Bad
Good

Posted December 27, 2013
Pelican Rapids Secondary is a school with a dedicated staff. It has a diverse population of students which helps our kids to learn to live in a diverse world. Teacher have overcome many challenges created by our changing population. My children are receiving an A+ education from these committed staff members as they score in the 'Exceed' category of the state MCA tests and high scores on the ACT Plan and ACT tests.

Posted May 20, 2010
This school continues to offer quality education in the face of multiple tax cuts, failed referendums and a chnaging community, multiple languages are spoken in this school in a town of around 2000. Because a large portion of it's tax base is outside lake home owners, thier impact on the votes has put this community at risk of loosing thier school,

Pelican Rapids Secondary 1

Posted October 02, 2008
My experiences with this school system was less then positive. So much so that we made the daily trip to a Fergus Falls private school. There are just a few good teachers but they are out numbers by the ones who care only about what the union can get for them every year. Most seem very unhappy and act as if they are doing you a favor by being there. God forbid you should have a disagreement with any of them. I think if your non white or an illegal then this would be the school of choice for your child. If you enjoy listening to school board members and staff talk down parents and students that they don't like then this is a perfect place for you and your whole family. Do just what the school and businesses tell you to do and I'm sure you will love it.

Posted October 18, 2006
I am pleased with my thirteen year run at Pelican Rapids Schools. In addition to the very beneficial diversity factor, it has a good sense of community about it. I feel like I was well prepared to move on into a college setting; however, I don't feel like I have been given an edge over students from other schools. Many college students are entering college with a great deal of college credits which they have gotten from a variety of ways. Brad Strand has taken many steps towards college in the classroom options, such as the AP Calc test and college credit for the UofM Crookston. I've been informed that other teachers are taking steps to add this major benefit to Pelican Rapids High School. I feel that adding these college credit option would truly allow PRHS to turn out powerhouse students.

Posted October 18, 2006
Pelican Rapids is a wonderful school. We are so fortunate to have raised our children in such a diverse community. It really does prepare them for the 'outside' world. I remember moving to Pelican Rapids from the twin cities in 1979, there were students who had never saw an africian american person. The staff led by Glenn Moerke are the best, he runs a wonderful school system and is fair and strong. I am glad we have raised our kids here, and would do it all over again.

Posted October 12, 2006
As a former student of Pelican Rapids Schools from Kindergarten upward, I cannot emphasize how much Viking Elementary and PRHS prepared me for college life, and, more importantly, for the 'outside world.' The multiculturalism and diversity represented in Pelican Rapids is an advantage, not a drawback; Pelican Rapids and its schools teach residents and students to embrace, respect, and learn about the diversity surrounding us, better preparing us for a changing world.

Posted October 11, 2006
As a proud 2005 PRHS graduate, I view the diversity of the student body as a major positive influence in my life. I can't describe the impact it has had in my development as an accepting adult. The school district handles diversity very well, in my opinion. Learning to embrace change and create global ties is becoming more and more necessary in our modern world, and this is the mindset of Pelican Rapids' wonderful administrators. Each day at school included hearing several foreign languages and learning more and more about fascinating cultures as I became best friends with people from Mexico, Africa, and all over the globe. I miss the diversity of Pelican Rapids now that I am in college, and I look back on my years in Pelican with great pride and gratitude. The Pelican Rapids school system has shaped who I am today.

Pelican Rapids Secondary 1

Posted September 03, 2006
Pelican Rapids schools have very little to be happy about. We have too much 'diversity' here. The white kids are thought of second, as they cater to the needs of the 'diverse' section. At the present time my child is enrolled in a class that has only four other white children.

Posted January 29, 2006
Both of my children graduated from Pelican Rapids a few years back. They were challenged by their teachers, and the teachers knew how to get the best from them academically. Both of them are now in graduate programs and the study skills they learned while in high school have served them well on their journey. Parents have every opportunity to be involved, but many times choose not to be. The fact that Pelican is multi racial is something that Pelican can be proud of. When students are exposed to different cultures, it only them helps to succeed in the world 'out there'. I feel blessed that my kids were able to experience the Pelican Rapids schools.

Posted January 28, 2006
I also graduated from Pelican Rapids high school and found the ethnic diversity beneficial to my college education. Many individuals do not have the opportunity to experience a community such as Pelican Rapids and in return are not as accepting of the diversity which surrounds our society. Racism is a major issue today, by integrating ethnicities in the classroom, we are all learning how to interact and work with each other to provide a better society. For my college education I am currently required to take a multicultural class and have found to be farther along the in the development of my cultural sensitivity. I am presently working toward a major as a health care provider and have learned the importance cultural sensitivity when providing health services. To the graduate who thought PRHS did not provided them with a quality education, check this out: http://www.embracediverseschools.com/release.htm

Pelican Rapids Secondary
310 South Broadway, Pelican Rapids, MN  56572
Last modified Pelican Rapids Secondary is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pelican Rapids Secondary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top