who have no learning challenges, this might be a good fit for you - otherwise consider other options. The families we got to know were wonderful which made it difficult to pull our children. We didn't feel comfortable having our kids taught that our family's beliefs were considered wrong, immoral and sinful in the eye of the catholic church.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

It was inconsistent in our experience. Again, they say the right thing but there is little follow up or follow through.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

There are teachers who get it. But that is far outweighed by those who don't. Including some of aides and lunchroom/playground staff.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

I think the leadership is out of touch with the community and, to a certain extent, the teachers. They say what families wan to hear to get them in the door but it's a bit of a bait and switch.

Develops character: Neutral

Like any school, there is bullying. Kids who have a strong family involvement in the school have a bit of entitlement that makes it difficult for weaker kids to find a place to stand out and shine.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

We had some WONDERFUL teachers but not all. There was some unacceptable teachers who didn't understand ADHD at all. It's not acceptable in this day and age to be unaware of managing kids with ADHD.

Last modified Annunciation School is a Private school that serves grades K-8