Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This is my last year at this school but to be honest I don't feel very confident to move into high school the school is very focused on social justice but quite a bit to much. As long I have been here I have learned a lot of things over and over another things is the school isn't as individualized per student as they so proclaim and if you have a different opinion your not allowed to speak about such things especially when your peers are taught to see most events from a one sided point of view and never the other even if its wrong I do love the school and I've decided to stay till eight grade but I don't recommend everyone to participate in this school

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

There is no way to bully kids at a school where everyone knows each other by but I guess they do

Supports LD students: Disagree

It'll either hold you back or make you learn the same as there students

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Their are no serious consequences the only major one is they'll call your parents but a lot of parents seem to not care

Develops character: Neutral

I mean it tries but it fails pretty strongly

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Their effective at pasting their ideas in your head for sure

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Its mostly I'll give you this and you do is not very helpful for people like me which learn different from most people!e

Lots of drama with changes in leadership, recently, but a fantastic place to work and learn. Small classes, great commitment to individual student growth, and a fantastic community based approach to involving children in civil rights education and activism. Come check it out! You won't be disappointed.

I loved this school a lot in the past years but in my grade kids were planning a walk out because the school executive director was not very well liked. The students who wanted to be more on the outside were bullied and picked on. I think that is not what a school like this should be like. I will miss my friends but I won't miss that when someone has an unpopular opinion they get pushed around, especially kids whose families are supposed to be all about civil rights and struggle and whatnot. Lots of good families and experiences but some people really only support you when you believe what they believe. My teachers were all very good but I do think that they should all have licenses to teach, too.

This school was really good for our child and she enjoyed the relaxed learning environment and we enjoyed the parent involvement. That is all in the past tense. Recently the over involvement of some parents (leaving others out of dialogue) , the departure of a wonderful administration, and the knowledge that some teachers do not have a teaching license has sent us looking for another school. One year ago I would have rated this five stars, but today it gets only two. Our child will be attending a different school next year. The rating I gave below has to do with current events that have long-term implications. The former principal leadership was great and the (licensed) teacher that our child had was great.

Last modified Southside Family Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.