L.H. Tanglen Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 460 students

We have a strong tradition of meeting the needs of each and every student.

School Official Point of View

Posted July 19, 2013

My name is Jim Hebeisen, and I am the new principal of Tanglen Elementary School as of July, 2013. Please watch for exciting new opportunities for parents and students as I work with the staff and PTO to create an incredible learning environment for our students.

Posted May 13, 2014

I couldn't be happier with my our experience so far at Tanglen Elementary. The teachers care about my son, spend extra time with him, and model professionalism and excellence every day. My son has excelled in math and reading this year, and has developed strong social skills with his peers. The principal and leadership in the building has been exemplary. There is a clear vision for the school and I couldn't be happier with the direction it is going.

Posted May 12, 2014

This is my 7th year as a parent at Tanglen (K,3 & 6).I have always been amazed at the overwhelming support the teachers&staff have provided the students & parents at our school.With the addition of our new principal this year, Jim Hebeisen, it has been an even more positive experience.He is a genuinely nice guy, an excellent communicator, and has brought about such a cohesive change to our school.I have heard so much positive feedback from the staff regarding his leadership skills.We also have a very active PTO that has been instrumental with fundraising efforts&planning community-building events that embrace&celebrate a diverse environment that is truly reflective of our global world.Technology is also a priority at Tanglen.Virtually all classrooms are equipped with Smartboards and all students have access to iPads and other devices.This summer, Tanglen will undergo some long overdue construction with a brand new kitchen, cafeteria, gym and HVAC system.I look forward to 6 more years as a Tanglen parent as it continues to grow and excel in the great Hopkins ISD!

Posted October 28, 2013

We r new to this area, My daughter has started 2nd grade here this year. she is enjoying her school and happy with her teacher. We are getting familiar with the school atmosphere ...expecting positivity and creativeness! As a Parent I expect common etiquettes,manners and morals should be taught in school. Office staff is very cooperative! New Principal is looking active and friendly.

Posted October 16, 2013

New to the area, we chose Hopkins schools based on US News & World Report rankings. We have been really pleased with our choice; the level of academics is high, the synergy between teachers in the elementary school (Tanglen) is strong, and the entire Hopkins school community has been welcoming and supportive. And for anyone who may have concerns along such lines, the high diversity in Hopkins has NOT lowered academic standards but instead adds depth and richness to our childrens' educational experience. I do wish class sizes were smaller but that is a larger problem than with just this district. Despite that, this district is doing a super job of educating kids--go Hopkins!

Posted September 7, 2013

Tanglen Elementary is a great school! We have been a part of the school's community for five years with two kids attending there. Tanglen has fantastic teachers, a great student body and strong community feeling. The teachers are so positive, dedicated and innovative. The families are committed to the school and its success. Class sizes have been very good (around 23-24 kids in 2nd-3rd). The Challenge (G/T) program is a real strength of the school. The new Pre-K program (Stepping Stones) is outstanding! And the new principal seems terrific -- energetic and positive. Our kids love it there and my husband and I couldn't be happier.

Posted July 23, 2013

I'm the biased PTO president, but could not be more proud of Tanglen's teachers, staff, students and families. We've worked hard to serve our increasingly diverse student population and their families, and it's totally paying off. We had 650 people at our spring Block Party! There's new energy, and a great sense of community. My daughters have thrived at Tanglen. My husband and I pat ourselves on the back for sending them to a school they love AND that is preparing them to succeed in a 21st century workplace/global economy. We moved here specifically for Tanglen from south Minneapolis: my husband needed us to live closer to his teaching job in EP, and had observed at statewide professional development workshops that Tanglen teachers often led them! This is not Beaver Cleaver's suburban school--it's way, WAY more interesting and fun. I just met the new principal, Jim Hebeisen, who invites current and 'shopping' families to stop by anytime this summer. He could not be more energetic and positive. If your idea of a fantastic education includes cultural--as well as academic--competence, you'll feel right at home at Tanglen.

Posted July 23, 2013

Very friendly staff, they know every kid and pay a lot of individual attention to each child and family. This school has a well thought out culture of respect and positive reinforcement for students. They are told what to expect and encouraged to be and do their best!

Posted July 22, 2013

This school has been outstanding for us! We've been a part of the school body for 4 years and currently have 2 children attending. Both our students are thriving and are part of the outstanding gifted & talented program Tanglen offers. The teachers are terrific, dedicated, and have been great to partner with. The Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) is active and has outstanding teacher & parent involvement in enrichment, technology and community building endevours. This past year, between the Cultural Night and Block Party ... the community pride was evident! Looking ahead at the upcoming school year with the building remodel and new principal, Tanglen is sure to continue the tradition of excellence our family has come to expect.

Posted July 22, 2013

My child loves this school. This is a diverse atmosphere with many different cultures. The teachers are great, going above and beyond their duties. Parents are involved and friendly. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted July 20, 2013

An amazing, diverse community public school with seasoned teachers and a new, enthusiastic principal. We have been Tanglen parents since 2005 and wouldn't think of sending them anywhere else. The future is bright at Tanglen!!

