Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Everyone is bullied constantly and people sit and watch.

Supports LD students: Neutral

My child with special needs was no scoped by the teachers.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The teachers were so darn unintegritable it made me sick.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Everyone is so diddly darn mean there.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Sometimes they point and laugh at him while he eats his cereal bar.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Because its too difficult for my child to do in jail.

My kids go there they been bully everyday I spoke to their teachers nothing it's been done

They turn a blind eye to the rampant bullying that happens in the school. My children have been attacked, tormented to the point of needing therapy, and ultimately removed from the school because they refuse to do anything about it. When I removed my children who were in 5th and 6th grade they needed testing because they were struggling in their new school. It turns out they were barely testing in at a 1st and kindergarten levels for reading and math. The office staff and administration in the building were incredibly rude and I felt like I was treated subhuman because I was a single parent that needed to work for a living. If you can avoid this school do so. I would hate to see another child suffer because of their negligence and incompetence.

My kids love going to school at Gatewood. The teachers and staff are great and I feel very good about sending my kids everyday.

It used to be 'Great', particularly in the mid-nineties. One reviewer wrote "Having had two children attend in previous years and witnessed the decline in support, I've decided to move my child to a nearby district that has much smaller class size and higher academic outcomes. I wish Gatewood all the best but must do what is best for my child." Copying it saved me the effort of writing it out, it echos our family experience. After the Hopkins 'budget/execution issue', the reduction and elimination of secondary classroom support staff in the lower grades, the elimination of advanced and elective programs, the exodus of students beginning with even Gatewood Teachers' own children, the influx of WMEP transfers to fill in, the achievement gap was narrowed in part by lowering the top students. Advanced students needing additional work were forced/allowed to tutor the lowest students. That is a nice experience for all students involved, but not a substitute for eliminated programs. In our last few years there my youngest children were subjected to stolen lunches, items stolen from desks, and even reverse-racism. When these issues were raised staff protected the WMEP's involved. It's a good thing there are other good school's close by, that also had a variety of student backgrounds, but no such/significant behavioral issues. I had hoped it was improved in the last few years. But today we heard more uncomfortable stories from a current parent.

Last modified Gatewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.