No rating

St John The Baptist Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 638 students

Living in Savage

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $193,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Posted May 2, 2014

My son goes to school at St. John's and he loves it! The teachers and the principal are truly amazing. The academics are outstanding, the teaching of values and morals are important to us as parents and this school does an excellent job! I am so thankful to be a part of the St. John's family!

Posted March 22, 2014

One teacher can make all the difference - good or bad. In our case, it was the latter that prompted us to leave St. John's. It took several months in a new school for our child to recover from the emotion and psychological damage this one teacher had wrought while our child attended St. Johns. Thankfully, and for the sake of future students, this teacher has left the school, but not before having fooled a great number of people into believing that she was competent and skilled enough to work with young minds. As mentioned in a few previous posts, we also found a great deal of physical and emotional bullying among students, but there again, it starts with how a teacher manages the classroom and appropriately addresses the situation. It also matters greatly how a teacher treats the students, and in our case, we had a teacher who was abominable-towards both myself as a parent as well as towards my child. If you are looking for a truly caring and enriching learning environment for your child, a better choice, we have found, has been St. Michaels in Prior Lake. Great teachers and staff, and an overall warmer and more welcoming environment.

Posted June 19, 2013

St. John the Baptist Catholic School is an outstanding school with excellence in education as well as catholic faith and teaching skills to succeed in life. The teachers are kind and attentive to students needs. The school supports timely technology improvements with a rapidly changing IT world. My children are very happy at SJB and have many quality friends with good manners and morals, reinforced while they are at school. I highly recommend St. John the Baptist school for any student. I have also enjoyed many hours volunteering and I have gotten to know many children of all ages, as well as their parents. This has been a wonderful experience.

Posted June 17, 2013

St. John the Baptist Cathoic School is a fantastic place to send your children! Both of my kids went to school there and received an excellent education. They were well prepared for high school both academically and socially. They have a sound moral and spiritual foundation because of attending this wonderful school and parish.

Posted June 14, 2013

I love St. John's School! The Principal and teachers are amazing. The Principal is responsive, prompt and fair. The teachers are creative, caring but firm. They offer great guidance and education. We are so pleased with our children's experience and can't say enough about St. John's. Our kids are both athletes. We loved their coaches, especially volleyball and basketball. Their coaches took our children's teams to the next level. Great experience all around!

Posted June 14, 2013

This is a wonderful school. My daughter has attended since 2nd grade and will be in 7th grade this year. My daughter has been challenged in both academics and extra curriculum activities. Teachers at the school do their best to see students succeed. Also the school offers a variety of family oriented events. We love this school and more importantly my daughter loves this school.

Posted June 10, 2013

As a parent, I have had many opportunities to volunteer at St. John's over the years and have met so many caring, involved, and motivated parents along the way. I am often blown away by the parent's response to a need for volunteers and donations, and by the administration's willingness to provide so many great service opportunities for the kids. Volunteering and service are a big part of what makes St. John's a great school.

Posted May 23, 2013

I have to agree with others that the school seems to be very strong academically. However, if your student has to struggle with other problems at the school, they will not be able to focus on the academics anyway. I think the parents are ruining the school. They treat newcomers as outsiders. There are groups of mother's with apparently nothing else to do but meet and gossip and spread untrue rumors that are harmful in so many ways to a child--small children. Does this seem like an environment based on Catholic values? I think not. What a poor example to set for your own children. And of course, the school relies on volunteers. For our family as well as another we know, we have volunteered only to be turned down by other parents running the show who don't want to let others participate, and tell us we are not needed; I'm guessing the administration isn't even aware this is happening.

Posted March 7, 2013

We toured many different public and private schools south of the river to find a school for our two children. We decided on St. John's 3 years ago and are very happy with our decision. The teachers develop a one-on-one relationship with the children and ensure they are academically challenged. Our daughter struggled with reading and we were notified in Kindergarten almost at once that she would need help. The help is there! Not only are we happy from an academic standpoint, the values that are instilled at school are imperative even more today. We appreciate how compassionate our children have grown to become. They are not spared with the tragedies our world if facing today, but educated and advised on how to make it a better place with the support of God and a desire to learn. To comment on the note below, I volunteer at the school often and at no time have I seen or heard of any type of bullying.

