No rating

Benilde-St Margaret's School

Private | 7-12 | 231 students

Living in St. Louis Park

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $259,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $950.

Posted February 10, 2014

For the child that posted about religion. Guess what it's a catholic school, did you consider this may be why you have religion in your school day. It's that attitude of negativity that this school doesn't need. Benilde hasa very good balance of academic with some religous studies. Not by any means overly religous as a matter of fact compared to other catholic schools in the twin cities it has much less, which to some means there is not enough. It is always odd when one who attends a private Catholic School that costs a lot of money to go to and is Private and Catholic which means there will be some religion, complains. Just leave and go to a public school. These statements are just silly and have no relevance to the quality of education and the values parents are trying to instill by having a supportive academic experience for their children. Benilde is a good school and yes it has religion and has values and high standards for it's students. If you want a stellar academic life with a nice balance of religous education with an excellent outcome for your child to attend the best colleges and universitys is the country, then BSM may be it.

Posted April 25, 2013

This is the worst school I have ever been to in my life. And believe me, I have been to many schools. I am currently going to BSM and can't wait to leave. The teachers are O.K. but the way they put so much emphasis on religion just makes me mad. We could be spending time doing other things that are a lot more educational than RELIGION. The sports are more of a joke than anything else and the school still has so much faith in their "Red Knights" that they don't even seem to notice (or care). It makes me furious that the parents giving out these reviews are saying that this school is awesome and worth going to when it is really terrible. The only reason why the parents are saying it is a great school is because they do not go to it themselves. I am tired of this school and can't wait until the school year ends so I can go back to my old school. To conclude my "angry" review I have 5 words for you. DO. NOT. GO. TO. BSM.

Posted February 4, 2013

I was in 9th grade at this school, and just transferred to wayzata. I went to BSM for 7th, 8th, and half of 9th grade. I absolute hate it here they have no good classes and the teachers don't care about you and don't care how you do they just want to be paid. Waste of 12,000! Do not go here/ send your kid here - former student

Posted April 2, 2012

Here is an objective, unbiased view from a recent graduate (class of 2011). The administration does genuinely care about students, their experiences and success. Principal Skinner more so than President Tift. Many teachers, especially in the English/liberal arts programs, care about students and are willing to go out of their way to help. The math and science programs are just average, we only have 1 AP science class where Edina, Minnetonka, etc. have many. Overall, BSM is a very easy academic school for the gifted student, we don't have IB, not too many APs (the social studies AP classes are awful, look at our AP test scores), but if you are just average, then go here. The kids overall are great. There are many kids who are very smart and just not challenged enough, even when taking all the hardest classes. Luckily our college counselors are pretty good. The reason we have good college placement is because we have motivated students, not good classes or teachers. The sports scene is fantastic, no doubt about that. Oh and the ACS program is a joke. It looks good when applying to college but you don't actually do anything. Overall, a good school, but not $12,000/year good.

Posted September 11, 2011

Benilde prepared me for college, as I knew very well how to study. I had at least 3-4 hours of homework and studying every evening. And, I participated in sports, right after school. I had some of the best teachers I could ask for, especially Math, English, Religion, Social Studies, French. The sports were so-so, but I was there for the academics anyway. I met some great, life-long friends at BSM. The one drawback that stands out the most, is the competitive nature of the social scene. Most of the students come from affluent backgrounds, with a lot of disposable incomes. I felt "out of the crowd" because I didn't come from alot of money, and I didn't drink and "party" like many of my classmates. Overall, I did get a fabulous education, which prepared me for a great college. The social aspect is one thing I wish were different. - Former Student

Posted November 12, 2010

BSM is my dream school. The teachers really care about their students and their success. BSM has a range of classes which includes very challenging courses. BSM is my family and anyone is welcomed into this amazing community.

Posted April 9, 2010

Not worth the money. Send a kid to public school. Administration does not care about its students. The teachers are pretty good but the higher ups are difficult to deal with.

Posted February 14, 2010

My child has been taught more in 2 years at BSM then 7 years at the Osseo district. It is an exceptional school, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Posted September 16, 2009

BSM is THE school of choice in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. It is college prep with a strong emphasis in service learning. It is one of only a very few schools that has a full time service learning coordinator, and has recently added a wellness component, for students and faculty and staff. It offers a uniquely caring experience that includes faith formation, academic rigor, social responsibility, and extensive extracurricular activities. Students are educated to be leaders for a global society. It is an absolute joy to work in this community!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 14, 2009

The Administration does not care about their students. They do a terrible job accommodating students with IEPs. I would not send my child here for any amount of money. Send your kids to public schools.

