No rating

Providence Academy

Private | PK-12 | 850 students

We are best known for strong academics, faith, and character development.

Living in Plymouth

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $300,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,080.

Posted November 4, 2014

Our family has been at Providence for 10 years. It has truly been the best 10 years! My children don't have a "favorite" teacher because they tell us that they have all been their "favorite". The knowledge, support, compassion and skills of the teachers is top-notch. The curriculum is challenging, in-depth and captivating. Whether it's creative projects, debates or dissections, the students are engaged, excited and knowledgeable in the subject matter. Parents at PA are involved. There's no other way to say it. They support their child, the mission of the school and each other. It is family here. The extracurricular options are countless. There are many Arts and Sports options, volunteer and community service options, and academic clubs. The students here are polite and respectful-that was one of the first things I ever noticed at PA. They are fun, inclusive and enjoy what their school offers. Providence Academy is a blessing to my children and myself. It is a relief to drop my children off each day knowing they are getting the best education, by the best teachers with amazing peers in a faith-filled environment.

Posted April 17, 2014

I love the elementary school. The teachers are loving, and kids are happy. There is no tolerance for bullying. Academically the school does a excellent job.

Posted May 30, 2013

We currently have two lower school children that attend Providence. We looked at several private, parochial and public schools before choosing PA for our kids. We are a non-Catholic family of two working parents and both must work to afford school here. Every year when the tuition bill comes, we discuss if it still makes sense, as this is definitely a sacrifice. We periodically tour other schools and every time, we are pleasantly reminded that PA is indeed worth the sacrifice. The school community works hard to teach our kids how to be good, well rounded human beings through a challenging curriculum, small class sizes, high caliber teachers, a focus on virtues, a faith foundation, etc. Yes it's strict, but I have not felt that the strictness has in any way taken away from my children's spirit or personality. I feel like the strictness is probably what used to be normal in schools, but sadly many have gotten away from. I m okay with my kids learning to walk quietly in halls, learning how to greet parents, respecting their desk space (keeping it clean), etc. PA feels to us like an extension of what we teach (or want to teach) at home. And our kids love it ;)

Posted March 25, 2013

PA has been a fantastic school for our child. It has both the strong academics and faith formation components we were looking for in a school. We visited many other public and private schools prior to making a decision, and while Providence was not the closest in proximity to our home, it has not disappointed on any level. The teachers are extremely helpful and caring. Our son felt very welcomed as a new student last year and made friends quickly. Not only has he learned a great deal in the classroom, but we have also observed an increased interest in his spirituality and an improved work ethic as well. Our adolescent child is emerging into a young man of integrity, and we are so grateful to Providence Academy for maintaining expectations of behavior and study which support our Christian values. Our teenager actually looks forward to attending school each day. What a gift this school has been to him and to our entire family. I know he will be reaping the benefits of this education for years to come.

Posted February 4, 2013

As a graduate, I still greatly value my PA education, and the lasting bonds and connections that have been formed. There has been a lot of criticism about the lack of financial aid, which is a mixed bag. The school offers so, so much to its students that while high, the price tag is not unreasonable. This does set it apart, however, from other Catholic school options whose modes are affordability for as many people as possible! Take it or leave it. This does help explain some of the complaints about "brand names" etc... which are legitimate, but I think it comes with the territory. Yes, children do notice the difference between $25.00 and $150.00 mary jane shoes! :) I noticed it while I was there, but survived just fine. Nobody ostracized me because I didn't wear Uggs. All in all, the education is phenomenal, they teach the Truth and don't apologize, and students go on to do great things (they are a college-prep school through and through). While I do think there are other great options if you are looking for an affordable Catholic school, PA is a great opportunity if you can afford it! I wouldn't change it for anything.

Posted March 14, 2012

Not a school that is holy at all - will pull my child out soon. Very capitalistic and for those that want a school for "show". There are other Catholic schools that welcome new or returning students with open arms, and other schools that are just as good, if not better, academically. Also schools that offer those who are not wealthy an opportunity for their children to attend, regardless of their economic backgrounds. Very disappointing to say the least. Teachers (with the exception of one outstanding one!) are just so-so, not a school worth $13,000-$15,000 a year AT ALL. Save your money for college! We are sorry we wasted so much money there.

Posted September 23, 2011

I can't say enough good things about Providence Academy. Our children have been there for nine years and they love it. I'm proud that the school strives to raise the next generation of leaders and doesn't apologize for demanding individual responsibility from it's students.

Posted December 7, 2010

My daughter loves Providence Academy. The uniforms are nice and don't distract the students during the day. Kids are kids anywhere but I believe Providence really takes their mission to educate our kids seriously. My daughter is the reason why she's going there - she wanted to be around other kids who were interested in learning. Cliques are every. People are people. We've found PA to be a very supportive, caring environment.

Posted March 13, 2010

PA is neither cliquey nor snotty, nor are the girls permitted to wear high heels. All students wear a school uniform so there are no brand name issues either - some people should get their facts straight! The faculty and parents/students share a very warm and welcoming environment based on the Catholic faith.Students hug each other,hold doors open for teachers/parents and are polite. PA works on a challenging curriculum and not all kids /or parents can keep up the pace. Our 2 kids are very happy here and we have made some genuine friends here,so PA is a great match for us.

