St. Paul, MN
Students enrolled: 1,632

Johnson Senior High School 2

Posted April 22, 2013
Johnson is a school with great potential, unfortunately this potential will not be realized for another 10 years. I would most definitely send my child here, but only because I want them to become street smart before entering college. I can attest to the quality of education Johnson provides to it's students, my family has had hundreds of Johnson graduates. The East Side community is the only thing holding this school together, so if you're comfortable with that mentality, then this is the school for you. If not, then I would look else where. The East Side has an extreme sense of identity, most of which has been lost or misconstrued into selfish pride on the current generations attending the school. Students with little supervision at home will struggle here! They will become subject to adult issues very rapidly and need much more attention than the school can afford. Get your child into the ROTC program! They may be ostracized by their peers a bit, but you won't regret it when they aren't repeating high school courses in college. Trust me on that! Some of the finest students in the city represent Johnson, but the same can be said about poorest performing students.

Johnson Senior High School 5

Posted February 14, 2013
My kid is thriving at Johnson (9th grade in 2011/12, and 10th grade in 2012/13). Johnson special ed teachers are exceptionally good at what they do, helping my daughter out of her shell socially and academically. She went from failing classes and being totally withdrawn (zero friends) at previous schools to making the B honor roll in 9th grade AND participating weekly in after school clubs. She is blossoming and truly believes she can go to college now! We feel so lucky to have finally found teachers who can give my kid what she needs to succeed (mostly extra patience and skilled redirection). I also appreciate how the school communicates with parents using prerecorded voice messages (especially when they let me know about serious violence at the school, how the situation was resolved with local law enforcement, and offering my kid resources to cope if we have any concerns). The principal is very professional and genuine, and I am amazed by the courtesy I have experienced as a parent trying to help my kid. I feel like we are all on the same team and my daughter is now "winning" because of it.

Johnson Senior High School 2

Posted June 04, 2012
This school is the pinnacle of "ghettoness". One of the most annoying things about this school are the moments within which you are walking to your next class during passing time, and a bunch of the more immature and ignorant students stand around in your way doing whatever it is that they're doing, and you have to literally shove them out of your way. Often times, you can see an authoritative figure telling these students to "head to class", because well, that's all they do. Stand around during passing time then arrive in class late. No need to go into the amount of fights which take place, because I'm sure you are well aware. Maybe just not the reasons for it, and I don't blame you, because I sure as heck don't know. I could assume that it either has anything to do with gangs, sex, or drugs though. And I am not even joking. Honestly, I couldn't say what weird things go on during [or after] school. Seeing myself as one of the more mature students, mixed in with my own realistic introverted personality, I just ignore many of those things. Ultimately, I am disappointed about the lack of insightful, intellectual and mature students that this school has to offer.

Johnson Senior High School 0

Posted February 04, 2010
I am a current student at Johnson and expect to be graduating here in 2011. This school is absolutely amazing. The relationship between student and teachers is very good and uplifting. Of course there are the occasional faults with small fights, but they are handled calmly and professionally. Also, the students are so diverse and so involved with the school. They give off a welcoming and family like atmosphere when they are together. The students are intelligent and optimistic and I believe that we don't regret choosing Johnson as our highschool choice.

Johnson Senior High School 0

Posted September 19, 2009
I am currently a freshman at Johnson. Although i have not been in this school very long, it really is amazing. The band is fantastic and I now have the chance to be in a play! All the activities are open to the whole school and the teachers are really nice. There are many oppertunities and chances to do great things in this school!

Johnson Senior High School 5

Posted May 27, 2008
Johnson has a great diversed atmosphere and everyone is different and unique in their own way and many students rise to the top quickly.

Johnson Senior High School 4

Posted September 26, 2007
- a former student
I just graduated from Johnson from the class of 2007 and I loved Johnson. During my sophmore year there was alot of fights, but the teachers did handle it fine. I do have to admit that the teachers do favor the athletes more but it's not to the point where they would pass an athlete because thier on a sport. The school has a great East Side Pride and it's perfect for the true East Sider!

Johnson Senior High School 3

Posted June 19, 2007
- a former student
Graduating in the top 10% of my class and being involved in many activities, I think that this is a good school for many. The teachers grading seems to be the same for all the students. This is a good school and I think that it depends on which part of the school you see that determines what you think the school's environment is. What one has to see is the Air Force Junior ROTC program because that is a great program and it does not involve any commitment to any military at all. The program is all about building better citizens and it's a fun and exciting program to be part of. You have to check it out if you're at Johnson Senior High School.

Johnson Senior High School 4

Posted May 11, 2007
Both my daughters attended Johnson. They saw a few fights in the halls but said teachers handled it right away. Both were top students of their class plus they participated in 2 sports. I have found the Principal to be very encouraging and able to be tough on kids that need to focus on academics.

Johnson Senior High School 3

Posted February 21, 2005
It is hard to remain too positive about this school. This school does little to foster the good students and more to discourage them. Victims are punished or blamed for situations above their control. The administration does not seem too supportive of parent's concerns or concerns of the students and that bothers me. It is under the school's jurisdiction to see that their students are safe and feels safe. I noticed that teachers tend to be a bit on the rude side. I feel the teachers should be better trained and should respect parents at conferences and respect the children. The children are the future and they should be prepared.

Johnson Senior High School
1349 Arcade St, St. Paul, MN  55106
Last modified Johnson Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Johnson Senior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top