No rating

Minnehaha Academy Upper School

Private | PK-12 | 965 students

Living in Minneapolis

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $145,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted March 19, 2014

Minnehaha is a great school, community, and place of worship! I would recommend Minnehaha to all prospective families. Start your kids here as young as possible!

Posted September 13, 2013

Minnehaha Academy is a phenomenal school on all levels. They are excellent in academics, arts, and athletics. Most of my lifelong friends are not from college, but from my time at Minnehaha. I'd highly recommend Minnehaha to anyone!

Posted September 13, 2013

Minnehaha is an awesome school! The academics and teachers are great. The sports and coaches are great! The arts program and facilities are super. I'd recommend this inviting Christian school to anyone! Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Posted April 5, 2013

Minnehaha Academy has been an amazing place for our kids to grow and excel. The high school is small enough for the kids to know just about everyone, yet big enough to offer everything from football to a debate team. What is unique is the desire of these students to do well in everything - positive pressure to have great grades and perform well in whatever activity they choose. And with a smaller school, kids aren't forced to choose between band and theater and hockey. They can do it all. My kids have made terrific, solid friends and have close relationship with their teachers as well. The senior capstone class is amazing for these young adults to express, explore and solidify their faith. And the cultural field experience allows the entire high school to spend a week in a new cultural environment, learning about and serving others. We are very satisfied with not only the education our children are receiving, but all the 'extras' that are helping them become adults who want to do their best and serve others.

Posted October 15, 2011

I currently go to Minnehaha Academy. I highly recommend Minnehaha Academy. Teacher - Student relations are better than any that I know of. The teachers will bend over backwards to help you out in any area. Students are generally accepting and if you put yourself out there at least a little bit, you'll find someone to hang out with. The music and art departments are absolutely amazing, and I hardly hear complaints about bad coaching in sports. There are a few downsides to this school, which are just that the school is very Christian focused and that there is a lack of diversity. The religious side could bring a student to the point of feeling uncomfortable in class judging by how much we pray or bring religion into our day to day lives, but in no way is the religion forced upon their students. The teachers and/or classes are just very set in their beliefs and don't leave much room for personal opinion. Overall, this is a very good school to send a kid to. Financial aid is very generous and helps a lot. The Christian values of the school bring a very welcoming aspect to the school, wich is very valuable in a teen's life.

Posted March 10, 2011

As you have read, the academics at Minnehaha Academy are superb and the school's excellent at prep for college study. As a former student I particularly enjoyed some great classes (I encourage everyone to take Latin; great teacher and it was really one of the best experiences I had). I also enjoyed some wonderful activities, in particular the Friends of the Library and the music department. However, despite academic and extracurriculars, the school's trouble lies with the religion and diversity. I had more liberal and less traditional Christian views, and in certain aspects I felt really alienated in school. Classes sometimes focus far too much on religion even if they aren't religious classes and the religious classes were pretty set in their views. Minnehaha is difficult for me because I love some aspects and hate others. My time at Minnehaha was overall positive, but sometimes the feeling of alienation as I was trying to discover myself became too much.

Posted December 2, 2010

As my son finishes graduate school this year, I recall with fondness the decision we negotiated together to have him leave, after ninth grade, one of the finer publis schools in the western suburbs to attend what was then a fairly run-down high school on West River Road. In the intervening time, the campus has improved with two major capital campaigns and my son, almost singularly among his friends from before MA, has found success at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, largely due to the fine start he got in languages, the arts, athletics, and positive mentoring at MA. I probably recommend it stronger than he; I am a little envious I never had the opportunity to attend a school like Minnehaha Academy.

Posted July 21, 2010

As a parent I can attest to the high academic standards, excellence in teaching and opportunities for creative expression experienced at Minnehaha. The projects the students complete from an early age are impressive, and provide meaningful learning and sharing experiences. Students from Minnehaha Academy excel in the classroom, on the athletic fields, and in the arts. Gifted students are accepted by a number of Ivy League colleges each year, and find they are well prepared for highly competitive academic environments.

Posted October 8, 2008

As a past student (4th grade through 11th), I found the educational aspects of the school to be absolutely exceptional but the lack of diversity is quite disturbing. Religion is heavily taught in all classes, with little to no objectively or critical questioning to the material. There is hardly any broadening of the individual self, but rather of how you should fit in with the rest. It can be quite discouraging for many students, including myself. Ultimately, I changed to another school with an IB program, which I found much more balanced.

