Saint Paul, MN

Posted May 03, 2012
My son is in Kindergarten Mandarin Immersion with BI and STEM (focus in science, Technology, Engineer, and Math) yes, and is only Kindergarten, The teachers are excellent great communications skills, compassion, caring but more then anything all the children are special to them. The kids has leaned so much and the year is not ended yet. They are advanced in math for first graders, reading and speaking Mandarin already. Strong principal leadership, discipline is excellent. I give a 5 starts and I highly recommend this school and mandarin program to all the parents who are looking for excellency academic and discipline

Posted May 03, 2012
My daughter is a kindergartner at Benjamin E. Mays in the Mandarin Immersion program, and I can't say enough good things about her experience. Our expectations have been exceeded. Not only are she and her classmates acquiring Mandarin language skills amazingly fast, but they are using their new language to learn math that's far more advanced than any other kindergarten classes I know of. And thanks to the awesome teaching staff, she loves being at school. There's more: music, physical education, and computer classes; great nutrition services (district-wide free breakfast for every child, free fruit or veg snack for each child daily, and low-cost school lunch that always offers fresh vegetable and fruit); and free summer programming. A lot of people will be scared away by Ben Mays' test scores, but this is definitely a school where test scores don't tell the whole story. I urge parents who are interested in Mandarin immersion to take a tour. I think you will be impressed!

Benjamin E Mays Magnet 4

Posted July 05, 2009
This school was excellent for my child who started in kindergarten and stayed until 5th grade. He was gifted and talented but I decided to keep him in the school because they provide services for him. Great school.

Benjamin E Mays Magnet 0

Posted November 26, 2008
I am the parent of a fifth grader who has attended Benjamin E. Mays International Magnet school for the past three years. My daughter was also eligible for Capitol Hill, but I chose to keep her at Benjamin E. Mays because of the unique opportunities available to her and the quality of education she is receiving. They offer Spanish class, African drumming, Power Lunch for 1-3 graders, band/orchestra for 5-6 graders, Lego League, and they follow an IB PYP curriculum. Not to mention, the staff are dedicated and commited to helping kids succeed. I am very satisfied with the education my daughter is receiving at Benjamin E. Mays and would recommend the school to other parents considering enrolling in a St. Paul Public Magnet school.

Posted June 22, 2007
My friend recommended Mays to me when my son was entering Kindergarten and I am so happy she did! We have had only positive experiences for the last two years. The entire staff is genuinely concerned about providing a high quality environment for the students. My son qualified to apply to Capitol Hill for the 2007-08 year, but we decided to withdraw our application and continue enrollment at Mays. A huge thanks to everyone!!

Benjamin E Mays Magnet