No rating

Academy of Holy Angels

Private | 9-12 | 764 students

Living in Richfield

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $154,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Sweep tile

Posted December 11, 2013

When I read angry reviews I wonder if those people are ever happy. I have had 2 daughters graduate and have another who is a junior. My girls have 3 completely different personalities and all enjoyed their time at Holy Angels. All three made friends outside their "cliques" of their elementary school, you just have to get involved and meet some new people. Their is a large emphasis on extra curricular activities and actually over 90% of students are involved in something. I think that is a good thing. My first two were fervent about soccer but my third has done everything from ping pong to LaCrosse, to joining Math Club. Their is a great emphasis on academics as well. All of my girls scored very high on ACT's so they must be teaching something right. My two college age students were properly prepared for college and received excellent academic based scholarships. I do think laptops are heavy, there needs to be some improvement where you either leave the books or the laptop at home not haul both around. The lap tops need to be lighter as well. All 3 of my kids thanked me at random during there four years for sending them to AHA. I think that says a lot!!

Posted September 26, 2013

My daughter is a freshman this year. As we were looking for a school last year, we looked for somewhere that had strong academics, give her a opportunity to participate in sports and most of all somewhere that would have a culture that speaks to the students, asking them to be inclusive and do on to others as you would have them do to you. At the start of the information gathering process, AHA began to separate it self from the other schools, they spent time understanding my daughter, where she was Academically and how they could take her so she would be ready for AP classes by senior year, so she was set to be competitive when she wants to go to college. Beyond that she was playing Hockey and tennis, getting to know the other students over the summer. By the time school started, she had many good friends, and that has only continued. The fall football games, the social for the students, all seek to get the students together and have some fun. She has had allot of homework, but she is getting it done and the teachers are available if she has questions. I have been very impressed with how much everyone at AHA cares about my daughter and how she is doing. THANK YOU AHA!!

Posted August 6, 2013

Holy Angels has been a disappointment. It is a slacker school. The academics are poor and admissions misplace people in the wrong classes.At an open house they were all happy like "welcome to holy angels", when during a school day it is really like a prison ran by the populars. The teachers can not control the students either. As for the students they are mostly city kids who act like they own the show. If you drink and do drugs this is a great school for you. You will make friends easily if you have horrible values. Project laptop is a scam and the student also throws their back out from carrying the computer in the backpack. Teachers also don't care and do not enjoy what they are doing. So many kids cheat in class and the sad part is that the teachers do not even stop it. Many kids come from feeder schools in Eagan and Savage. These clicks stay the same. They make up 75% of the student body. Sports are average. Theater is average. I just can't believe I wasted two of my precious years there before transferring. Also it is inner city and has an urban environment so you here sirens every week. People who think they are "all that" go to AHA. Please don't waste your money here.

Posted July 10, 2012

True, you get out what you put into it BUT as a parent you must understand there s still politics going on, private catholic school or not. There s St. John s, the feeder school sending a significant numbers to AHA, don t be na ve to believe there isn t favoritism/preference given to those students! i.e. coaches kids are captains of teams whether or not they re leaders or barely average players. For a school with all the religion/social moral type classes, why all the video cameras in the halls? Reason; calculators go missing, lockers broken into, car keys stolen, cars broken into and the dean of students has an deal with Richfield Police, (this is totally whack!) where if the stolen item is returned, the perp goes free, a get out of jail free card! Don t believe for a second that President J. Reilly wasn t aware of this. IMHO, it s best that she is gone!! Re: academics, DeLaSalle sends kids to the Ivies, Breck, Blake, SPA, Edina too but not AHA. Top colleges must not like this school! Outstanding Theatre program, love the band instructor, terrible terrible top Math classes and no science enrichment going on. Open enroll ur student at a public school or home school!

Posted April 20, 2012

Academy of Holy Angels has an absolutely beautiful building and is filled with rich history. However, there academics are not what I expected and I feel that all they care about is sports and money. The teachers do not have any control over their students whatsoever. In fact, yesterday in one of the classes the substitute that was hired allowed the students to flip their desks over and use them as imaginary boats while the rest of the students hollered and lounged around. The environment of the students is awful. Majority of them are conceited and unfriendly. The social life is just awful and I do not enjoy it here. The only things I comment on is the buliding itself, the history, and the arts department. I do mean to offend anyone, but this is my opinion. I do not reccomend this academy at all.

