Public charter
St. Paul, MN

Posted January 23, 2013
There is a new principal at the school, and this is her first year. I haven't had the opportunity to get to know her yet. She may be slightly more approachable, but it will be interesting to see if discipline falls off... New students from the surrounding urban neighborhood are finding the school and it will be important to maintain the culture of rigor and high standards. I think the parents from the neighborhood (I am one...) want these high standards for their kids. I have sent 3 kids to this school and found it an excellent place for my bright kids to learn that working hard is more important than being smart. The hard work required levels the playing field - every student can succeed if they put the effort forth. Although the school does not have an orchestra, they allow all instrumentalists to play in the band. The sports teams play against other charter schools and are not highly competitive, but provide the excellent experience of being on a team and improving the players' skills. Parents are welcomed as volunteers and students treat them warmly. As a charter school, this is a great place to get a "private" education feel for free!

Posted January 04, 2013
me being a student, I noticed that we usually vote 5 but it is the PARENTS who vote 1, this is a great school.

Posted June 14, 2012
Twin Cities Academy was the best years in my life and the teachers push you to the best of your abilites and teach a very hard and tough curriculum and the principal is nice is you get to know her. TCA keep doing what you do best: TEACHING

Posted December 07, 2011
This school is so great! The principal can be scary but just be a good student and she'll ignore you basically. A lot of the teachers are very nice and really help in class. There are only a couple who are too young and inexperienced. Any of the bad posts of this school are all lies unless you're a bad student. Being an 8th grader this year, I have learned much and grown as a person. They are very strict about bullying and definitely do not accept it. The seventh and sixth grade science teacher is the best teacher there. She is so fun and nice to everyone. I absolutely love this school and credit to helping me want to go to college and a private high school. There are so many opportunities to volunteer and it is great. If you are nice to the principal, student or parent, she will be nice back. This is a great school and i will definitely send my kids there in the future.

Posted December 07, 2011
I have been at TCA for 3 years and love it! It will be so sad to graduate at the end of the year. One of the best things about TCA is how close you get to your teachers! I personally feel that they are my friends rather than boring adults. Even thought i will not be attending the high school i will carry my experiences and memories with me throughout my entire life.. i would highly recommend TCA for anyone who wants a small, focused school with very helpful and understanding teachers.

Posted December 06, 2011
As an eighth-grader at TCA, I can honestly say that from 6th to 8th grade, I've had to work very hard. Teachers really push you, and the homework load isn't small, however it does get easier if you can manage your time. But kids here aren't afraid to ask for help and there is no bullying or popularity issues. I have had such a wonderful experience here, I intend to attend the High School! It starts and ends late, but it gets to be routine, and I like being able to sleep in a bit in the mornings! Teachers and students are friendly and smart, and while the Principal is no-nonsense, she's what makes this school great. There's great academics, a small school setting and a small student: teacher ratio. We have a student council, enrichment classes and end-of-quarter events, a school retreat, a 7/8 grade D.C. trip every other year, history day, student council, yearbook committee, sports, and a great environment; we're all a big family. There are uniforms, but they aren't bad. Awards are given out quarterly to students that have made significant progress, or are just doing great, and here, it's all about having a positive attitude, being respectful and persevering. Five stars!

Posted October 04, 2011
for parents considering rigorous acedemics for their child, this is the school. nothing untoward is tolerated. my son had his uniform shirt out of his pants and was diciplined for a year. the principal is a very intense woman...her results are amazing...virtually all kids end up in college...my son is receiving advanced admission at a variety of colleges because of his success at TCA...if you want your child to be prepared for college, this is the place.

Twin Cities Academy 1

Posted May 30, 2011
The principal is very rude. I was a visitor from another school checking up on a student. She was rude and not nice - I would never send my child there.

Twin Cities Academy 1

Posted May 12, 2011
The principal is NOT an approachable person. My daughter found money on the floor of a classroom, said something to her teacher, who basically ignored her, tried to turn it in to the office but there was no one there, so she brought it home to us. The next day she was called to the principal's office & accused of STEALING the money from another student's backpack. She explained to her that she did not have the money because she gave it to her dad, and that we had not brought it in because her little brother was in the hospital. The principal basically told her she was lying & left her in tears. When the principal called that evening & I explained that I had not spoken to my daughter yet because I was at the hospital with my youngest, she said that she would call us later & never called back OR returned any subsequnt phone calls. Way to go on starting the school year off right!!

Posted February 27, 2011
We are thrilled with this school. Our 7th grade daughter is at last happy, socially comfortable and excited about learning. No bullying issues, no popularity contests, no label distractions; the focus is exactly where it belongs. Teachers may be on the younger side, but state exam results attest to their abilities. As parents we are particularly pleased with the parent-school partnership. Parent involvement is not only welcome, it's required. Parent/teacher conferences are held quarterly and we can log into the school's website daily to see homework assignments, what's been turned in, what hasn't, and how our daughter is doing. This has been an invaluable tool in helping us keep her on track. The principal is intimidating -- okay, somewhat terrifying. In trying to figure out what makes this school what it is, what makes it great, she is that one variable I honestly believe has made all the difference. She's not putting up with any monkey business. Her eyes are fixed on educating her kids. Period. Hurray! On my daughter's graduation day I'm going to give our principal a big hug of gratitude -- and then run like crazy.

Twin Cities Academy
835 East 5th St, St. Paul, MN  55106
Last modified Twin Cities Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Twin Cities Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top