Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I was a substitute often at Ellen Hopkins and I never really felt welcomed by the students nor by the other teachers, especially the secretaries who where supposed to be the ones that welcomed you into the school. They were probably what made my experience the worst there as they would yell at me for making mistake in areas I was never trained. Ellen Hopkins does offer a Spanish Immersion program which sounds like a wonderful idea but it is not well designed. They give students to option to speak Spanish so their speaking abilities end up being really low. Even after studying just four years of high school Spanish for less than an hour a day, my speaking abilities where way beyond theirs. There aren't many programs available for students in the middle school or high school to expand their Spanish learning so a lot of the students tend to loose their Spanish abilities completely and leave them behind in their English abilities. Overall I think Ellen Hopkins really misses the mark on what education should be and needs to analyze where they should make improvements to their school before bragging how great of school they are. Honestly I had much better experience with the Fargo schools than the Moorhead schools in general.

Ellen Hopkins has teachers, staff and a principal that care about the students. The parent support is key to making this a great learning environment for our kids. We have had several teachers through the years and have yet to encounter one we haven't loved. That is not to say there haven't been bumps in the road, but we have always felt that our concerns were listened to and considered. They have a musical production every year for kids interested in the arts. There are/have been great programs for advanced math(5th grade), discovery program(for students needing that little extra challenge), and junior great books/book club. A strong and active PTAC makes it easy for parents to be involved in their child's education. We may not have the newest building in Moorhead, but it's what is inside our school that makes it a great school.

I love the fact spanish immersion is offered to our children. I feel it will benefit them greatly now and in the future to speak, read, and write in two laguages. I hae received great feedback when I tell people my child is enrolled in the program. Many parents wish the program was offered at all schools. The only complaint I have is the transportation. Since we decided to send our child out of our 'zone' we do not have the bus option, but our childs education was more important to us.

Last modified Ellen Hopkins Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.