434 students|Yinghua Academy

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 08, 2015
The teachers at this school are excellent with only a few exceptions. I would like to see efforts to retain them enacted by our administration.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted September 08, 2015
Well, yes. There is a little too much. I understand our kids need to practice to be excellent, and it is clearly working. But our teachers often seem stressed. I'd like recess to be sacred. Research shows that it helps kids focus. They shouldn't be kept in for homework.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted September 08, 2015
With the amount of homework and testing at the school, is there any alternative? However the proof is in the pudding, this is an excellent school.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted September 08, 2015
Generally yes. The school philosophy correctly teaches students to respect each other and be part of a community, and the teachers do teach this. However, the current administration focuses on respect for authority. I worry that fear-based management may be at play.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted September 08, 2015
I feel we could improve in this area. The original mission of the school definitely asks students to work together and respect others. Now that the expansion is complete, it is time to return to this issue and make it a priority.

Posted September 08, 2015
I'm giving our school 5 stars this year because of the amazing teachers. We are incredibly lucky to have a school like this in Northeast. Look at St. Anthony for comparable schools - they still aren't rated as well, and our kids are fluent in Mandarin. They can talk to graduate students. Also, the transition to the larger school building has been completed fully. It was a huge project, and there are ups and downs with any project like it. Really, it is a privilege to be able to suggest any kind of improvement to a school this wonderful. Teachers, administrators and staff deal with great responsibility and provide a wonderful, safe environment; better than anything I had growing up, and I went to private school. However, our school has the same problems that other excellent schools have, and that our overall culture in the US does. Some kids tease others to the point of harassment; teachers address the problem, kids learn to complain or retaliate because they might get in trouble if they do. The kids operate on such high standards that even disapproval can feel like punishment. We could benefit from materials that contain positive, age-appropriate and NON victim blaming consent messages, as well as anti-bullying messages. We can improve the culture of the school in the parent, teacher and student populations, if the administration can be supportive. I would like to see the administration support future efforts to get anti-bulling speakers and materials into the school. I would also like to see more parents volunteering and helping out at school. Parents, remember, we have a responsibility to contribute and not just financially. If we engage with and talk to the kids, they will treat each other more humanely. We can make a difference.

Posted January 28, 2015
Though there is a lot of homework, I am glad to have my kids getting such a first-rate education, and walking away with another language. What an opportunity for them!

Posted January 26, 2015
My two children are thriving at Yinghua, and I'm grateful every day for the this outstanding school. Yinghua teachers are caring, dedicated, positive role models who understand how to bring classroom content alive for students in a language immersion setting. My eighth grader can't quite imagine what it will be like not to be a Yinghua student next year, but I know he is well prepared for high school, and I thank Yinghua for this. The school board, administrators, teachers and staff have built a remarkable school. Go Dragons!

Yinghua Academy 1

Posted January 19, 2015
Our children had been at Yinghua for four years. We pulled them out due to an out-of-touch, bullying director, and an equally shaming "Dean of Students," who has no educational license or background. The school is a sad place with stressed out kids, constant standardized tests, and unfortunate separation between administration and teachers. Since leaving, our children are happier and learning more in their new school.

Posted October 09, 2014
My daughter is in first grade and really enjoys the school and learning Chinese- she can already speak quite fluidly at the beginning of first grade and knows hundreds of characters. We really like the Singapore math as well. Some other reviewers noted the high staff turnover, fortunately that did not happen this school year & my daughter's first grade teacher has many years of teaching experience. I am happy that she and some of her peers are being offered more challenging math homework this year. The school requires a commitment from families. Starting in first grade students have homework every night. Currently my daughter spends about 10 minutes each night on this homework. Students must also complete the on-line reading program, Lexia, 30 minutes 3 x per week. We are excited the number of students admitted to the school in kindergarten has increased. This gives the kids more peers. In addition, the school allowed admission of students beyond 1st this year. They are given extra tutoring in Chinese to catch up. The school is growing fast- this year 665 students K-8. School digger ranks the school in the top 3% statewide based on test scores in math and ENGLISH.

1616 Buchanan Street N.E. , Minneapolis, MN  55413
Last modified Yinghua Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Yinghua Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top