Posted August 31, 2011

Holy Angels is the BEST investment you will ever make for your child.Our son attended public school k-8,was a quiet well behaved middle to low student who struggled in certain academic areas.He has blossomed at AHA. The class sizes are low, the teachers are happy, the administrators are welcome to feedback and the entire school is nurturing. The first day of 9th grade my son got in the car and thanked me for sending him there.There are payment plans,financial assistance-do not think it is unaffordable. We never thought we would send him to private and now he is a senior-he also remarked his friends he left behind at public hs have told him they hate it and hope the year flies by. He said "how sad is that" Go Stars!

Posted May 12, 2011

I am a former student. I attended during the 90's. The academics when I attended were excellent, as I am sure they are now. If your child needs to be challenged, and you can afford their tuition, I recommend it highly. It's also a wonderful school for any child who is interested in theatrical arts. They teach everything from basic acting, to very advanced theatrical method method and design. Politics is where my rating goes down. My experience was if you came from a well off family or excelled at sports you were given preferential treatment. I still support the school, as a whole, to those students who will thrive within their system and benefit from the areas which they excel. If tuition will be a challenge, I suggest you make the best you can with public schools and reach out for advanced classed and outside extracurricular activities.

Posted August 26, 2010

Holy Angels not only has great academics, but are on the rise in sports, and have a great group of well rounded students.

Posted February 4, 2010

I disagree with the above reviews stating that a kid has to be in sports to be noticed. A kid is noticed by excelling in what they do; whether it is academics, sports, service or whatever. The key to success to to get involved and to get results. We love AHA and believe that the education is second to none!

Posted October 7, 2009

AHA could be a great school - but it's all about money and sports. If your kids isn't into sports, that's not seen very well. We removed our 2 kids during the school year. Also the $3000 laptop we have to lease from the school is a real scam.

Posted January 9, 2009

This is a horrible school based all around hockey and if you don't participate in sports teachers and staff act like you don't exist

Posted February 21, 2008

I absolutely love aha. Ive met amazing friends, teachers and people by going here and its new laptop program is great!

Posted January 19, 2008

Other schools provide great learning opportunities for kids, but the kids could have an amazing learning experience at AHA and not just be ready for college but know God also!

Posted January 5, 2008

This is the best school I have ever seen. And I have seen quite a few of them when looking for the one that would suit me best. Well, AHA is the best, without a doubt.

Posted October 24, 2004

I thank God that there is a school such as AHA in the world today! I feel truly blessed that my children can attend this great institution. From the minute you walk into the building, you realize a certain 'standard'. Teachers and staff are unbelivable. So involved! Having my kids at public school earlier in life, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the education and strong values that my children have received from attending AHA. Their expeiences at this school will guide them for life. Thank you AHA!

Posted March 28, 2004

AHA- is a terrific school. Great culture and school spirit, with a values based educational environment. Nice diversity in the student population (often lacking at private schools). Great academics (about 50% OF all students are on either the B or A honor roll, it's 'cool' to get good grades at AHA. School activities have good breadth and depth. Award winning Theatre program, really strong sports program. Lots of opportunities for student involvement,Campus Ministry team is particularily noteworthy. Strong Leadership from President Principal and Board. Parent and donor involvement is good. Upgrades to the physical structure(sports dome,commons area, convocation center,new gym,all new energy efficient windows, landscaping-A beautiful old building with well thought out upgrades-it looks like a small liberal arts college.

Posted August 25, 2003

Fantastic academics! They actually teach kids about the US Constitution, God, real math, and how the leftist assault on our culture is systematically destroying the fiber of this country. In this school, kids must do more then just show up for class in order to pass. The grading standards are such that children actually have to study hard and take tests that measure their grasp of the subject matter. They are doing some things in 10th grade that I didn't see until I was in college.

Asian 4% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• ABS
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (612) 798-2610

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis