Public charter
St. Paul, MN

Great River School 2

Posted August 06, 2014
Great River seemed to be a good school at first, but once my child reached high school (A3), the work demands became unreasonable and the support was negligible. There was a general willingness to help my child, but no skills to do so. No flexibility with a very rigid curriculum. They seem to be so self-involved with the Montessori notion of education and they seem so impressed with themselves and their approach that it colors their ability to modify assignments in a meaningful way for kids who have special learning needs. They tried to modify but it still left him overwhelmed and didn't offer an alternative to a watered down version of the content rather than figuring out a way for him to still learn and enjoy learning. They conveyed an overall sense of failure to my child. After he left, his desire to learn came back and he now is an interested and interesting young man.

Posted January 26, 2014
As a student in the A1 I find that most of the teachers show no respect for there students, the teachers don't care about there students actual learning. The school does not seem to prepare you for the real world they only prepare you for working as a day laborer. You can only be yourself if you fit into the great river personality. finally the teachers grade you only on your ability to do busy work at ridicules rates. and if you want to be able to do anything after school you can forget it as there will sometimes be as much as 3-4 hours of homework and only an hour of it will actually ever help you. If you are unable to do this you then get locked inside a small room for lunch. Lastly the administration is clueless and irresponsible. Please do not send your children here if you care about them. -A concerned A1 student

Posted January 25, 2014
Our son is really enjoying being a student at GR, it's his first year (9th grade) attending and we are impressed with the great teachers,just a wonderful community to be apart of. We are so proud to be apart of GR!!!!!!!

Posted January 25, 2014
I have gone to this school for many two years and I love it. It has been a great learning place

Posted January 16, 2014
I have attended Great River School for two years and i have found it to be a healthy and nurturing learning environment. I came from a public middle school and found Great River to be much more welcoming and community centered place than my previous school. Great River has helped me develop as a student and a person through key experiences and hands on learning. Communication between students and faculty is also very present and the faculty makes an effort to work with the students to solve problems in the community. Overall i have found it to be a lovely school.

Posted December 18, 2013
This school is terrible at working with teens. They had a policy where if you had one missing assignment you had to stay in from recess and lunch all week. Does that sound a school that understands teens? They also have 3 hour classes in which they expect us to be productive the entire time. Sounds like a teen right? When i asked my math teacher Kira Donnelly if that could be changed she said it was non negotiable because it is a montessori policy. But guess what? Montessori was developed for younger children. She than went on to ask me to essentially leave the school. Me and several other people think it is part of a power play. My MCA math score dropped ever since I started going here. Also very disorganized and only good thing about this school is the community. I would not recommend this school for anyone unless they make some serious changes. This is a student trying to show you what this school is really like. Dont be fooled by the tours

Posted September 30, 2013
We were so excited when our child won the lottery for this school for seventh grade, as we had heard so many wonderful things about the school. We were stunned, then, to be told, "We're really not very good with special needs kids. Maybe you should consider sending your child somewhere else." Sorry, but I can't give a good rating to any school that cherry picks its students in this way. Fifty years ago, maybe, but today, "for shame, Great River, for shame."

Posted September 26, 2013
It is the perfect school for my son. Community learning environment, small classes, and personal and continous support from teachers and staff, are wonderful.

Posted July 16, 2013
My son graduated from Great River School where he attended from 7th grade on. He is now entering his junior year in an academically challenging college program. He has excelled in college and credits much of this to his Montessori education that taught him to be a self-directed learner. The trips and other non-traditional high school activities were also great learning experiences. He still talks about some of the things he learned from those trips. Montessori education isn't for everyone, but it works well for motivated, self-directed learners. We are happy Great River was an option for him.

Great River School 2

Posted March 21, 2013
We considered Great River for our child. We attended an open house and, on a separate occasion, received a tour. We found the teachers at the open house to be very impressive, and their academic program seems like an excellent option for some kids. We have been extremely unimpressed with the administrative members with whom we have had contact. They were unprofessional, and when we went on the tour, we had the distinct feeling that we were wasting their time. The person who gave the tour showed absolutely no interest in our child and was extremely slow to respond to our follow-up emails, etc. They acted like they are a private school, not the public school that they are, and they make it difficult to find enrollment targets by grade level for the upcoming year. The appearance is that they hold the information and don't want to share with people outside of the school. Board meeting minutes are vague and don't provide much information about what was actually discussed at the meetings.

Great River School
1326 Energy Park Dr, St. Paul, MN  55108
Last modified Great River School is a Charter school that serves grades 1-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Great River School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top