Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Our family has had an overall positive experience at TCGIS. Even when issues have come up I felt that the administrations and teaching staff addressed them appropriately and in a timely manner. Not every teacher is great, but that's the same at any school. They all bring a different set of talents and overall our son has enjoyed all of them and learned from each. I don't understand some other parents' comments about "safety". Our son feels completely safe and has no problem telling his teacher or other staff if he has a problem. I am grateful for the low teacher to student ratio, the intern program and all of the great parents who are working hard to help our kiddos flourish. Just because things haven't stayed exactly as they were three years ago (what does?) doesn't mean that all the changes are bad. We love the school and we will stay.

My kids both go to TCGIS. They speak fluent German now and for the most part, have always loved school. I feel extremely lucky for them to go to this school. It is hard to understand all the complaints. Strong academics, hardworking dedicated kind teachers, positive learning environment. No school is perfect but TCGIS is about as good as it gets.

I am giving this school two stars only because I am extremely unhappy about the current administration. The culture of the school has dramatically changed in the past two years from a thriving community to a place of command, control and fear. Yes, fear!!! Teachers and other staff are afraid and have to work under rigid rules and uptight supervision. Children are treated disrespectfully, parents are kept out of the school with new policies. I could go on. This place has so much potential because of the amazing teachers, the wonderful office staff, the students and parent community. But the principal has to go!!!

The teachers are disrespectful of the students, as as former student I did not feel as if I could trust them to talk to, the principal is mean, overly strict and uptight, and you have no independence. If you are advanced in any subject stay away from this school as there are no options for advanced students.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Most of the good teachers that I've had have left the school because they did not like how it was run, so we are left with sucky ones.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Some teachers are great, some are not. But you'll get that at any school. There has some some teachers that many kids like, and some get made fun of on the playground.

I very much agree with the points submitted by a parent on 3/25. These points would not have existed 3 years ago. I encourage any family to ask a lot of questions and get a wide variety of perspectives. Look beyond the face value of information given at coordinated events like open houses and tours. Attend Board and committee meetings or watch the pod casts posted on the website. How are people with differing thoughts (on topics including the controversial second campus) treated? How vibrant is the PTO? How engaged (volunteering, donations, involvement in school gatherings) are families across the grades? Why did the teachers feel they needed to unionize? Do children feel safe and valued as kids around Administration? I smiled ruefully at the there will be a glowing review following mine because I see it happen on other ratings sites for the school's leadership. It begs the question why are the reviews so polarized? My kids are doing fine but we are considering leaving not something we thought possible when we signed on years ago.

Research carefully before you decide to join the school. It used to be student/community centered, it is all about high test scores and fundraising. Instruction time is heavily focused on prepping for the tests despite the denials from the leadership. Big ego at work to outdo Nova, Yinghua, etc. not to do right by our students! Some great teachers still here, most unionized - in charter school? WHY? Makes one question the leadership and working environment. Sharp decline in parent/volunteer involvement in response to less than welcoming or caring attitude from the leaders. Prospective parents should attend Board/school meetings and hear the prerogatives. I STRONGLY do not feel they have the students well-being at heart. We are morphing into an exclusive private school on public money. I have no doubts there will be a glowing review following mine. All about keeping appearances or getting on school Board? BTW, my kids do just fine and it's not the school that raises them as "global citizens"! Empty PR rhetoric, we hear a lot of that around here. Wish more parents would care or feel free to be openly vocal instead of complaining behind the closed door.

We really like the TCGI school. We have a child who has struggled with certain things and the school has worked on helping us meet her needs in an appropriate way. As in every school or corporation, there are better employees than others. We have been lucky to have had very good teachers who really want the children to learn. I would absolutely recommend this school to anyone who wants to raise their child with a second language and awareness about the global world we live in today.

My son comes home every day with new stories about the teachers yelling at the class. I wouldn't go so far as to call the learning environment there "abusive", but it's very disappointing to hear that the teachers yell angrily at a classroom full of small children to deal with problems. It's sad.

Last modified Twin Cities German Immersion Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.