Bad
Good

Highland Middle School 3

Posted January 06, 2016
A middle school that has an optional homework policy is making a mistake. Students are not going to be well prepared for being successful in a rigorous high school. Making homework optional creates a new kind of achievement gap between the students whose parents make them do the homework anyway and the students whose parents don't care. Except for this goofy homework policy, this is a well-run school with hard working teachers.

Highland Middle School 4

Posted October 23, 2015
There are great teachers here, but school district policies hinder the performance of this great school. There is a disparity of financial support versus schools that have higher "free and reduced lunch" populations. This translates to greater demand on teachers with larger class sizes which consequently delivers a lower quality of service to the students. Great community of parents that seem to care about their child's education!!!

Posted October 21, 2015
I have a 7th grader that transferred to HPMS this year and I'm so happy we made the move! The teachers have been so welcoming and helpful. My daughter loves going to school now. She has made lots of new friends and is learning a lot. We are really happy with HPMS!

Posted December 24, 2014
My son is a 6th grader at HPMS. The school seems well-run and the teachers are enthusiastic.. My son and his friends never talk about any school behavior issues. My son has met a bunch of likeable new kids. There are opportunities to do advanced work as the 6th graders take 6th, 7th, or 8th grade math. There are many after-school activities. The 6th graders play on the sports teams. My complaint is about the grading policy featuring optional homework. The homework assignments are not included in the quarterly grades and the entire quarter grade is based on a relatively small number of projects or quizzes. This is not idea for my kid by the end of the first quarter he figured out that there was relatively little to be gained gradewise for doing each assignment and now it is a hassle to get him to do all the work regularly when it isn't part of the grade. I understand the whole formative vs. summative thing (the homeworks provide feedback but aren't part of the grade) where the quarterly grade is determined by a fairly small number of projects or quizzes. I d like there to be a greater incentive to complete each day s assignment.

Posted October 12, 2009
I am a student in the immersion program at Highland Park Junior High and I have had a great experience. Not only am I able to continue Spanish Immersion (which starts in Kindergarten at Adams) but I can also learn chinese! The sports and clubs are great, since you can do one at the junior high or at the high school if they don't offer it at the junior high (they are next door to each other). The clubs include Lego League, Debate Team, Ballroom Dance, Chinese Dance, Drama, Math Team, and others. Although it does start at 7:30 A.M., that turns into a benefit because you can do sports and after-school activities and still have plenty of time at home for homework.

Highland Middle School 4

Posted September 16, 2008
Im a student at Highland and I think Highland is a good school and I don't see anything wrong.

Posted March 01, 2008
Wow, this is such an excellent school,my children love it here.

Highland Middle School 1

Posted December 29, 2005
I had thought I'd put my son in a good school. He was and still is interested in learning chinese. What I didn't know was that the staff did not show any respect towards students. I happened to be withdrawing my son from school because we were moving. My son is a good kid, yet he was talked to like he wasn't! Students weren't allowed to speak their minds; even though they are correct. The biggest mistake I've made is to think this school was a good school. I will never put any of my other children in this school.

Posted May 11, 2004
This school works very hard and has great activties.I go there and I loves it. Although there is violence like any junior high, they are doing things to deal with it.

Highland Middle School
975 South Snelling Ave, St. Paul, MN  55116
Last modified Highland Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.