Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

There is a strong school community that embraces treating others with respect and viewing differences as strengths. My kids have diverse friendship groups which I believe is a great sign of a health community.

I have three kids at this school and have been very impressed. The teachers are engaged and adaptive to the needs of different kids. I was concerned leaving my eldest child at this school after he tested as gifted (nothing too special as many kids do the way they test) and some kids left for the gifted / talented magnet. We left our child at Expo and the teachers have done a great job pushing him academically so he continues to be challenged. Mr. Mark is an extraordinary math teacher and a great asset to the school though all the teachers we've had have been great. Finally, the school community and PTO is healthy and engaged. All three of my kids are thriving at Expo.

a great school for all kids. There is a good mix of diversity and a staff that are very attentive to the needs of the children. With diminished resources, they still meet the social and emotional needs of the students while always improving the academic scores

I love this school! My son with autism goes to school here and loves it! I noticed my son developing more vocabulary words and he is always excited to go to school

I have two children at this school currently and am quite pleased with EXPO. They both have very different needs socially, developmentally, and academically and the teachers, staff and principal have been very warm, caring, and responsive to our requests. There are many activities for the children to participate in, an active PTO, lots of opportunities for parent involvement and many parents do get involved. It is a vibrant community that truly focuses on creating a safe, fun, productive, and stimulating learning environment for all students.

I love Expo Elementary! My children have been at this school for 5 years now and although there have been many changes, the teachers and principal have done a great job of adjusting in the face of district wide cuts and changes. My children receive gifted and talented services but are also appropriately challenged in their classroom. We chose this school for the variety of resources and the diversity and have been thrilled with both. I believe with all my being that this school is preparing my children to be good students with a love and ability to learn, but most importantly they are learning what it is to be part of a community. A community of learners, teachers, adults, kids, families, rich, poor, black, white, Christian, Muslims, and everything in between. All are valued and all are important... now this is a lesson worth learning for success both in and out of the classroom! Thank you Expo for giving my children the foundation for a lifetime love of learning!

I recently found a new school for my son after two years at Expo. The staff was absolutely ineffective and apathetic at managing a very difficult social atmosphere that seems to exist at this school. The teacher farmed out concerns to the social worker, and then did not enforce management, and seemed to actually side with the bullies. The principal seems to favor a handful of families who have the time and resources to establish a power base. The needs of the individual child do not seem to register. The Gifted/Talented services were basically non-existent. I have heard this used to be a good school, but solid teachers have retired. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

The best thing about Expo is its playground, and fortunately you don't need to be a student there to play at it. Unfortunately, Expo's negatives outweigh its positives. To begin with, I would avoid this school if your child is academically advanced, or even if your child is a very eager learner, because intellectual curiosity is not encouraged here. For the most part, the curriculum is not challenging, and if your child is labeled G/T, the G/T services are abysmal. Second, Expo's culture has changed for the worse in the past few of years. Bullying has increased, and the staff typically ignores complaints rather than addresses them. Third, the principal is very nice and has a kid-friendly personality; however, he doesn't seem to take his job seriously. He does an extremely poor job of communicating with parents, and he frequently passes messages down for other staff to answer on his behalf. If I email the principal, then I expect him to respond, not some staff member that I've never had contact with before. It would be interesting to see how the district's realignment will impact Expo; however, my family was extremely unhappy at this school and will no longer be attending here.

Expo Elementary has undergone many changes in recent years that have shifted its emphasis. It used to be an innovative magnet school responsive to the "multiple intelligences" of children from very diverse backgrounds led by a visionary principal and extremely talented teachers. While most of the talented teachers remain, Expo is now a less diverse community school following the district's standardized curriculum. Our family has been part of the school for many years and we no longer feel the school offers any advantage over traditional neighborhood schools. If you are looking for child-centered and innovative approaches to education, you might want to look elsewhere.

EXPO elementary has been a mix bag. My child has had a real mix of incredibly good teachers with fantastic classroom control to those that make me cringe. The child is frequently unhappy but is very dramatic. The school seems to take an active role in anti-bullying but my child still feels bullied regularly. Teachers are forced to teach a curriculum from the central school district and I think this has caused some of them to lose their way. The school provides a social worker and this is fantastic...if you can get to see her and get her to actually work with your child. Hands-on work with behavioural issues was better at younger grades and is less good in older years. Mainstreamed students with autism and other different abilities are often very distracting to the rest of the class and teachers often seem unable to manage them.

Last modified Expo/Harriet Bishop Center is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.