Posted March 3, 2010

After six years at this school, my son has ASKED to leave. This is the only school he has ever known, but it has changed so much in the last six years that he is no longer happy and wants to move on. My daughter that has been there for four years - exact same opinion. Her classmates are mean, and while some of the teachers first class there are some that are absolutely awful yet remain there year after year despite parent complaints and objections. The administration does not care to hear the complaints that parents have as they are convinced they know it all, and are so perfect they couldn't possibly be doing anything wrong. While we have the money to continue at this school, and our kid's grades are great, we will take them to a more positive environment next year!

Posted January 8, 2010

If you are looking for a great education and great teachers come here. If you are looking for friends... maybe not so much. Let's face it: you have to be rich to attend Providence. There is not an alumni demographic because it is so new so there are not great scholarships. I learned to love my faith and care about learning and push myself to the limit, but I left because of my snotty classmates. It is so cliquey; girls come to school in high heels and curled hair everyday, everyone wears name brands and are judged for it, and it wears on you. I want to go to a school where I meet all types of students that care about eachother and really bond. But I never felt a connection with many of my classmates. There are some great kids there, but honestly, not enough to keep me.

Posted October 27, 2009

I go to PA and I must say that the academics are very good and very challenging. The teachers here are some of the best that I have ever had. They are mostly why I keep going here. The teachers really do care about you and help you when you need it. The social life here is a bit hard unless you have all A's. NHS is a big deal here and only the smart kids are allowed into this exclusive club. It is very good for people with excellent grades to be rewarded but there is an over emphasis on this. Our motto is faith, virtue, and knowledge but the main focus here is knowledge and getting into a prestigious college. This school is the most cliquey school that I have ever been to and I have gone to four different high schools. The students keep to themselves.

Posted August 8, 2009

I am a graduate of 2009, and I am only now realizing what a great thing this magnificent school gave me. Not only is it a great facility as far as the aesthetics go, but there is an inescapable air of catholicism behind everything. And this is the intellectual, deep sort of catholicism that you rarely find in America these days. I will always keep faith, knowledge, and virtue with me.

Posted May 11, 2009

My kids love it and feel pride in themselves and their school. It is worth every penny of tuition and so much more!

Posted April 5, 2009

I have two children (6th and 4th grade) in the school and could not be happier. We did not move them until they were passed 3rd grade in the public schools. My children are pushed to excel - where as in the public schools it was OK for them to be in the 'middle'. It is conservative and it has rules. Like any instituition, you as a parent have to guide your children. Personally, I like the fact that the school has rules and will make sure that there are consequences. If you look to find out where the recent graduates are going to college, you will be impressed with the results.

Posted March 24, 2009

For the money we pay, I expected better personal attention to the learning style of my children. They are good students who have lost their desire to learn because of the cold, 'intellectual' view of a few ex-college professors now teaching at PA. I expected more.

Posted January 15, 2009

What an outstanding school. We have three children attending PA and are consistently delighted with the school's innovative and top notch teaching, its peaceful atmosphere and the love of learning that pervades everything in the school. PA has been a tremendous gift to our family - we highly recommend it.

Posted December 3, 2008

Providence is hands down the best Catholic high school in the state of Minnesota. I would never want to go anywhere else.

Posted July 23, 2008

As an alumna of Providence Academy entering my second year of college, I could not imagine being better prepared for adulthood. The standards were high but never unattainable. The discipline was strict but served out of love and concern for the betterment of each individual student. I also found the quality of the faculty to be exceptional, for example a pre-k teacher with a PhD in early childhood development, or an Upper School History teacher who left a post at Boston College to come to Providence. It is clearly the mission of the school to help each student grow to their potential in Faith, Knowledge, and Virtue as expressed by the school motto. I hope to be able to one day send my children to PA so they might be able to grow in these aspects and receive the same positive experience I gained in my four years at this school.

Posted July 18, 2008

I am a grandparent and have watched my grandchild as he attended Providence Academy over the last three years. I can see why people send their children to Providence Academy. I attended Grandparents' Day and the enthusiasm of the children is fantastic. My grandson is growing more confident, more socially mature, more organized and is turning into a young man of whom i am very proud. No one was more surprised than he was when he made the Honor Roll. I think the expectations are high at Providence and the students strive to reach that goal. It is my feeling that if you expect nothing of a child, that is exactly what you will get. I am very pleased that my grandson is able to be a part of Providence and all that it entails.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 00% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 98% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of St.Thomas
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Tutor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Nurse(s)
Computer specialist(s)
College counselor(s)
Behavioral health specialist
Art teacher(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
French
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Catholic High School Honor Roll - Top 50 (2014)
  • National Catholic High School Honor Roll - Top 50 (2013)
  • National Catholic High School Honor Roll - Top 50 (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Todd Flanders, Ph. D.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Catholic Independent
Fax number
  • (763) 258-2501

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep

• Science
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis

Media arts
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
University of St.Thomas
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
Summer college prep programs
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013