Posted April 19, 2011
This school is awesome! The principal is friendly and very visible; her strong leadership is evidenced by the overall positive school climate. The office staff is friendly and helpful. The teachers are caring and professional. The building is immaculate, well designed, and technologically advanced with a smart board in every classroom. The curriculum is challenging. The math and reading programs in particular are phenomenal. My kids are learning so much more than I expected at this early age. I could not ask for a better place for my kids to go to school. I volunteer there every week and feel appreciated and welcomed. I love my kids' teachers and have not heard a bad thing about any teacher there. I could go on and on. Big Woods is a phenomenal school.

Posted February 17, 2010
Big Woods provides a wonderful opportunity for students to grow in a caring and educationally sound atmosphere. The teachers are wonderful and nurturing and the administration is very willing to work with me as a parent. The reading and math curriculum are challenging, yet accomodations are made for each individual. I always feel welcomed by the staff and am encouraged to take part in my child's education. Hats off to Big Woods!

Big Woods Elementary School 1

Posted January 07, 2010
Sorry, can't recommend. Too many problems. Some decent teachers, but not enough. I think there is more concern for the adults in the school than for the kids. Poor coordination in math and english between schools. Kindergarten should be in the school. Too many transitions. Parents are not heard. Really too bad, the voters gave them a nice facility and they have wasted the opportunity.

Big Woods Elementary School 3

Posted January 05, 2010
There is a decent principal here, but not high quality teachers all around. Some are great, but others are just not worthy. Transition from the 'primary school' is difficult. They should have kindergarten right in the school. There is a culture of teacher bullying. A few teachers control most all of the deccisions while the good teachers and many parents just sit back and take it. The district administration does nothing. Test scores look o.k., but coordination with the middle school is pretty bad. We've had to re-do material that our kids were already taught once we got to the middle school because it wasn't coordinated. I would say this is a pretty average school. It won't get any better until some of the bullying and insider teachers are removed and replaced with competent and visionary instructors. There is no second language option in this school.

Big Woods Elementary School 0

Posted October 01, 2008
This is our first year at Big Woods elementary. So far I have been impressed with the way they let the children move freely in the room to learn. Sometimes they are on the carpet reading, sitting in their desks, and even at a group table. I love the fact they try and get the parents involved as much as possible. They teach respect, responsibility, and trust. I love the fact that they allow them freedoms throughout the day. My 1st grader feels so big and a little more grown up. As far as the math goes here at Big Woods, I think that it is going to be a great program. Everyday math is very visual and I think most students need that visual aspect with any subject. I know that I am a visual learner and I wish they were teaching this when I was a student. Good job!

Posted September 02, 2008
This school has a sound group of individuals working toward the same goal. My children are included, accepted and taught in a comfortable yet encouraging atmosphere. The staff, I and my kids are all responsible for the education they receive. They are learning leadership here.

Big Woods Elementary School 3

Posted February 26, 2007
I was very disappointed with the 4th grade teachers at Big Woods. The curriculum for Social and Math are Very slanted. Social inserts lots of potically liberal ideology and concerns, and the math (Everyday Math) is inadequate for most students, esp. those who struggle, and does not allow advanced students to move ahead. The personalities of the teachers and staff are very positive, unless a parent comes from a conservative or Christian worldview. There is no room to accomodate, they only offer to send your child to the 'planning room' if there is a topic or activity to which a parent objects. I had hoped to see politics (such as indoctrination regarding rainforests, global warming...) to be removed from the content but it was not, and wasn't taught as rightly 'one side of the issue'. It's not just 4th, but 4th seems to be a real problem.

Big Woods Elementary School
13470 Frankfort Parkway NE, St Michael, MN  55376
Last modified Big Woods Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Big Woods Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top