Public charter
Minneapolis, MN

Posted August 14, 2014
Lots of drama with changes in leadership, recently, but a fantastic place to work and learn. Small classes, great commitment to individual student growth, and a fantastic community based approach to involving children in civil rights education and activism. Come check it out! You won't be disappointed.

Posted August 14, 2014
I loved this school a lot in the past years but in my grade kids were planning a walk out because the school executive director was not very well liked. The students who wanted to be more on the outside were bullied and picked on. I think that is not what a school like this should be like. I will miss my friends but I won't miss that when someone has an unpopular opinion they get pushed around, especially kids whose families are supposed to be all about civil rights and struggle and whatnot. Lots of good families and experiences but some people really only support you when you believe what they believe. My teachers were all very good but I do think that they should all have licenses to teach, too.

Posted June 09, 2014
This school was really good for our child and she enjoyed the relaxed learning environment and we enjoyed the parent involvement. That is all in the past tense. Recently the over involvement of some parents (leaving others out of dialogue) , the departure of a wonderful administration, and the knowledge that some teachers do not have a teaching license has sent us looking for another school. One year ago I would have rated this five stars, but today it gets only two. Our child will be attending a different school next year. The rating I gave below has to do with current events that have long-term implications. The former principal leadership was great and the (licensed) teacher that our child had was great.

Posted December 13, 2013
The teachers like to think that they're teachers when really all they do is give you answers and make you think that you're always right(not a good thing, believe me.). The school is apparently about freedom and justice, and while this is in someways true, white rich men are often thought of as the horrible bad guys (even when there is a large lack of evidence to support this claim). The teachers talk about how they disapprove of how the white men wiped African and Native American religions and culture (which was bad, believe me) but they say this while trying to copy and paste their beliefs into our brains. I cannot wait until high school... Sincerely - A student

Posted May 02, 2010
Social justice, travel study, small class sizes, dedicated staff

Posted April 28, 2010
Because ITS part of the family....made my family more creative thinkers and the only true shelter I have in MN...I have a home in them and they in me...we love the school!!! AND all it has grown to be.

Posted April 24, 2010
the social justice curriculum, the small class sizes, the enthusiastic teachers and the great kids

Posted April 22, 2010
The school's commitment to small class sizes ensures that every child is well known, understood, and cared for.

Posted April 21, 2010
Amazing teachers! diverse student body, social justice based curriculum oriented around people's history, hands on learning from people who were actually there creating that history, in turn, students learn that they too might be able to forge their way into history as active participant as well! And finally, all the love!

Posted April 20, 2010
I've been devoted to Southside Family Charter School from before it was a charter school and even before Southside Family was in its name. It's open to the little world the students come from--their families--as well as to the big family--the world--they're growing up into. The degree of caring and respect among all the students is and always has been remarkable, greater than in any other school I know.

Southside Family Charter School
4500 Clinton Ave South, Minneapolis, MN  55419
Last modified Southside Family Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southside Family Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top