Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Twin Cities German Immersion Charter School 4

Posted January 12, 2016
Our family has had an overall positive experience at TCGIS. Even when issues have come up I felt that the administrations and teaching staff addressed them appropriately and in a timely manner. Not every teacher is great, but that's the same at any school. They all bring a different set of talents and overall our son has enjoyed all of them and learned from each. I don't understand some other parents' comments about "safety". Our son feels completely safe and has no problem telling his teacher or other staff if he has a problem. I am grateful for the low teacher to student ratio, the intern program and all of the great parents who are working hard to help our kiddos flourish. Just because things haven't stayed exactly as they were three years ago (what does?) doesn't mean that all the changes are bad. We love the school and we will stay.

Twin Cities German Immersion Charter School 5

Posted December 06, 2015
My kids both go to TCGIS. They speak fluent German now and for the most part, have always loved school. I feel extremely lucky for them to go to this school. It is hard to understand all the complaints. Strong academics, hardworking dedicated kind teachers, positive learning environment. No school is perfect but TCGIS is about as good as it gets.

Twin Cities German Immersion Charter School 2

Posted November 05, 2015
I am giving this school two stars only because I am extremely unhappy about the current administration. The culture of the school has dramatically changed in the past two years from a thriving community to a place of command, control and fear. Yes, fear!!! Teachers and other staff are afraid and have to work under rigid rules and uptight supervision. Children are treated disrespectfully, parents are kept out of the school with new policies. I could go on. This place has so much potential because of the amazing teachers, the wonderful office staff, the students and parent community. But the principal has to go!!!

Twin Cities German Immersion Charter School 2

Posted October 21, 2015
The teachers are disrespectful of the students, as as former student I did not feel as if I could trust them to talk to, the principal is mean, overly strict and uptight, and you have no independence. If you are advanced in any subject stay away from this school as there are no options for advanced students.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 21, 2015
My seventh grade English and German teachers. They were wonderful, kind, and understanding, as well as very capable teachers whom I learned a lot from. Unfortunately they have left for better places. Good luck to them. I miss you.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted October 21, 2015
Most of the good teachers that I've had have left the school because they did not like how it was run, so we are left with sucky ones.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted October 21, 2015
Yes, but for me at least it was only because I wanted to prove the TCGIS staff wrong about how incapable I was.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted October 21, 2015
Yes, but in a bad way. At least when I was there, I was respectful to my teachers and principal because I was scared of what would happen if I wasn't.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 27, 2015
Some teachers are great, some are not. But you'll get that at any school. There has some some teachers that many kids like, and some get made fun of on the playground.

Twin Cities German Immersion Charter School 3

Posted April 25, 2015
I very much agree with the points submitted by a parent on 3/25. These points would not have existed 3 years ago. I encourage any family to ask a lot of questions and get a wide variety of perspectives. Look beyond the face value of information given at coordinated events like open houses and tours. Attend Board and committee meetings or watch the pod casts posted on the website. How are people with differing thoughts (on topics including the controversial second campus) treated? How vibrant is the PTO? How engaged (volunteering, donations, involvement in school gatherings) are families across the grades? Why did the teachers feel they needed to unionize? Do children feel safe and valued as kids around Administration? I smiled ruefully at the there will be a glowing review following mine because I see it happen on other ratings sites for the school's leadership. It begs the question why are the reviews so polarized? My kids are doing fine but we are considering leaving not something we thought possible when we signed on years ago.

1031 Como Avenue, St. Paul, MN  55103
Last modified Twin Cities German Immersion Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.