197 students|Avalon School

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Avalon School 5

Posted February 04, 2016
Two of my sons enrolled at Avalon last fall and are both very happy with their experience there. During a snowstorm this past week, my middle school aged son actually said, "I kinda hope we don't have a snow day tomorrow because I want to finish the cool project we're doing in social studies." I never have heard a 12 - year old say such a thing before. I love that the advisors treat the students with such respect, recognize them as individuals, and teach them how to advocate for themselves and their own learning.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted February 04, 2016
Advisors at Avalon work closely with their classes to develop healthy and open communication and respect within the community. There are open discussions about learning differences, gender and sexuality issues, personal interests, and everyone's right to respect and safety.

Avalon School 5

Posted February 03, 2016
I transferred to Avalon from a large suburban school halfway through my sophomore year. It was the best decision I could ever have made. I was never bullied at my old school but they never did anything to make me feel accepted despite being with the same group of kids since kindergarten. Avalon shaped me into the person I am today. I can express my opinions honestly and respectfully and I can work with a large variety of people (including ones I do not get along with or rather do not like). Avalon taught me real world skills through seemingly unrelated tasks. Sitting and shucking a hundred pounds of beans doesn't seem to teach anything other than dexterity but I learned how to listen to people and their stories and how many hands make light work. Being held responsible for my work and my behavior made me step up and become the person I wanted to be. To respond to some of the issues brought up: 1. Every single teacher at Avalon has AT LEAST 1 teaching degree. 2. Advisors do not babysit, they let the students be themselves and intervene when necessary. As a student that was my favorite part. I could go about my day in the way I found efficient and wasn't lorded over by my advisor. But he was always there when I needed him-for anything. 3. You cannot fake an entire project. At the beginning of each project you (the student) write out a rubric that describes what you must do in order to obtain a certain grade. You also estimate how many hours you think this project will take. If a student says they're going to spend 90 hours on a project and they come to the project finalization with a project that obviously looks like only 20 hours of work-they are not given the 90 hours. Just because the students are free to design projects how they please doesn't mean the staff lets them get away with lying. This school changed my life and if "regular" public school isn't working for your child-I HIGHLY recommend Avalon. It worked for me and it hasn't worked for others but I know MANY more who have found success at this wonderful school.

Avalon School 4

Posted February 02, 2016
The teachers care deeply about all the children and I have seen nothing but brilliance coming from my sons' teachers. Project based learning is student driven, and if students fail at a project, it's part of the learning process. Serious learners thrive here. One who are just jumping through the hoops, just jump through the hoops. It's a complex situation and absurd to rate with a single grade. (Which is another reason to love Avalon: they actually write things and give meaningful feedback, unlike this site which has the silliest of scales. All serious researchers know how fickle opinions are.)

Avalon School 1

Posted January 28, 2016
Students just slide through. Some really great advisors. Ours is horrible - lost work blamed on students, walks away and misses meetings, totally confusing/contradictory in her descriptions of expectations, etc. Too few seminars - they don't vary much, so once students have taken seminars in area of interest, they just sit on their projects all day. This does not prepare them for the college experience at all.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted January 28, 2016
Because we have a horrible advisor so not for us, no. The school needs to take a close look at who needs to go because they are ineffective.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted January 28, 2016
It's all fake- I think students coming from here will really struggle in the real world

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted January 28, 2016
students log reading hours that they don't even do, I bet some also fake their whole project

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 31, 2015
Some of the teachers at Avalon don't even have a teaching license or degree. While I think that says everything it needs to, there's much more I can say. Teachers cant even keep students quiet enough to allow each other to work on projects. A project based school can go one of two ways, it can be a creative and expressive way to learn, or it can be a crutch for lazy students and ESPECIALLY lazy teachers. Can you guess which one Avalon is? Avalon teachers will often complain about how busy they are when they teach only one class a quarter. Projects only keep them "busy" twice during their entire existence. Once at a 15 minute proposal meeting to make sure the project "meets standards" and once when the project is finalized. This includes glancing over the project for about 10 minutes and then making it painfully obvious that they have no idea what's in the project they supposedly just graded during the finalization meeting which lasts another 15 minutes. During this meeting, the student picks their own grade, and I have seen a teacher change this grade maybe twice.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted May 31, 2015
Homework is basically only given in the math class, and it is never checked to make sure it's done. Students can make "projects" and fake their way through their entire high school career as there is no verification on what they have learned.

700 Glendale Street, St. Paul, MN  55114
Last modified Avalon School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Avalon School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 151 reviews. Top