Posted July 19, 2013

I have a 3rd grader at Tanglen. Our experience at the school has been beyond outstanding. She is thriving and a very happy girl. The teachers are top notch. When she started at Tanglen her scores were low and now she is now in the 98th percentile and reading many grades above her level. They make learning so fun for her. We have even compared homework with her friend who is open enrolled at Groveland. The math homework assignments were identical and Tanglen was even ahead of her friends.

Posted September 11, 2012

I have a 3rd grader and my 4th grader. Both of my children started at Tanglen and we (all) have been very happy. The teachers have been very solid with a curriculum that provides a good, clearly structured learning and social frame work. The Moodles site is extremely useful, chalk full of parent resources and tools that allow help at home and full transparency. The building (while a bit older) is very safe with secure protocol in place and enforced by responsible staff. The playground is brand new as of 2012. There is Challenge, Math and Reading programs for Gifted students as well as additional help for those in need. My children have never complained of bullying and there are consequences for disruptive ones in class. There are many, wonderful involved parents and volunteers who know it takes a village. Lastly there is a respect for all cultures and religious backgrounds. Your child need not worry about feeling out of place no matter your culture or religious. I know some long for the social fabric of USA circa 1960. I respect that but none the less Tanglen has been a great school for my kids.

Posted May 2, 2011

I have a 3rd grader and 1st grader here @ Tanglen. My 3rd grader has attended Tanglen since 1st grade. This school has several issues, here are a few. *Bad behavior with no consequences. *Lack of communication!!! *Class sizes are huge, almost 30 kids per class. *No LRTs (Learning Resource Teachers). *No authority/leadership. *Depressing environment, building and playground are outdated. *Bullying rules @ this school, kids run the show. *Teacher morale is low, they are overworked and not supported by admins. *Overall culture of disrespect between staff, students, parent's. *Not enough options for gifted and talented students. *Recess is like a war zone/free for all/etc. *No cultural/holiday/birthday celebrations allowed :( Don't send your child here, their education will suffer. This has got to be one of the worst schools in the Hopkins School District.

Posted May 12, 2010

My children have had a great experience with this school. The teachers are warm and welcoming. The parents are very involved. The principal is excellent, as she initiates solutions and maneuvers well within the political confines that some parents create. The staff and student body is very diverse, which brings on a whole new layer of education and learning for the children. I can't begin to say enough wonderful things about the school.

Posted September 18, 2009

My kids went here a few years ago. The children at this school spent far too much time doing busy-work from workbooks, and later in the year, test prep packets. Reading was taught entirely from the textbook, no extra literature circles, etc. The discipline system was punitive, rather than rewarding positive behavior. Art lessons in the lower grades involved making a project that looked exactly the same as everyone else's. This school did not meet the needs of my creative, 'think outside the box' children.

Posted June 16, 2009

My daughter just finished 3rd grade and I really like this school. The teachers are great. They treat every student the same no matter what your race or income is. Every year my daughter has loved going to school. I am very pleased with the school

Posted July 1, 2008

Great teachers, totally overworked with the large class sizes, but some of the best teachers I know. Need a new principal, she doesn't deal with anything, doesn't know the kids names, doesn't know the parents and is totally unapproachable, if it wasn't for the great teachers and the parent involvement, we would be gone!

Posted June 2, 2008

My son just completed grade 1. Both in K and 1st grade, I was concerned about class size, but each year what started as a class of 29-30 ended up at 26. With all the break-out sessions the classes do, the group sizes are smaller for the essential core subjects. I'm overall very pleased with Tanglen - parents are very involved and there are a lot of opportunities to participate in your child's classroom if you wish.

Posted September 9, 2007

My son is currently enrolled in Kindergarten at Tanglen. Unforunately, there are 29 children in his class, as well as the first grade class above him. There is one assistant teacher in the class for half of the day to help out. We are outraged at the class size and feel there's no way our child can get the attention here.

Posted September 7, 2007

My daughter is currently in first grade here and she also attended Kindergarten at Tanglen. My husband and I are both incredibly impressed with the staff and enviroment. This school also has a high level of parent involvement.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2010.

77 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

69 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II (MCA-II) to test students in math in grade 11. The MCA-II is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2010.

68 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2012.

81 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2010.

65 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 46% in 2011.

87 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2010.

87 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

86 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students74%
Students without disabilities80%
Proficient in English76%
Not migrant74%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Minnesota Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data is not reported for that group.

All Students67%

Not economically disadvantaged81%
Proficient in English74%
Not migrant69%

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-III (MCA-III) to test in math in grades 3 through 8 in reading in grades 3 through 8 and 10 and in science for grades 5 and 8, and once in high school. The MCA-III is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students66%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 42%N/A37%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Bronze Award in the Healthier US School Challenge (2013)
  • U of M Human RIghts Award for Addressing the Achievement Gap (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Television/Radio News

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:55 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Jim Hebeisen
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (952) 988-4871

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Reggio Emilia
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Television/Radio News

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom