564 students|Yinghua Academy

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My Daughter goes to school at Yinghau, and I couldn't be happier. The staff is incredible, and really engaged with the students and parents. My daughter looks forward to going to school each and every day and can't wait to teach us mandarin at home. The academics can't be beat and the global view they give the kids are invaluable. I am really looking forward to my son going there next year as well.

Yinghua Academy is an amazing school! Ignore all the other bad reviews, these kids are geniuses! Man, they're doin' calculus in 5th grade! What a school, what a school, dude! My itty-bitty baby is growin' up, yo! Go Yinghua Dragons!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Dishonesty starts from the top and works it's way the rest of the staff and students.

Do not send your boys here!! We did for two years and pulled him due the staff's inability to deal with any child who has an energy level that is above docile. Prepare your children for long periods of time with their arms folded on top of their desks and short periods of time for lunch and recess. The administration pushes fund raising and test scores. The "dean of students", who has no degree relating to education, is a intimidator who does not take bullying seriously, after another boy sent my son to the doctor after being hit in the groin with a rock. This school cares nothing of its underpaid teachers, with all the best ones leaving to other chinese immersion schools in the west metro. If academics are your only concern raising a child then absolutely this is the school for you. The math and chinese are as good as you can get, but in my opinion not worth it.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers at this school are excellent with only a few exceptions. I would like to see efforts to retain them enacted by our administration.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Well, yes. There is a little too much. I understand our kids need to practice to be excellent, and it is clearly working. But our teachers often seem stressed. I'd like recess to be sacred. Research shows that it helps kids focus. They shouldn't be kept in for homework.

I'm giving our school 5 stars this year because of the amazing teachers. We are incredibly lucky to have a school like this in Northeast. Look at St. Anthony for comparable schools - they still aren't rated as well, and our kids are fluent in Mandarin. They can talk to graduate students. Also, the transition to the larger school building has been completed fully. It was a huge project, and there are ups and downs with any project like it. Really, it is a privilege to be able to suggest any kind of improvement to a school this wonderful. Teachers, administrators and staff deal with great responsibility and provide a wonderful, safe environment; better than anything I had growing up, and I went to private school. However, our school has the same problems that other excellent schools have, and that our overall culture in the US does. Some kids tease others to the point of harassment; teachers address the problem, kids learn to complain or retaliate because they might get in trouble if they do. The kids operate on such high standards that even disapproval can feel like punishment. We could benefit from materials that contain positive, age-appropriate and NON victim blaming consent messages, as well as anti-bullying messages. We can improve the culture of the school in the parent, teacher and student populations, if the administration can be supportive. I would like to see the administration support future efforts to get anti-bulling speakers and materials into the school. I would also like to see more parents volunteering and helping out at school. Parents, remember, we have a responsibility to contribute and not just financially. If we engage with and talk to the kids, they will treat each other more humanely. We can make a difference.

Though there is a lot of homework, I am glad to have my kids getting such a first-rate education, and walking away with another language. What an opportunity for them!

My two children are thriving at Yinghua, and I'm grateful every day for the this outstanding school. Yinghua teachers are caring, dedicated, positive role models who understand how to bring classroom content alive for students in a language immersion setting. My eighth grader can't quite imagine what it will be like not to be a Yinghua student next year, but I know he is well prepared for high school, and I thank Yinghua for this. The school board, administrators, teachers and staff have built a remarkable school. Go Dragons!

Our children had been at Yinghua for four years. We pulled them out due to an out-of-touch, bullying director, and an equally shaming "Dean of Students," who has no educational license or background. The school is a sad place with stressed out kids, constant standardized tests, and unfortunate separation between administration and teachers. Since leaving, our children are happier and learning more in their new school.

Last modified Yinghua Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.