Public charter
St Paul, MN
Before care: Yes

Higher Ground Academy 2

Posted April 06, 2011
Higher Ground Academy has not received good publicity as KSTP recently uncovered unlicensed teachers. The principal now claims that there are only two unlicensed teachers, but down-played the severity by saying both licenses have just relapsed. IT DOESN'T MATTER...bottom line, he knowingly broke the law. As a parent, I also know that when the classroom teacher is absent, if the one building sub is not available then the teaching assistant (unlicensed) teaches and supervises the entire class all day alone. This is unacceptable and also probably illegal. I'm very unhappy that the principal and director of this school would make such a costly and conscious error. They didn't worry about the repercussions and did not care about the livelihood of the children. They're running around trying to exercise some sort of damage control, but it's really unfortunate that they betrayed the trust of the children and parents and staff in the first place. I'll allow my children to finish the remainder of the year, but will most certainly transfer them to a school next year that offers high quality education as well as a school that abides by MN law and follows the teacher code of ethics.

Posted April 10, 2010

Higher Ground Academy 5

Posted February 16, 2010

Posted January 09, 2010
I am a one of the HGA highschoolersstudent. HGA is the best school I have ever seen. I love Higher Ground Acedamy.Don't take my word for it.Don't you want to find out the truth? I highly sugest that you come and vist this school to find more about it.

Posted November 01, 2009

Higher Ground Academy 5

Posted June 12, 2009
I just graduated from Higher Ground Academy. I am admited to a University of my choice. I am sure I will do well in college. They have prepared me well for it. I wish the school was not too serious. They teach you a lot but not much fun. The principal is a good man. Great teachers too!

Posted April 08, 2009
HGA's curriculum is based on traditional teaching practices that does not tap into the several learning styles that students have. The students are able to produce above-average test scores because they are taught a test-based curriculum. Unfortunately, this teaching method fails to tap into the students' creativity thus affecting other aspects of education such as conceptual knowledge and meaningful learning. Resources are very limited. HGA does not offer a school library and tries to compensate by rationalizing they don't need one because of the less-than adequate classroom library. Teachers in general at most schools use their own personal collection for their classroom library to supplement the school's library not because there's lack of one. HGA boasts a technology-based curriculum by using a program called 'A+'. This program simply does not teach most concepts well or appropriately. It does not truly measure whether or not an objective is met.

Posted November 15, 2008
I am one of the students in HGA right now. I can say HGA is the best character school in the state. It may not be famouse school but its a place where u can learn better than public schools by unknown name.

Posted September 01, 2008
Higher ground is the best school ever!!!!!!

Posted March 24, 2008
I am a former teacher of HGA, and as an instructor we weren't supplied with teaching materials, there weren't any ttext books for the students nor were there teaching materials for theteachers. I bought all my books, planning aids and organized my classroom under these conditions for three years. It was a disheartening thing to see,and it is still the same 'crap' going on today. Yes they have also been on the chopping block with the Board of Education many times and how they are surviving ---is a mystery

Higher Ground Academy
1381 Marshall Ave, St Paul, MN  55104
Last modified Higher Ground Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Higher Ground Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top