Posted January 22, 2013

St. John s is such a welcoming community. I love knowing my children are in a respectful environment that focuses on values and encourages learning. I feel there is a genuine partnership between teachers and parents.

Posted June 20, 2012

St. John's is an excellent school - filled with great teachers and respectful students. Their tests score far exceed those of the other area schools. They offer my children a learning environment that focuses on learning. All the teachers work hand and hand with parents and the community of other parents is overwhelming.

Posted March 22, 2012

If you are looking for a great school in the Burnsville Savage area, look no further than St. John the Baptist!

Posted October 5, 2011

Everybody knows your name the school has the feel of a family the entire staff is looking out for the well being of our child both academically, as well as personally. I know if my child needs something one of them will be there to put a smile back on my child's face or help them to understand the lesson being taught to them. Then, of course, there is the academic excellence.

Posted September 10, 2011

We have two children currently enrolled and are beyond happy with our decision to send our children to St. John's. They have wonderful and caring teachers who work with parents - it truly is a partnership. My children are safe in an environment built for learning. They have new leadership that has a clear focus to have every child feel included and be successful. The students outstanding state test scores is proof of their academic excellence. The parent community can not beat!

Posted September 7, 2011

As a parent of a child who previously attended this school, I have to agree with the previous poster. There is a posturing of indifference and of non-acceptance for anything outside of the "norm", and this is true among both the students and the teachers at this school. If your child learns from rote memorization and adapts well to unquestioning religious theory while observing the contradictory behaviors and actions of others at this school, they will probably do well at St. John's. For children with broader inquisition, creative thought, and greater sensitivity in response to their environment, this school is not the right fit.

Posted August 10, 2011

As a former student, I can tell you that the students there are absolutely cruel. As previous reviewers have stated, if you are even slightly different, you will find it hard to fit in. Students whose views were not 100% in line with other students were ridiculed. My younger sister stayed at SJB until 4th grade and had to leave because the kids were calling her a baby killer since our family is pro-choice. Stay away from this school.

Posted July 31, 2011

St Johns school has been the easy choice for us for the past 11 years because of the wonderful, approachable teachers, the fantastic leadership and the focus on education in a faith-based environment.

Posted July 21, 2011

We have had children at St Johns for 8 years now and we have been extremely pleased. We hesitated to send them because we are not catholic. That worry quickly dissipated as we saw them being fully embraced by their teachers, classmates and Father Tix as well! They have never experienced bullying or negative comments and are thiriving in the close knit caring community of St. Johns.

Posted July 20, 2011

As a parent, I feel compelled to share our story about St. John's. We have been at St. John's for 7 years and are so proud of the decision that we very carefully made many years ago. It has always been our belief that strong morals and christian behavior start in the home, but to know that those same beliefs are instilled in our children every day at St. John's is wonderful! Our oldest daughter has endured many tough situations since she began school - the death of a very close friend's parent, the death of a grandparent and even the death of a classmate. With the nurturing and strong dedication of the teachers and staff at St. John's, she understands in ways that many children never will, that God has a plan for everyone and that faith and prayer can help us get through the toughest situations. Our youngest daughter struggled with reading in the 1st grade but was not struggling enough to qualify for Title I. The teacher recognized the situation and created additional reading help for her and other kids in her class by creating a "book club". The kids thought they were special by going to book club and our daughter is now above average in her reading!

Posted July 19, 2011

Con't.... . Hands down the most professional, caring, attentive, character building school I will ever go to. Even with my growing pains there, I wish I was back everyday. PS Bring back Mrs. Takach, later in life your kid will thank you A lot. -Written by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

12508 Lynn Avenue