Posted September 18, 2008

I'm a student there, and I love this school, because everyone is friendly. No one tells you to go away, or is a jerk to you. Just have your kid shadow there, you'll see! I love my teachers, who will always have time to sit by me and have a one on one class session and help me if i'm having trouble in a subject. I remeber one day I realized when I was having so much fun I said, Oh my gosh! i'm learning!!!

Posted August 19, 2008

We thought MA was out of the question financially, but we and our student really wanted to enroll; we have several family alums. To our amazement, financial aid came through enough to make it affordable. The first year (9th) was very challenging, even though our student had a strong academic background, but the teachers and staff bent over backwards to help. There's no 'hand-holding,' as the student is expected to take responsibility (like college), but the teachers are eager, caring, sincere, understanding, and highly qualified. Plus, we love the environment where Christ can be discussed openly. Parental involvement is not only encouraged, it is required. The only real downside we found was a sense of 'disconnect' from other parents at first. However, our student has made so many friends we can't keep up with them all. It's a very friendly and respectful environment.

Posted January 20, 2008

Our son was struggling in the public school system with large class sizes. He also did not have the opportunity to participate in the activities that he liked. That all turned around at Minnehaha with a large boost to his confidence, huge improvement in grades, and the chance to become a leader in his senior year. My wife and I owe a deep debt of gratitude to the inspired and caring teachers, to the administration and board for their vision, and the other parents and students that truly make MA a very special place. I don't know if our son will ever know how Minnehaha has changed his life, but my wife and I do. I understand that that Minnehaha may not be the perfect fit for everyone, but I truly believe it was the hand of God that directed our family to Minnehaha.

Posted July 18, 2007

For our family MA has been a mixed bag of opportunity- some things were very positive like, quality of teachers, opportunities in extra curricular activities, quality of friends and students. Other things were not so positive, ever increasing tuition, lack of concern for parent input and involvement, ability to serve students with any kind of learning disability. We didn't find the school interested or supportive in determining ways to make it more affordable or accessible for our family so I'm glad to hear it was not this way for everybody. We are a middle class family who struggled to afford the school.

Posted June 9, 2007

As an alum, I look forward to sending my kids to Minnehaha Academy some day. Before transfering to MA, I attended two other high schools, one public and one private, both in Minneapolis. My experience was such a contrast: strong academics, attentive and caring teachers. I was involved in athletics every season and played in the orchestra. There was so much parental involvement and my classmate's parents were so caring, it felt like a big extended family. Their Christian faith was beautifully displayed, and that combined with Bible classes, eventually helped lead me to my own faith. If you want your children to have powerful, positive influences your chances are MUCH better here. Minnehaha was a light in my life. Most high schools really aren't like that. You can't put a price on such an experience.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 17, 2007

We have sent our kids to Minnehaha for five years, and have noticed a growing diversity in both the student population and teacher population. Minnehaha also offers financial aid to families who qualify, and they really do all that is with in their means to help you send your child there. I strongly encourage families who are thinking about sending their children there, but feel that they may not be able to afford it to contact the business office and ask what options are available. You may be surprised.

Posted April 11, 2007

School lacks diversity in students, faculty, and education. If the school had a more culturally competent atmosphere, I would recommend this school to everyone.

Posted May 2, 2006

This is one of the best christan schools around the teachers are great and the administrators are also good. you can go here for only $12,000 a year yes its a hefty sum but its worth it in the long run esspecially if you want you kid to go to college. You need two years of a languige to graduate and they offer many sports all year around. The kids are all friendly and supportive and love to help you when you are in need. They have tudors and others after school to help you also. They have a very good music program for lower, middle, and high school they start to use satb in seventh grade and learn to find pitch with there changing voices with Mrs. Taylor. So you see this school is top notch through ou the minneapolis school district.

Posted August 31, 2005

This is a great school with very strong academic programs. Kids are being treated with care, love, and respect. The quality of teachers is top notch. In addition to academic excellence, they stress on music, art, and sports very much. The lower school has its own ice-skating arena and football field and has recently been renovated. The upper school is housed in a fantastic campus also with recently completed expansion and renovation. The school is loaded with state-of-the-art teaching tools and facilities. I strongly recommend that you should bring your kids there for their open houses this fall/winter to see this wonderful school first hand.

Posted December 7, 2004

I am not a parent but an alum. My experience at M.A. was only the best. I can recommend this school highly to anyone asking. I was well prepared for education beyond highschool and felt cared for by the teachers and staff, many of whom are also alumni. Feel confident that this can be the right school for your child at any stage.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Other

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious