Bad
Good

Our family moved to the Shakopee school district three years ago. Our daughter started 7th grade at West Junior High. Her initial impression was just alright - she was concerned with the environment, ie. drugs, etc. But right from the start, we could see that the teachers were incredible. The entire staff was responsive when we voiced our concerns about the general atmosphere as well as specific academic concerns. Each year our daughter has found special teachers to become her mentor and counselor. Our daughter came to the Shakopee district as a "on-the-line" average student for standardized testing (MAP). Due to the excellent teachers, she has improved her scores tremendously. In 8th grade, her Math teacher took special interest in her. Through this teacher and my daughter's effort, she brought up her MAP score 13 points - going from average to near exceeding standards in one academic year! She is now a freshman and continues to maintain her academic excellence, participate in sports and serve on the National Junior Honor Society. Our daughter has recognized her gifts and talents by attending this school.

I was disappointed with some of the 7th grade teachers at Shakopee West Junior High. Most of my son's teachers actually cared aboyt his progress in school and would send me emails on a regular basis, letting me know if there were any issues, like missing assignments or acting out in class to positive feedback. Other teachers, (science) would not return emails if there was a question or concern, and when spoken to at parent/ teacher conferences came off as arrogant and didnt really care if he understood the class or not. The school district should focus on quality teachers for all their schools before trying to get money for a new one.

The school offers a positive atmoshpere, great teachers and a variety of course levels that challenge students and prepare them for the future.

The only negative I have to say about the school is that the teachers try to hard to be friends with the kids as opposed to an authority. To often my child comes home with a stories about what is going on in the teachers personal life or what they did over the weekend. I do not feel this is appropriate classroom discussion. Some of the discussions should not even be shared outside of the classroom for that matter

I think this school is just wonderfull all the teachers are nice disapline need more work tho :)

A very good school with an excellent curriculum.

In my perspective I don't think this school has an overall good atmosphere. I think that it is an unsafe learning enviornment.

Last modified Shakopee West Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.