Public charter
St. Paul, MN

Posted June 04, 2015
TCA is a great school. My student needed challenge and she is getting it here. The student behavior is way better than the local public schools and the teachers are excellent. I'm not sure about the other parents but the principal is wonderful for our family!

Twin Cities Academy 1

Posted March 17, 2015
The parent who wondered if the discipline and rigor would decline with the new Principal...the answer is a resounding YES! We came to this school because of the reputation built by the last principal. The culture and standards set by this new principal falls extremely short of the old one. My child's classes are disorderly, the kids are unruly, and the teachers perform horrendously. They don't stay on top of the kid's work, they don't enforce their homework deadlines, and they have no idea on the progress your kids is making. My child's math teacher grades on completion, not accuracy so for every test that is taken, there has to be a retest because the students score so poorly. If he was grading homework, he would know the kids weren't ready for the tests. He could see who understood the materials and who didn't. My kid is a straight A student and made student of the month but this is because of all the work I do at home with her. TCA has been a terribly disappointing experience. We plan taking our child out next year.

Posted January 23, 2013
There is a new principal at the school, and this is her first year. I haven't had the opportunity to get to know her yet. She may be slightly more approachable, but it will be interesting to see if discipline falls off... New students from the surrounding urban neighborhood are finding the school and it will be important to maintain the culture of rigor and high standards. I think the parents from the neighborhood (I am one...) want these high standards for their kids. I have sent 3 kids to this school and found it an excellent place for my bright kids to learn that working hard is more important than being smart. The hard work required levels the playing field - every student can succeed if they put the effort forth. Although the school does not have an orchestra, they allow all instrumentalists to play in the band. The sports teams play against other charter schools and are not highly competitive, but provide the excellent experience of being on a team and improving the players' skills. Parents are welcomed as volunteers and students treat them warmly. As a charter school, this is a great place to get a "private" education feel for free!

Posted January 04, 2013
me being a student, I noticed that we usually vote 5 but it is the PARENTS who vote 1, this is a great school.

Posted June 14, 2012
Twin Cities Academy was the best years in my life and the teachers push you to the best of your abilites and teach a very hard and tough curriculum and the principal is nice is you get to know her. TCA keep doing what you do best: TEACHING

Posted December 07, 2011
This school is so great! The principal can be scary but just be a good student and she'll ignore you basically. A lot of the teachers are very nice and really help in class. There are only a couple who are too young and inexperienced. Any of the bad posts of this school are all lies unless you're a bad student. Being an 8th grader this year, I have learned much and grown as a person. They are very strict about bullying and definitely do not accept it. The seventh and sixth grade science teacher is the best teacher there. She is so fun and nice to everyone. I absolutely love this school and credit to helping me want to go to college and a private high school. There are so many opportunities to volunteer and it is great. If you are nice to the principal, student or parent, she will be nice back. This is a great school and i will definitely send my kids there in the future.

Posted December 07, 2011
I have been at TCA for 3 years and love it! It will be so sad to graduate at the end of the year. One of the best things about TCA is how close you get to your teachers! I personally feel that they are my friends rather than boring adults. Even thought i will not be attending the high school i will carry my experiences and memories with me throughout my entire life.. i would highly recommend TCA for anyone who wants a small, focused school with very helpful and understanding teachers.

Posted December 06, 2011
As an eighth-grader at TCA, I can honestly say that from 6th to 8th grade, I've had to work very hard. Teachers really push you, and the homework load isn't small, however it does get easier if you can manage your time. But kids here aren't afraid to ask for help and there is no bullying or popularity issues. I have had such a wonderful experience here, I intend to attend the High School! It starts and ends late, but it gets to be routine, and I like being able to sleep in a bit in the mornings! Teachers and students are friendly and smart, and while the Principal is no-nonsense, she's what makes this school great. There's great academics, a small school setting and a small student: teacher ratio. We have a student council, enrichment classes and end-of-quarter events, a school retreat, a 7/8 grade D.C. trip every other year, history day, student council, yearbook committee, sports, and a great environment; we're all a big family. There are uniforms, but they aren't bad. Awards are given out quarterly to students that have made significant progress, or are just doing great, and here, it's all about having a positive attitude, being respectful and persevering. Five stars!

Posted October 04, 2011
for parents considering rigorous acedemics for their child, this is the school. nothing untoward is tolerated. my son had his uniform shirt out of his pants and was diciplined for a year. the principal is a very intense woman...her results are amazing...virtually all kids end up in college...my son is receiving advanced admission at a variety of colleges because of his success at TCA...if you want your child to be prepared for college, this is the place.

Twin Cities Academy 1

Posted May 30, 2011
The principal is very rude. I was a visitor from another school checking up on a student. She was rude and not nice - I would never send my child there.

Twin Cities Academy
835 East 5th St, St. Paul, MN  55106
Last modified Twin Cities Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Twin Cities Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top