Posted January 17, 2009

Wow, we are very impressed with this school. Terrific teachers, wonderful principal and parents that really care about their kids. Highly recommend for high school kids coming from large public schools. They will really appreciate the opportunities there are for students to get involved in a variety of activities or sports. Very welcoming environment and friendly environment.

Posted March 1, 2008

BSM has exceeded our expectations. We have three totally different children and all are having active, challenging, engaging and fulfilling experiences. Our oldest graduated with superb preparation, an excellent choice of colleges, and is having an outstanding college experience. He consistently notes how BSM prepared him intellectually and emotionally for life beyond high school. Our other two children are having different but similar experiences. Inspiring and caring teachers, a vast array of opportunities including mission trips and study abroad experiences, and a school community that has an infectious spirit shaped by the high level of student and parent involvement. Finally, BSM is a Catholic community that is inclusive and respects the importance of faith. We live in a nationally-ranked school district, but sought a culture that put more emphasis on servant leadership and pushed each individual to strive for a higher personal standard. BSM is that place. Go Red Knights!

Posted February 17, 2008

I have had two children go through Benilde-St. Margaret's school and have been impressed by their commitment to academics, extracurriculars and service learning. They tie it all back to their Catholic mission in a manner that I thought was really effective for the students. I am really pleased with the way my children's faith journies were nurtured. And when you compare BSM to like schools in the area, I think it is a tremendous value for the money.

Posted January 28, 2008

I love Benilde St. Margarets! I came from a school where I was not accepted well, and when I came to BSM, it felt like finally coming home. Every day, I wake up, happy to go to school, like I never was before. I could never fully express my love for this school. Everyone is accepting and kind, and I could never wish for a better place to go to school. Every day, I go to school, my second home.

Posted October 31, 2007

My husband and I are the parents of 8 BSM graduates. We have been a part of this very nurturing community for the past 20 years. BSM gives the best education and prepares students to succeed in college and life. BSM motivates it's students to be the most they can be and be stewards of the greater community. It has a active service learning program which encourages students to look outside their immediate area and become part of the twin city community. We have strong academic programs; including an ACS engineering program. Our music and drama departments are two of the strongest in the state. Our athletic teams are state tournament caliber. BSM has the hightest percentage of students involved in extracirricular activities of all kinds in the state. Our faculty, staff, & administration care about the student and their whole family. It is the halmark of our mission.

Posted October 4, 2007

I just graduated last year from Benilde-St. Margaret's and have found that I am ahead of most of the people at college. I have better time management skills and just seem to be ahead in many other ways. I loved Benilde and was there for all 6 years. I think that they do do a good job getting us prepared for college. I do have to agree though that the bad teachers are bad but most of the teachers will do anything to help you if you are struggling.

Posted January 5, 2007

I am a current student at BSM, and I have found it very good so far. I like how the size is not too big, nor too small. The sports are all very good, and the fine arts are fairly decent. The opportunities for advancement are all very present. If one has an extreme talent in a certain area, it will get taken care of at BSM. Many parents are involved. I see my friends' parents at the school all the time, and my parents help out as well. Many say that there is a drug problem, but I believe that it is well taken care of. There are police dogs that come in and inspect every locker and classroom. Overall, a fantastic school that I would suggest that you would consider as your child's middle school/high school.

Posted May 21, 2006

Greetings! We have had a great experience with our child at BSM. Our child loves school and the challenges BSM holds. Our child is able to learn in a healthy and safe environment. An environment that also teaches about God. What more could you ask for? We highly recommend Benilde St. Margaret's!

Posted August 25, 2005

I'm a former student who attended college in Boston thanks to scholarships. Benilde was a good, wholesome time, and it's an excellent education compared to the public schools in the area...but it's really starting to get rich. The school used to cater to Robinsdale-Crystal kids---now it's mostly Minnetonka and Plymouth. The teachers are occasionally very good and committed, but there are a number of very poor teachers. The athletics programs are well-funded and well-coached, but the fine arts are often neglected. College guidance is non-existent, presumably because most current parents are wealthy enough to pay for their kids' higher education.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 19, 2005

BSM is resting on its laurels. There are some phenomenal teachers, and many mediocre teachers and some who think nothing of insulting students (I don't mean constructive criticism - I mean insults). We've talked to counselors and administration and they are not taking our concerns seriously. There are some amazing teachers - but the bad are SO VERY BAD. Many students smoke pot on the way to school, some even carry water bottles filled with vodka. I am a current parent and the drug info was provided by my student. Too many of these kids have lots of stuff from their parents but no time, attention or discipline. It creates tremendous stress for the kids who DO want to learn. Stick with the public school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2501 Highway 100